Condensate lagging

Posted 6th Nov
hi there.

got new boiler fitted with condensate pipe. what sort of lagging do I need please.

John
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
You don’t need to do it. The person installing it hasn’t completed the job if it needs lagging
Edited by: "ccnp" 6th Nov
17 Comments
Foam lagging of the correct size, will eventually degrade and need replacing though under sunlight and weather
You don’t need to do it. The person installing it hasn’t completed the job if it needs lagging
Edited by: "ccnp" 6th Nov
ccnp06/11/2019 22:19

You don’t need to do it. The person installing it hasn’t completed the job …You don’t need to do it. The person installing it hasn’t completed the job if it needs lagging

?
Mutters will have some off-cuts for you. Deeks will probably deliver them if you ask nicely..
I used this type bes.co.uk/pip…940 fixed on with garden twine or cable ties. It will depend on the thickness of your pipe as to what bore of lagging you'll need.
It doesn't look particularly pretty, but I don't get many people standing and staring at it on a miserable winter's day and it's much more preferable to last winter when I numbed my hands trying to dislodge 4 feet icicles from the pipe after the boiler shut down. Hopefully it will prove sufficient to stop them freezing up this time around and then I'll store it away come spring time.
Just to add in very cold weather if you have problems with the boiler check to see if the pipe is iced up and de ice it. You’ll then find your boiler starts working again. Many people experienced this the last cold winter we had.
ccnp06/11/2019 22:19

You don’t need to do it. The person installing it hasn’t completed the job …You don’t need to do it. The person installing it hasn’t completed the job if it needs lagging

The job is complete as the pipe doesn't need lagging if @brailer confirms the pipe is plastic, at least 32mm diameter and no longer than 3metres.
Hi guys pipe is 32mm runs about 7 meters total. It runs down wall and along "skirt" of the house to drain.
brailer07/11/2019 09:15

Hi guys pipe is 32mm runs about 7 meters total. It runs down wall and …Hi guys pipe is 32mm runs about 7 meters total. It runs down wall and along "skirt" of the house to drain.

That is a very long run even in 32mm, generally it should be restricted to 3m externally.
If installed correctly your boiler will not require additional insulation.

Your first step should be to check the manufacturers installation instruction, you will find the requirements for condensate pipes there and it must be followed, if installed by the manufacturers instructions no further insulation is required, I doubt very much they will recommend 7m of 32mm.
The run should also have as much drop as possible "runs down wall and along skirt of the house to drain." does not sound like the best drop.

What is the boiler make and model please.
kudos1uk07/11/2019 09:45

That is a very long run even in 32mm, generally it should be restricted to …That is a very long run even in 32mm, generally it should be restricted to 3m externally.If installed correctly your boiler will not require additional insulation.Your first step should be to check the manufacturers installation instruction, you will find the requirements for condensate pipes there and it must be followed, if installed by the manufacturers instructions no further insulation is required, I doubt very much they will recommend 7m of 32mm.The run should also have as much drop as possible "runs down wall and along skirt of the house to drain." does not sound like the best drop.What is the boiler make and model please.

It is a baxi 830
kudos1uk07/11/2019 09:45

That is a very long run even in 32mm, generally it should be restricted to …That is a very long run even in 32mm, generally it should be restricted to 3m externally.If installed correctly your boiler will not require additional insulation.Your first step should be to check the manufacturers installation instruction, you will find the requirements for condensate pipes there and it must be followed, if installed by the manufacturers instructions no further insulation is required, I doubt very much they will recommend 7m of 32mm.The run should also have as much drop as possible "runs down wall and along skirt of the house to drain." does not sound like the best drop.What is the boiler make and model please.

My boiler is installed on the side of the house in the middle of the wall. So the distance to a drain point is half of the length of the house in either direction.
brailer07/11/2019 10:19

It is a baxi 830

I checked and Baxi don't give a maximum for an outside run they simply say:

It is advisable that the full length of condensate pipe is run internally and preferably be less than 3 metres.

Internal runs greater than 3 metres or runs in cold areas should use 32mm waste pipe.
External runs MUST be a MINIMUM of 32mm and fully insulated with material suitable for external use.

If your condensate is not insulated it is not fitted to the manufacturer's instructions and therefore not fitted correctly and the installer needs to come back and put it right.

If you still feel you want to do it yourself you need Armaflex external insulation, as far as I know this is the only exsternal insulation easily available, Drain Center (Wolseley) used to sell it in their Drain Centers.
plumbers-mate-sales.co.uk/arm…asp
Thanks kudos1uk. Actually been looking at this lagging. Looks like I gotta stick it back together. Got any experience with this?.
That's going to cost a fair bit (ok not in comparison with the boiler and fitting), but surely that should have been provided for by the installers and fitted by them?
JimboParrot07/11/2019 11:08

That's going to cost a fair bit (ok not in comparison with the boiler and …That's going to cost a fair bit (ok not in comparison with the boiler and fitting), but surely that should have been provided for by the installers and fitted by them?

Bout £50_£60 by looking so not too bad
brailer07/11/2019 11:03

Thanks kudos1uk. Actually been looking at this lagging. Looks like I gotta …Thanks kudos1uk. Actually been looking at this lagging. Looks like I gotta stick it back together. Got any experience with this?.

Yeah, use the correct glue, it's like an impact glue and not hard Armaflex is the best insulation, it's like a rubbery feel to it instead of polystyrene feel.
Get some trace heating under the lagging and it will never freeze.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants