Computer Upgrade Advice

Posted 6th Mar
I'm looking to upgrade my system which was built in 2011, but not quite sure if now is the time to be doing it.

I am currently running an i5 2500k @ 4.5gHz along with a Sabertooth P67 Motherboard. GPU is an EVGA GTX1080 FTW2.

I know the 2500k is still pretty much capable of handing what I am throwing at it, playing games such as Witcher 3, GTA V, etc but I am getting that upgrade itch which I haven't had for a long time.

At the moment, I am settled in the Ryzen 3600 but I am well out of touch with the current hardware so need some advice on a Motherboard and RAM to go with it. I won't be upgrading the GPU until the Nvidia 3000 series is launched. My current PSU is a Corsair HX850 so that doesn't need changing. Plus, I've also got plenty of storage and a few SSD's. My current case is a SilverStone FT02 but I will be swapping that for a Lian Li PC-O11 DYNAMIC WHITE as I fancy something more modern and aesthetically pleasing as my tower is sitting alongside the TV unit (no desk so I use the 55" TV for gaming)

So basically, I guess I am just asking for advice on a Motherboard and RAM to go with the Ryzen 3600? I am a little confused between the x470, x570, etc and don't have a huge amount of time to research at the moment. And if I upgrade now, will the boards be compatible with the new Ryzen when they are launched at the end of the year?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

5 Comments
My advice would be to get a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and 32GB (16GB*2) of DDR 4 3200.

Yes the board will be compatible with Zen 3 (Ryzen 4xxx).

Things are a little expensive ATM but I would say it's likely to get worse.
Edited by: "Gormond" 6th Mar
Don't worry about compatibility for future CPU.
You are not likely to change the CPU for another 4 years once you upgrade.

BTW, how many SSD/ HDD have you got?
Edited by: "Cisco060606" 6th Mar
Gormond06/03/2020 09:18

My advice would be to get a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and 32GB (16GB*2) of DDR …My advice would be to get a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and 32GB (16GB*2) of DDR 4 3200.Yes the board will be compatible with Zen 3 (Ryzen 4xxx).Things are a little expensive ATM but I would say it's likely to get worse.

Is that board decent enough for overclocking?
Cisco06060606/03/2020 11:07

Don't worry about compatibility for future CPU. You are not likely to …Don't worry about compatibility for future CPU. You are not likely to change the CPU for another 4 years once you upgrade.BTW, how many SSD/ HDD have you got?

I've got 2 x 3TB HDD used for storage and a few games installed on. Then, I've got 4 x SSD. One 256gb has Windows installed on it and the other 3 x 128gb's are just used for installing a couple of games.

I will not be using them all again, there is no need. Most likely grab one larger SSD for Windows and a couple of games to go along with the storage drives.
GJF4706/03/2020 17:23

Is that board decent enough for overclocking?

Yeah the VRMs are excellent for this price point. You can max out a 3800X without any issues.

If your going for a more power hungry chip such as the 3900X or 3950X I would spend a bit more on the MB.
Gormond06/03/2020 19:37

Yeah the VRMs are excellent for this price point. You can max out a 3800X …Yeah the VRMs are excellent for this price point. You can max out a 3800X without any issues.If your going for a more power hungry chip such as the 3900X or 3950X I would spend a bit more on the MB.

Do you think it's worth spending more now with the possibility of upgrading the CPU once the new Ryzens come out? Even if it's a year or two down the line, it would just mean picking up a new CPU instead of having to purchase a new board too? If not, it does seem like the most reasonable board around at this point in time and seems like a good buy.

I'm probably going to go for the Corsair H100i which will fit inside the Lian Li case nicely. Just need to find some decent RGB fans next...
Edited by: "GJF47" 7th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants