Expired

Computer Upgrade Advice

Found 1st Feb 2010
Hi All,

I need some computer advice from the experts. I have inherited a computer from a relative (just the tower) which has the following motherboard:

760M02-GX-6LS Socket 754 AMD PC Computer Motherboard

A quick check of the computer system properties reveals that it is a AMD Semperon 1.8Ghz with 0.48GB RAM and a tiny 80GB hard drive.

It was painfully slow running XP when I turned it on so the first thing I did was remove Norton Antivirus.

I figure the best upgrades to make it usable are a boost of RAM and a bigger hard drive.

I reckon I can get a SATA 1TB internal/possibly external drive for approx £50-70 (any recommendations?, but am unsure as to what to do about the RAM, I think it takes DDR Ram but not sure if type 1 or 2? Anyone know what/where I can check which RAM will work in this computer and the cheapest place to buy it - obviously

This will probably make the computer workable for another year or two. Maybe I can chuck a graphics in there to play a few games?

Thanks in advance for help.

J

5 Comments

it takes ddr1 i believe, best off to check whats inside it to be certain
Motherboard takes SATA drives, not IDE or SATA2

However I would advice that you're probably best to buy a new computer, look at the deals on here. You can get a low spec quad core for as much as the components would cost you to improve this one.

For the RAM go to the Crucial website

crucial.com/

and click on the US flag (top right) and change it to a UK flag. Not necessary but nice to get rid of anything American I always find.

Then click on "]scan your computer" under where it says "Crucial System Scanner tool"
[SIZE=2]
and follow the instructions....assuming your computer can handle it.

Yes - the RAM will make the biggest difference to speed. The hard disk won't make that much difference - it will just give you more storage and be a bit quicker if you buy a faster disk. Before you get any recommendations for hard disks you need to know whether you have an IDE drive or SATA drive connectors (and IDE one has approx 2 inch ribbon connector going into it, SATA has 5 wires in an inch long connector).

Defragment your hard disk too. That may speed things up.

EDIT : As per above - it may be better to look out for a better spec second hand one or new one.
[/SIZE]

Use the crucial scanner to check your memory type ]LINK HERE
Easier than trying to track down the motherboard info

Original Poster

am a bit poor at the moment, hence why am not buying a new computer straight away.

I figure if I get an external hard drive - at least I can use it elsewhere.

Should I just grab 1gb of RAM at aprox £25 according to Crucial website or go for 2gb - (there are only 2 slots) will there be a noticeable difference?

luvadealme;7724534

am a bit poor at the moment, hence why am not buying a new computer … am a bit poor at the moment, hence why am not buying a new computer straight away.I figure if I get an external hard drive - at least I can use it elsewhere.Should I just grab 1gb of RAM at aprox £25 according to Crucial website or go for 2gb - (there are only 2 slots) will there be a noticeable difference?

There should be a big difference. I've just reduced my memory in my PC from 1.5GB to 1GB and I really notice the degredation in speed (XP Pro on Pentium 4 £Ghz machine). I've only reduced it to do testing and should have 2x1Gb coming today or tomorrow so hope to see an even better improvement when I get that in.

I bought the RAM second hand from AV Forums. If you are stuck for cash, and now you know the type of RAM you need, then maybe attempt to buy from a reputable seller second hand if you are still going down this route. However, if you are unsure then Crucial guarantee the RAM will work in your PC.
Post a comment
@
    Text