Condensation in loft

Is there a way to stop condensation in loft? We have a Victorian house and noticed today water dripping from our loft hatch. When we opened the hatch the back was soaked in water as well as the beams in roof and material between then are soaked. Me and my husband have no clue about this sort of thing. The loft isn't boarded so the insulation is a bit wet. Ideally we want to board the loft so we can store some stuff up there but don't want things to get ruined and worried about water coming through the ceiling. Can anyone advise if there's a way we can stop the condensation? Thanks

27 Comments

You sure it's condensation? and not your roof leaking

Firstly I'd check whether you have a leak in the roof and water tank (if you have one) and if so, fix that first. I'd then look at drying the existing loft out using dehumidifiers. Depending on how bad the insulation is damaged, you may decide to replace that as well. You can then look at options to ventilate the roof. You could look at replacing some of the tiles with vent tiles for example.

I had the same problem a few years back turned out the previous owner had put the insulation all the way to the edges of the house so there was no air flow, trimmed it back and all was fine...

Tile vents should sort it. If it's a standard size roof put 2 on each side to create airflow. Usually about £25 to £30 odd each depending what type of tile it is. Very common this time of year to have condensation in attic.

I have condensation caused primarily blocking my eaves vents. I have done several things since I noticed it as follows;
Sealed holes on bathroom ceiling (airing cupboard), sealed around bathroom light switch, fitted 20 G630 felt lap vents, fitted air tight loft hatch. I have also bought a dehumidifier from screwfix which I run in the mornings whilst family are showering. If this doesnt cure it I will get my roofer to fit some roof tile vents. Total expense was £30 loft hatch, £38 lap vents and £99 dehumidifier. The sealing of the bathroom cost pennies. If I have to get my roofer in I'm expecting £100 bill max.

Edited by: "whydoineedastupidusername" 22nd Jan

Ps CKCLA ... how long have you lived there? You obviously havent noticed it before so what work have you had done that might have caused it? I'm talking insulation / ventilation / extra bathrooms or showers etc etc

also, if your going to get a dehumidifier make sure you get a dessicant version, will be much better at getting rid of water in the winter.

The insulation may have been laid incorrectly, blocking ventilation. You need to get ventilation into the loft space if it is not caused by a roof leak.

whydoineedastupidusername

Ps CKCLA ... how long have you lived there? You obviously havent noticed … Ps CKCLA ... how long have you lived there? You obviously havent noticed it before so what work have you had done that might have caused it? I'm talking insulation / ventilation / extra bathrooms or showers etc etc

waste of time putting a dehumidifier in a loft as it will remove moisture from outside as a loft is not fully sealed.

As said that's a lot of condensation but in general you need air brick or tile vent installed.

ur thermostat may be too high

After many years of having condensation in our attic I purchased felt lap vents from Amazon. I was a little sceptical but I must say they worked a treat condensation hasn't appeared this year at all.

Original Poster

stefromuk

You sure it's condensation? and not your roof leaking

I think it's condensation as looks like it's the whole way across house

Original Poster

nyctaxi

Firstly I'd check whether you have a leak in the roof and water tank (if … Firstly I'd check whether you have a leak in the roof and water tank (if you have one) and if so, fix that first. I'd then look at drying the existing loft out using dehumidifiers. Depending on how bad the insulation is damaged, you may decide to replace that as well. You can then look at options to ventilate the roof. You could look at replacing some of the tiles with vent tiles for example.

Thanks for your response. No water tank and think it's condensation rather than a leak as looks like it's the length of house. Going to get someone to look at it as think it's a ventilation issue

Original Poster

mfactor

I had the same problem a few years back turned out the previous owner had … I had the same problem a few years back turned out the previous owner had put the insulation all the way to the edges of the house so there was no air flow, trimmed it back and all was fine...

