Condensation in face of watch

Found 7th Nov 2012
My Armani watch which is meant to be waterproof, somehow has condensation in the face of it.

When I rub the face and create some friction, it dissapears however it comes back a few minutes later.

Anyone have any ideas for removal?
Community Updates
MiscWatch
27 Comments
Did you change the battery and break the vacuum?
Nope
is it fake?
From what you describe there seems to be water in your watch and as soon as the watch is in contact with you (body temp) this will create condensation.

It may be a good idea to leave the watch in a container full of rice (raw). This should absorb the water from your watch and prevent this occurring again.

Hope that helps.
hardly waterproof if you get condensation!

I smell fake
Warranty?
It's not fake I bought it from an Armani shop in London. It is out of warrenty though although it hasn't ever been opened.

Thanks SkippyDoo, I shall try that although in the past that process hasn't workes for me with other items.
The rice thing may well work but all it is showing is that the seal is no longer there and the condensation will almost definitely return.

Maybe the seal needs replacing.
Any ideas how much a watch shop would charge?
not promoting this place, just an example

http://www.bablas.co.uk/watch-repairs/armani-watch-repair

Could be any of the seals, not necessarily the obvious back one if it's never been opened.
Edited by: "greg_68" 7th Nov 2012
^Thanks, seems fairly pricey but cheers for that

It is now in a tub of rice...

Shall I leave it at room temp or anywhere specific?
Edited by: "iAmLegendFam" 7th Nov 2012
Armani make clothes not watches - you will have a watch made by a third party licensed by Armani - not wanting to upset you, but it is not a good watch.
Milkfloat

Armani make clothes not watches - you will have a watch made by a third … Armani make clothes not watches - you will have a watch made by a third party licensed by Armani - not wanting to upset you, but it is not a good watch.

Agree with this. The watches are made by Fossil; looks great, but absolutely ****-poor workmanship.
iAmLegendFam

It's not fake I bought it from an Armani shop in London. It is out of … It's not fake I bought it from an Armani shop in London. It is out of warrenty though although it hasn't ever been opened.Thanks SkippyDoo, I shall try that although in the past that process hasn't workes for me with other items.

did the "armani shop" look like this

http://img3.photographersdirect.com/img/13725/wm/pd2402608.jpg
debenhams do a watch service with battery change and re waterproofing around £15 might be worth a look
Thank you sounds good..

Anyone know how long I should leave it in the rice for before it's worth taking it?
iAmLegendFam

Thank you sounds good..Anyone know how long I should leave it in the rice … Thank you sounds good..Anyone know how long I should leave it in the rice for before it's worth taking it?

Problem is if you do not know which seal is leaking then it's pointless imo. The £15 one will not be waterproofing it will make it water resistant to splashes etc. I think your chances of making it waterproof again are slim without spending money, unless you are lucky and it is only the back plate that is at fault.
happens to ANY watch. My tag developed this once.

Just pull out the screw in crown or winder as far as it will go ( as if u were going to adjust the date or time ) leave it over night and it should sort it. Worked for me, the condensation never returned.

I don't see how the rice is going to work. Its a sealed unit.

Elton Chong

I don't see how the rice is going to work. Its a sealed unit.

lol..... how can it be if there is condensation in it?
Just take it back to where you got it from. If you paid alot for the watch, it's possible they may get it fixed free of charge. They may want to charge you a fortune for repairing it. But certainly worth asking.
greg_68

lol..... how can it be if there is condensation in it?

Any watch's water proofing is compromised the minute you open the windder or screw in crown on a watch. So moisture can get in that way.

When it is closed the unit is for the most part sealed, even with a defective internal seal. Rice is unlikely to have an impact. It isn't an iphone or a keyboard soaked with tears.
Like I said, leave the screw in crown or windder pulled out overnight and let the moisture evaporate.

Just follow my advice and see what happens.

I think u will be pleasantly suprised
Elton Chong

Any watch's water proofing is compromised the minute you open the windder … Any watch's water proofing is compromised the minute you open the windder or screw in crown on a watch. So moisture can get in that way.When it is closed the unit is for the most part sealed, even with a defective internal seal. Rice is unlikely to have an impact. It isn't an iphone or a keyboard soaked with tears.

There will be seals on the winder parts, how on earth do you think they waterproof them to 50 metres oO
Leave the screw in crown open and go diving then see what happens.

The crown must be screwed down for the water proofing to be effective.

Just taken the watch out of the rice, the condensatipn has turned into water droplets but I cam see its still there. It is slowly turning back to condensation as my wrist warms it up.

Elton Chong

happens to ANY watch. My tag developed this once.Just pull out the screw … happens to ANY watch. My tag developed this once.Just pull out the screw in crown or winder as far as it will go ( as if u were going to adjust the date or time ) leave it over night and it should sort it. Worked for me, the condensation never returned.

Sounds like its happened to you before and I hear you loud and clear.

Have just pulled it open although doesn't open very far... I'll let you know how it goes!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants