Groups

Computer specs comparison help.

I was wondering if anyone can have a quick look over this and see if any of the specs are a downgrade?
    Thanks.

10 Comments

Original Poster

Computer 1:

2.53GHz Intel Core i5
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRM - 2x2GB
    500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3

Computer 2:

2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    500GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm
    Intel HD Graphics 30005 and AMD Radeon HD 6490M with automatic graphics switching
    256MB GDDR5

Computer 1 = old, computer 2 = new

Someone told me the graphics card was a downgrade and wanted some other opinions, thanks.

Why you upgarding anyway?

Original Poster

fmgod

Why you upgarding anyway?

It's a replacement.
    My friend said graphics are a downgrade and that I should have been given the model up.
    Plus I upgraded my original computer but was given the base model.
    But tbh it looks like an upgrade to me, I'm just curious to see what other people think.

The newer graphics card runs Direct x 11 which is newer and "better" tbh I don't think your notice too much difference between them. More compatablity with newer games.

Tbh as long as the prrocessors are the same build eg Clarkson, Sandy Bridge, it's a decent replacement and you've got the upgrade from the I5 to the I7
    Edited by: "fmgod" 28th Mar 2011

Not be much in it, Second pc will edge it though. Especially with the faster GDDR5 memory.
    Edited by: ".MUFC." 28th Mar 2011

That is a hell of a lot of power for a laptop, unless your doing very high end stuff on it.

Banned

shauneco

Not be much in it, Second pc will edge it though. Especially with the … Not be much in it, Second pc will edge it though. Especially with the faster GDDR5 memory.

agreed, 2nd pc will be better but only tech heads will notice the differences.

Original Poster

Yep, it's a laptop.
    Thanks for the opinions, it was just if there was any downgrade I could have argued the higher model - I want this thing to last me the next 3 - 5 years.
    I paid £200+ more for the original one than the replacement one costs, but seeing as it's an upgrade (2011 model rather than 2010 model) I don't think I can argue tbh.

Original Poster

Any more opinions before I turn it on?

These MacBook Pro's? Seems quite a few people are having problems with the newest models crashing when under load. Keep an eye out for it.

The GeForce is generally a slightly faster card but not much in it, 25% faster or so in most benchmarks.
    Edited by: "jah128" 28th Mar 2011
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Biscuit addiction1227
      2. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325
      3. Easyjet - book now or wait?813
      4. Kitchen tap replacement33

See more discussions