Groups

Computor help please

my computor just made a ping noise and blew with an electrical burning smell.anyone have any ideas.could this be the power supply

18 Comments

You'll have to open it up to find out where the problem is. You should see scorch marks if it is as you say.

Probably.

The power supply is most likely dead and it seems to have fried a component

Are you sure you're not using the microwave?

Are you sure you're not using the microwave?

lol

hopefully just the power supply although when my last one blew it took my motherboard out with it

you can get a new PSU for around £35 and it's very easy to replace.

worto.

Probably the Power supply but dont under any cicumstances be tempted to take it apart and try to fix it,These things can hold a massive charge for weeks and could easily kill someone,Borrow or buy another,

Unless you know what you're doing, I'd advise to not even open the PC case. You're not going to electrocute yourself or anything, but you may damage something else in the process of removing the PSU. Plus as already mentioned, if you're unlucky your motherboard may have gone too.

See if you can isolate where the smell is coming from - if it's the rear of the PC, then more than likely the PSU (or one of the capacitors - these stink when they go). There are different kinds for different types of motherboard (as well as different ratings depending on what it's used for). If you've got anyone technical in the family, get them to have a look for you.

The word compute means "to determine especially by mathematical means "

This is where we get the word COMPUTER from.

So it is a COMPUTER not a COMPUTOR.

Just trying to help if you ever need to write a CV. If you tell them you have good "computor knowledge" you are unlikely to get the job.

guilbert53;5206597

The word compute means "to determine especially by mathematical means … The word compute means "to determine especially by mathematical means "This is where we get the word COMPUTER from.So it is a COMPUTER not a COMPUTOR. Just trying to help if you ever need to write a CV. If you tell them you have good "computor knowledge" you are unlikely to get the job.

:roll: lol there is always one !

My first thought was "what size fuse did you have in the plug?" If you had anything greater than 3amps then you're asking for trouble.

Second thought is, "you've probably fried your motherboard".

As long as you isolate the machine from the mails (unplug it) you will do no harm in opening the case. Try not to touch the components on the motherboard, or any other printed circuit board if you can avoid it.

If you're lucky, you can buy a new power supply from somewhere like Maplins, and swap it over. If the PC comes up you've escaped lightly. And change the damned fuse in the mains plug to the smallest you can get.

Good luck.

Original Poster

guilbert53;5206597

The word compute means "to determine especially by mathematical means … The word compute means "to determine especially by mathematical means "This is where we get the word COMPUTER from.So it is a COMPUTER not a COMPUTOR. Just trying to help if you ever need to write a CV. If you tell them you have good "computor knowledge" you are unlikely to get the job.

THANX FOR MI SPELIN CORECTIUNS

Forsaken;5206170

The power supply is most likely dead and it seems to have fried a … The power supply is most likely dead and it seems to have fried a component

This barely ever happens, in my experience. I couldn't tell you the number of power supplies I had replaced during my Dell days, and never on a single occasion did another component fail too. I think the thing about PSUs always taking out other parts is just scaremongering from the marketing and rebadging companies like Corsair and OCZ.

Original Poster

Took it into the shop to be safe,they rang me back to confirm that the power supply has blown.£95 for the power box,only £50 online at svp

dxx;5207526

This barely ever happens, in my experience. I couldn't tell you the … This barely ever happens, in my experience. I couldn't tell you the number of power supplies I had replaced during my Dell days, and never on a single occasion did another component fail too. I think the thing about PSUs always taking out other parts is just scaremongering from the marketing and rebadging companies like Corsair and OCZ.

Since Dell use different PSUs which are built to different specification (and ATX pinouts) there may be a good reason why that is.

All it takes is for a PSUs inability to control the load on the Standby voltage rail and you've got yourself a blown controller IC (the part which allows ATX machines to be soft-powered on) which unless you've got the ability and spare controller IC, will result in a new motherboard.

smallkiwi;5207611

Took it into the shop to be safe,they rang me back to confirm that the … Took it into the shop to be safe,they rang me back to confirm that the power supply has blown.£95 for the power box,only £50 online at svp

Flippin 'eck - what were they fitting for £95 and how does it compare with what you're buying?

Xb0xGuru;5207745

Since Dell use different PSUs which are built to different specification … Since Dell use different PSUs which are built to different specification (and ATX pinouts) there may be a good reason why that is.

Nah - it hasn't been like that for years. Used to be, but Dell have been much better about using standardised components over the past four or five years. The good reason previously to use non-standard parts was simply that it forced people to stay with Dell for support and replacement parts, but that sort of thing was never very popular with the consumer, hence the change. Certainly, nothing to do with Dell employing a crack squad of engineers to rewire the ATX standard because they've found a way to make it more reliable.

Have you ever encountered a PSU that's blown and taken out other parts, btw?

£50 - £95 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my god, my psu went the other day and it cost me £17.99. god, dell must be raking it in.
    my psu came from a small computer spares firm ( corner shop job ) 24pin supply

dxx;5207883

Nah - it hasn't been like that for years. Used to be, but Dell have been … Nah - it hasn't been like that for years. Used to be, but Dell have been much better about using standardised components over the past four or five years. The good reason previously to use non-standard parts was simply that it forced people to stay with Dell for support and replacement parts, but that sort of thing was never very popular with the consumer, hence the change. Certainly, nothing to do with Dell employing a crack squad of engineers to rewire the ATX standard because they've found a way to make it more reliable. Have you ever encountered a PSU that's blown and taken out other parts, btw?

ah - I must admit it's been a while since I was last in a Dell PC - thanks :thumbsup:

As for PSUs taking out other components, yes. I've personally replaced over a dozen motherboards after the PSU blew as they would either no longer switch on or would fire straight up again with no POST (IO Controller Chip failure was the biggest reason, such as ITE IT8712F-A controller). I'm happy to say that in most cases, it's just the motherboard which goes (not so good if you have a strange configuration which is now obsolete!)

The worst kind of PSU failures are the ones which LOOK to be working still but blow motherboards when wrongly diagnosed. If you're dealing with PSUs / PC components on a regular basis, do the sensible thing of purchasing a PSU tester - don't use live equipment to test them on!!!

tinkerbellsteve;5207998

£50 - £95 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my god, my psu went the other day a … £50 - £95 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my god, my psu went the other day and it cost me £17.99. god, dell must be raking it in.my psu came from a small computer spares firm ( corner shop job ) 24pin supply

The OP doesn't have a Dell machine - the Dell talk was something else entirely!

You're right tho - that's a lot of profit.

pray it's not a "bestec" psu, they seem to take everything out pretty much everytime
    edit and depending on the quality of psu(check model offered on google) £90 may be a complete rip off or a bargain no real way of knowing without make and model number
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1649
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525
      3. Important info for Ryanair customers1825
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7131345

See more discussions