Thanks we'll check that out

Original Poster

rollzy

Tile vents should sort it. If it's a standard size roof put 2 on each … Tile vents should sort it. If it's a standard size roof put 2 on each side to create airflow. Usually about £25 to £30 odd each depending what type of tile it is. Very common this time of year to have condensation in attic.

Thanks. It's quite a new roof so surprised if this hadn't been done but gonna get someone to have a look as we def think it's a ventilation issue

Original Poster

whydoineedastupidusername

Ps CKCLA ... how long have you lived there? You obviously havent noticed … Ps CKCLA ... how long have you lived there? You obviously havent noticed it before so what work have you had done that might have caused it? I'm talking insulation / ventilation / extra bathrooms or showers etc etc

Been here 2 years as can't think of anything we've done that could have caused it. Had a new loft hatch fitted in the summer which is triple the size so maybe we just didn't notice the problem previous winters. We're gonna get someone in to look at it as think need some vents put in up there

Original Poster

houston26

also, if your going to get a dehumidifier make sure you get a dessicant … also, if your going to get a dehumidifier make sure you get a dessicant version, will be much better at getting rid of water in the winter.

Thanks. Yes we already have one of those

Original Poster

mutley1

The insulation may have been laid incorrectly, blocking ventilation. You … The insulation may have been laid incorrectly, blocking ventilation. You need to get ventilation into the loft space if it is not caused by a roof leak.

That's a very good point as it's a state up there. Insulation in bits all over the place. We'll look into that. I've been telling my husband that I want to get the loft sorted so we can store stuff up there and now this has happened it's top of his list now. Haha!

Original Poster

PulisOut

As said that's a lot of condensation but in general you need air brick or … As said that's a lot of condensation but in general you need air brick or tile vent installed.

Yes we think that's the issue now

Original Poster

lizpark66

ur thermostat may be too high

Yes probably

Original Poster

NEILXYZ

After many years of having condensation in our attic I purchased felt lap … After many years of having condensation in our attic I purchased felt lap vents from Amazon. I was a little sceptical but I must say they worked a treat condensation hasn't appeared this year at all.

Thanks I'll have a look at them

ckcla

Thanks I'll have a look at them

We also looked into the felt lap vents when we discovered a lot of condensation in our attic recently. Someone mentioned that they had used pipe insulation to create the gap for better airflow instead so we tried it and it worked a treat! Within 2 weeks our attic was at least 95% drier, so before you buy the vents it may be worth your while trying this cheap but effective method first.

I've just had a new roof on and the roofers removed all the insulation from between the supporting beans as this reduces air flow and causes condensation. Sadly this has turned my house into a fridge now though! They are coming back tomorrow to lay some thick insulation on the flat parts to keep the heat in.

MB1978

We also looked into the felt lap vents when we discovered a lot of … We also looked into the felt lap vents when we discovered a lot of condensation in our attic recently. Someone mentioned that they had used pipe insulation to create the gap for better airflow instead so we tried it and it worked a treat! Within 2 weeks our attic was at least 95% drier, so before you buy the vents it may be worth your while trying this cheap but effective method first.

We have a similar problem and your solution caught my eye as I haven't heard it mentioned before. Sorry I don't know a lot about these things- do you mean pipe insulation between the felt and beams?

ytfc_nick

We have a similar problem and your solution caught my eye as I haven't … We have a similar problem and your solution caught my eye as I haven't heard it mentioned before. Sorry I don't know a lot about these things- do you mean pipe insulation between the felt and beams?

Look at the felt , you should see a horizontal joint in several places where the felt overlaps the preceding one.

ckcla

Thanks. It's quite a new roof so surprised if this hadn't been done but … Thanks. It's quite a new roof so surprised if this hadn't been done but gonna get someone to have a look as we def think it's a ventilation issue

If fairly new, I would have expected the roofers to have used breathable felt.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Parcel2go - missing parcel to italy33
    2. Random messages from a Mod called CUZZY33
    3. Where has the Freebies section gone ?23
    4. I think I'm being scammed on Paypal?913

See more discussions