Groups

computer virus help!

Hiya

I just got an email from a message board I'm registered on saying i go a private message. I went on the website and clicked on the private message, there was a link in it which i thought i recognised but when i clicked on it. When i clicked on it, my avast! anti virus software popped and said 'trojan' up so i clicked on 'abort connection' which it suggested i do. I am now running a scan of my computer... is there anything else i should do?

I'm really worried about my data/personal info as i check my bank account online and do quite a bit of shopping Is it still safe to do all this now?
    I know i shouldn't have clicked the link as I'm normally much more aware of things like that.. just feel so stupid now!

thanks
    xx

14 Comments

Spybot Search and Destroy

Original Poster

redvee92;7558028

Spybot Search and Destroy

thanks is that a free downloadable virus software?

x

chances are it was notifying you that the site contained a trojan, and stopped the connection to the site.
    finish the scan, and I wouldnt expect anything to come up on the scan, if it doesnt I wouldnt get too wrried, as like i said its more likely it was just notifying you the site has a trojan rather than you actually have the trojan

Dont panic, your doing the right thing running a scan, just to be sure and doing a clean up.

AVG antivirus is also pretty good, and its free :thumbsup:

free.avg.com/gb-…age

Original Poster

thanks for all the comments i'll download those different programs and give them a go

xx

blondi1;7558125

thanks for all the comments i'll download those different programs and … thanks for all the comments i'll download those different programs and give them a goxx

You might also want to try Malwarebytes. It is really good at getting rid of some stubborn viruses etc. However the suggestions above also look good.

blondi1;7558125

thanks for all the comments i'll download those different programs and … thanks for all the comments i'll download those different programs and give them a goxx

don't dl avg, only ever run 1 anti virus program at a time as they stay in memory and can conflict.
    the free version of malwarebytes is good and doesn't stay in memory

Banned

bigflump;7558082

Dont panic, your doing the right thing running a scan, just to be sure … Dont panic, your doing the right thing running a scan, just to be sure and doing a clean up.AVG antivirus is also pretty good, and its free :thumbsup:http://free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage

not any more it isnt. Avoid AVG!

bigflump;7558082

Dont panic, your doing the right thing running a scan, just to be sure … Dont panic, your doing the right thing running a scan, just to be sure and doing a clean up.AVG antivirus is also pretty good, and its free :thumbsup:http://free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage

Don't install AVG if you already have Avast on the computer. Running 2 sets of AV is not a smart move.

MalwareBytes is much more appropriate in this situation, although I don't believe the computer is infected - Avast warned you that the site contained a virus then blocked the connection.

But if you want to be safe, run MalwareBytes.

csiman;7560262

not any more it isnt. Avoid AVG!

Why?

Interested in why it is no good................please tell?

renagade27

Banned

renagade27;7566299

Why?Interested in why it is no good................please tell? … Why?Interested in why it is no good................please tell? :)renagade27

Just search MISC with +avg +virus and you'll see just how many people are asking for help cos they have viruses on their pcs that AVG ingnored. I used AVG for a few years and then managed to get a free version of kaspersky.

It found 4 trojans on my PC that AVG had happily ignored for years. Luckily, I hadnt ever run the EXEs that contained the trojans.

I've had the free AVG for a couple of yrs now, started off ok but having problems now so I'm trying to get rid of it and try something else.

csiman;7568299

Just search MISC with +avg +virus and you'll see just how many people are … Just search MISC with +avg +virus and you'll see just how many people are asking for help cos they have viruses on their pcs that AVG ingnored. I used AVG for a few years and then managed to get a free version of kaspersky.It found 4 trojans on my PC that AVG had happily ignored for years. Luckily, I hadnt ever run the EXEs that contained the trojans.

Ok......Thanks. I work as a tech and AVG actually get pretty good feedback and rate very high for a free utility in catching the latest crap..................but thanks for the info

renagade27
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553797
      2. FREE Odeon cinema ticket56
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047195
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424814507

See more discussions