Concrete canopy damage

Posted 22nd Jun
What is the best way to repair the two chipped area on the pictured canopy above the front door?

I am going to get a handyman to do the work but I want to find out what is the best repair compound or method to do this work before I get some quotes.

3491204.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
Very strange that ive asked a question about a canopy today too lol.
Whilst doing research about my canopy i came across a page detailing a job the same as yours and it needed the coroded metal rebar removing and replacing before repair as it apparently continues to travel along the metal and into the house brickwork making it weak, its an expensive job if i read right
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 22nd Jun
If it was me I would brush the exposed rebar with phosphoric acid which will convert the rust back to steel and give it a protective layer (does the same as the small bottles of kurust and the like but cheaper - I just bought 5 litres for £19 on amazon compared to 250ml of kurust that is a fiver for 250ml), then make a long wooden L shaped (looking from the end) that is slightly longer than the damaged area and use clamps to hold it to the concrete at either end. and pour a concrete mix in flush to the top of the existing concrete. Give the wood a brush of cooking oil to stop the wood and concrete sticking, leave a few days to fully cure.

A quick and dirty paint job looking from the end

41176971-TRN0K.jpg
Red = wood
Gray = Damaged Concrete.

The smaller section I would look for some suitable exterior filler, even maybe fibreglass reinforced car filler. Like Isopon P40
guys, the canopy is simply decorative and has nothing to do with the structure of the house. the house is built of brick but there is a concrete surround around the door and the canopy simply to give it contrast and nothing more. the canopy is not deep.

i am looking for a cosmetic solution that will be be durable. no one is going to climb onto the canopy so it doesn't have to be strong.
mutley122/06/2020 15:53

guys, the canopy is simply decorative and has nothing to do with the …guys, the canopy is simply decorative and has nothing to do with the structure of the house. the house is built of brick but there is a concrete surround around the door and the canopy simply to give it contrast and nothing more. the canopy is not deep.i am looking for a cosmetic solution that will be be durable. no one is going to climb onto the canopy so it doesn't have to be strong.

Clean it with a stiff brush and get rid of the ivy remains lower down. Fill with a good quality exterior filler, rub down when dry and paint with masonry paint.
JimboParrot22/06/2020 16:20

Clean it with a stiff brush and get rid of the ivy remains lower down. …Clean it with a stiff brush and get rid of the ivy remains lower down. Fill with a good quality exterior filler, rub down when dry and paint with masonry paint.

i am going to get a decorator round to clear the ivy remains and paint that concrete area. i wasn't sure if he can fill in the chipped area of the canopy or i have to employ a handyman to repair the chip. i was hoping to establish what sort of appropriate filler that is needed and if one exists, i could specify to the decorator to use that particular filler.

from what you say, i can get the decorator to do the repair as well
Kerb repair compound?
Right lazy(lol)
The holes aren't that big and reading the reviews on Amazon for the above, I think I'd use filler. At least you can mix up the amount you need and no fear of it going off that quickly.

I would say a relatively easy diy job.
JimboParrot22/06/2020 16:56

The holes aren't that big and reading the reviews on Amazon for the above, …The holes aren't that big and reading the reviews on Amazon for the above, I think I'd use filler. At least you can mix up the amount you need and no fear of it going off that quickly.I would say a relatively easy diy job.

if you use a decorator filler then it would not be as hard wearing as the cement mix? so say if a ladder was put against it, it would flake? like wood filler for example, or can you get a stronger filler than wood filler that would hold to concrete?
i would just remove the whole lot and put a new modern pvc canopy in its place.
mutley122/06/2020 16:44

thanks. just googled that and something cheap like this would do i …thanks. just googled that and something cheap like this would do i thinkhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/JetCem-Premix-Sand-Cement-kerb-stones/dp/B001V9T690/ref=asc_df_B001V9T690/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309904165679&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13745338550439791941&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045852&hvtargid=pla-326433736704&psc=1

Was just going for something harder because of potential to drop in someone s head . Never used the kerb repair but gotta be strong right?
I Got The Answer!!!! Say you got it from drew Pritchard people won't see the damage, just honest ageing that some would pay a few grand for
Meathotukdeals22/06/2020 18:35

Was just going for something harder because of potential to drop in …Was just going for something harder because of potential to drop in someone s head . Never used the kerb repair but gotta be strong right?

i was thinking more about a ladder being put against it and the filler drops out immediately. cement filler will be sturdy when it dries. i got the decorator to restore an external door and it looked really nice but the wood filler he used was not very strong, which meant any knock on it, and the filler would break.

don't want this to happen to this filler so not just to make it look good, but to stay there when the rain etc hits it.
External filler should be fine. We bought a large box from Screwfix and have used it in several places outside and it is rock hard.
JimboParrot22/06/2020 18:40

External filler should be fine. We bought a large box from Screwfix and …External filler should be fine. We bought a large box from Screwfix and have used it in several places outside and it is rock hard.

have you got a link please? i can forward that to the decorator to explain the filler i want.
mutley122/06/2020 18:40

have you got a link please? i can forward that to the decorator to …have you got a link please? i can forward that to the decorator to explain the filler i want.

No disrespect intended towards JimboParrot, BUT, a possible problem I see with telling a tradesman what product to use, IF it fails then theres no recourse as he's used a product at your request.

I'd suggest it better to ask the tradesman his opinion as to what best to use and then take it from there.
andynicol22/06/2020 19:33

No disrespect intended towards JimboParrot, BUT, a possible problem I see …No disrespect intended towards JimboParrot, BUT, a possible problem I see with telling a tradesman what product to use, IF it fails then theres no recourse as he's used a product at your request.I'd suggest it better to ask the tradesman his opinion as to what best to use and then take it from there.

Very true, but really it is a diy job.
Circular saw & some mansonry paint.
Post a comment
@
    Text