Groups

confused about a DHL delivery

so i recieved a call last thursday from a woman who said she was from dhl and looking for my address, she could find door 19, 22 etc but couldnt find mine and told me to ring her back on a mobile number

what strange is i dont think ive ordered anything as everything i order i know about and am not expecting anything, they didnt try a re-delivery like they normally do next day

rang dhl depot and said nope dont seem to be anything going to your address

plus ive never seen a woman courier driver LOL!

strange aye? its bugging me as to what it could be

23 Comments

could be [email protected] they use couriers who work from home i beleive

It's Swine Flu

Original Poster

dhl depot said they checked with home and no woman driver out that day

Original Poster

Carley;6419926

Premium rate line maybe?(I have seen female courier drivers by the way!)

it was a normal mobile number which now goes straight to ''it has not been possible to connect you''

Original Poster

Tanchi;6419937

It's Swine Flu

maybe a bomb?

muffin247;6419945

maybe a bomb?

a swine flu bomb.

lucky escape tbh..

DO NOT call back anyone claiming to have a parcel for you (especially if you don't recall ordering anything)
    As a previous reply says its probably a scam to get you to call a premium rated number at £100 a minute.

there always seems to be lots of scams about and they are getting more plausible

The courier scams are popular probably because curiosity makes us call back. There was a programme on TV over the weekend which was extremely clever that someone famous who they interviewed (an MP or someone similar) had nearly got caught out. They leave a card saying they have a parcel for you and ask you to call a certain number with your credit card which is going to cost you £2.20. So although you are not happy about paying £2.20 to retrieve a parcel - you'll do it out of curiosity. However the 1st part of the scam begins when you give your credit card details over the phone thinking you are paying £2.20 for redelivery. there is no parcel to be delivered and you've actually just given them permission to take thousands from your account which appears on your credit card statement as a genuine newspaper group in Scotland. The big scam is the money which is going to the newspaper in Scotland is for adverts for electrical and household gadgets which looks very legitimate in the papers. Of course people then place orders for these great items in the paper and they never see them delivered but have paid for them.
    the only reason this particular famous person didn't get caught was because when he rang to pay his £2.20 with credit card the phone was engaged and as the registered depot was nearby he went to the location to discover the Company didn't exist

I'm sure this is only one of many scams involving supposed parcels and couriers

Debt collectors?

Sounds like a scam to me whatever 'they' are up to!

]http//ww…tml

Original Poster

simone10;6419960

DO NOT call back anyone claiming to have a parcel for you (especially if … DO NOT call back anyone claiming to have a parcel for you (especially if you don't recall ordering anything)As a previous reply says its probably a scam to get you to call a premium rated number at £100 a minute.there always seems to be lots of scams about and they are getting more plausible

strange it was a mobile number she left though?

Have u tried googling the number - I do that with numbers I don't recognise.

Original Poster

Deek43;6420054

Have u tried googling the number - I do that with numbers I don't … Have u tried googling the number - I do that with numbers I don't recognise.

it was a standard mobile number i doubt anything will come up

Our local collection driver is female.

muffin247;6420059

it was a standard mobile number i doubt anything will come up

Some premium numbers start at 07

muffin247;6420002

strange it was a mobile number she left though?

Is it possible they now can disguise ordinary mobile numbers which divert to premium rate?

t0mm;6420086

Some premium numbers start at 07

+1

070 are premium rate numbers, not mobile numbers :thumbsup:

simone10;6420087

Is it possible they now can disguise ordinary mobile numbers which divert … Is it possible they now can disguise ordinary mobile numbers which divert to premium rate?

You can divert calls anyway on any phone.

Original Poster

this number is 077 etc etc

simone10;6419960

DO NOT call back anyone claiming to have a parcel for you (especially if … DO NOT call back anyone claiming to have a parcel for you (especially if you don't recall ordering anything)As a previous reply says its probably a scam to get you to call a premium rated number at £100 a minute.

The maximum a premium rate number can charge is £1.50 a minute.

Also, the program was Watchdog, and the guest Alistair Campbell.

Hubby's a home delivery courier for DHL. They leave a DHL card with a contact number which in the case of the couriers here is either a mobile, landline or personal 070 number. There's a woman home delivery courier working for this area so I know they're about She does hubby's round when he's not about. TBH, he worked for DHL head office (full time job) when we lived in London (unlike just the part time courier one he does now), and DHL staff on the phones can be slightly dippy to say the least when you call them up. (You didn't get it from me).

If you gave the number on the card a call, they would know if there was a parcel for you or not anyway, but may not know what courier has it (as night staff who sort the parcels don't even get the areas right anyway - hubby ends up with parcels for rounds a good 30 miles away sometimes which are way off his routes). They can however tell you who the courier is by courier number if they put their courier number on the card

So from what muffin247 says - sounds like a con to me as it doesn't sound like a Home Delivery courier for DHL as they have several attempts at delivery before it goes back so she would have tried more times at delivery, and if it's like it is here, she would have had to call her delivery manager and he/she would have found out where the number of your house is in respect to "19 & 22". If the courier couldn't have found it, then it would have gone back to the depot, and they would trace you by contacting the sender of the parcel, who would go through necessary checks etc, and it would be sent back to you etc. Long winded I know but sometimes parcels come through with a first name, no number, and just the postcode or even an incorrect postcode and it's virtually impossible to find the person.

They will want you to pay for re-delivery and when you pay over the phone they will rip you off your card.

midlandscomics;6420099

+1070 are premium rate numbers, not mobile numbers :thumbsup:

They're actually personal numbers (aka roaming numbers) - charged at between 35p and 50p per min (although from mobiles it is a lot more - 65p per min from a 3 mobile).

Carley;6420315

They apparently couldn't find the address so no card left :roll:

lol yeah.... I've not had any lunch yet - can you tell.

In that case, the courier would have called the number on the parcel (the recipient) stating they have a parcel and to call back, then they'd redeliver (for free if it's [email protected]), or they'd call their Manager and he/she would find the house number. Then it would be scheduled for redelivery the next day (and the courier would be sent a map of where the house is to redeliver to). Unless the courier is being a lazy bint and not bothering to redeliver and has returned it to base as refused.

I'd leave it myself because one way or another if there really is a parcel, they have to deliver it, and one way or another they will get it to you.

peodude;6420241

The maximum a premium rate number can charge is £1.50 a minute.Also, the … The maximum a premium rate number can charge is £1.50 a minute.Also, the program was Watchdog, and the guest Alistair Campbell.

I'm sure the scammers have found ways round the maximum of £1.50 a minute.

Thanks for the info about the programme and famous person....it was on the tip of my tongue but couldn't think. I'm guessing you watched it too.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Xiaomi redmi note 4 firmware22
      2. How are Very for pre-orders ?67
      3. No claims discount proof - Help needed66
      4. Are the free antivirus any good?11

See more discussions