Condensation on Windows

Found 24th Oct 2017
Struggling with condensation on my bedroom window.
Double glazed window (10+ years old). Sleep with door closed, heating off and blinds closed.
It has become worse over last few weeks (with the colder weather).

Any suggestions how i can prevent this?
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
While you sleep you are doing quite a bit of breathing and are putting a lot of moisture into the air.
the window is probably the coldest thing in the room.

open the door, crack the window, turn on the heating or stop breathing. Your call...
Open the vents above the window?
Keep the moisture level in your house as low as possible.

Prevention: - don't dry clothes on radiators, have hob extracor running when cooking, bathroom extractor running when bathing/showering.

Removal - buy a dehumidifier, use a Karcher Window Vacuum to remove the condensation from windows each morning.

We had the same problem and by doing above solved most of the problem - still have a misting of the windows on the coldest days but not the pools of water on the window and sill.
Get one of these. Usually get some good deals on refills in Wilko's or Robert Dyas.

wilko.com/ins…541
open window or vents slightly and use a dehumidifier...
Dehumidifier(s) will help with the problem for the worst areas.
Open your Windows. I still leave mine open all night a little because of the damp smell, No choice . I wear fleece pjs so they keep me warm.
marshy512 h, 32 m ago

Get new glass. Don’t change the windows if they’re ok only the sealed units

Nope they just need to open the windows
You need air circulating to help prevent moisture build up.

Although I have all the small windows in my flat so that they are slightly open (don't know what you call that setting on double glazed windows), and my door is open, but in winter I get a lot more condensation.

I think it's more because the curtains restrict the airflow at certain points.

I have a dehumidifier, but it's noisy and takes a few hour to do it's thing.
It's all about maintaining a reasonable humidity as any moisture in the air will turn back to liquid once it finds a cool surface.
To do this you need to regularly ventilate the room, regularly heat the room and don't introduce any more moisture into the air than necessary. Breathing is a big cause (that you can't do much about!) but any type of clothes drying (without running a dehumidifier) is a no no and always keep bathroom doors shut to prevent steam escaping to other parts of the house.
We're just in the process of overhauling how we treat humidity in our flat and have just bought a dehumidifier from Aldi - it's very eye-opening when you see just how much water it removes from the air! After a few days of concentrating on different areas of the flat we now get no condensation at all.
Open all your doors & windows for 5 minutes before you go to bed. This will reduce the relative humidity and the general temperature wont be affected for longer than 10 minutes after closing them.
Basically agree with all of the above. What I will say is using a dehumidifier maybe a cure, it's better to try and reduce the condensation to start with.
Yes you can change the glass, however I'd be surprised if it would solve your problem, although it may help to reduce it.
The best thing is heating your property to a stable temperature, ventilation, and do not dry clothes indoors. Think if you had a condensing tumble dryer would you throw the water onto the walls and floors, as that is exactly what your doing if you dry your clothes indoors.
Finally you can buy small and very cheep humidity sensors with a digital readout. These are a great way to determine if you have a damp problem or a condensation problem. Your humidity should be about 55 to 65%.
Hope that helps.
Edited by: "hubcms" 26th Oct 2017
Put the heating on. Thats the issue.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions