Conflicting information about Asda mobiles locked or unlocked

Found 15th Oct 2017Edited by:"des147"
My mother has just this week bought a Samsung J3 £129 from Asda she already had an Asda pay as you go sim from previous phone and is currently using the sim in the J3, Im trying to convince my mother to take advantage of sky customer £5 a mth unlimited calls txt offer but is concerned the phone maybe locked to Asda. various web searches show very conflicting feedback.

the official Asda pay as you go web page updated June 2017 seen here under question 10 mobile.asda.com/ter…ons

States
10. Mobile locking,
Asda Mobile handsets are already unlocked, unless otherwise specified. Those handsets bought that are locked, you must not insert another operator’s SIM card into the Mobile without an unlocking code (which is not your PIN code).

So it would seem their is a good chance the Phone is unlocked. When setting up the phone for the first time for my mother I was asked during set up what network I wish to use listing approx 4 or 5 options from Voda to EE T Mobile.so this maybe further enforces that the phone is unlocked.

I would simply place someone Micro sim into the phone to see if it works but all my pals seem to be up to date geeks having only nano sims.

The phone is priced in store under Asda mobile £129, the sim free version at various other stores seems to retail £149, their is discussion of how Asda mobile phones are a cheaper supply of unlocked devices but as stated the info concerning locked or unlocked is somewhat dated and conflicting.

I really would like confirmation before setting out to purchase the sky simt. I understand that a fee of approx £15 to Asda would get any lock removed but would be nice to discover for sure that these phones are indeed unlocked.
Community Updates
Ask
2 Comments
Order a PAYG sim from any other network and try that in there. Almost all networks will send you one for free. If you don’t want to wait then you can probably get one for a pound from Tesco or similar.
Cakeboy7936 m ago

Order a PAYG sim from any other network and try that in there. Almost all …Order a PAYG sim from any other network and try that in there. Almost all networks will send you one for free. If you don’t want to wait then you can probably get one for a pound from Tesco or similar.

But don't be trying another sim from the EE network as Asda uses EE. Sky is from the O2 family, so try Tesco/O2/Giffgaff. From the options you had upon setup I'd say it is unlocked, but always worth checking anyhow for the sake of a £1 or so.
The sim that came with the device, was it a multi sim in the sense that it was a bigger sim with "pop-outs" for each size? If it did you can use this as an adapter to fit a friends micro sim into the device.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 15th Oct 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions