confused about graphic cards?

8 replies
Found 11th Apr 2008
forget all the confusing stats and numbers it just mumbo jumbo.the final thing you need to look at is memory bandwidth.

for a truly gaming rig you need to look at 60gb/s or higher

on a laptop probably 20gb/s(even tho a 9800pro outperformed this 6 or 7 years ago and costs about 50p these days)

so basically higher the memory bandwidth is all that counts

9 Comments

don't u think this may be oversimplifying things a little?

maddogb;1877070

don't u think this may be oversimplifying things a little?

Yes Very! lol

Original Poster

thats the whole point lol

false prophet;1878416

thats the whole point lol

yes but not when its mis-leading, bandwidth is irrelevant its potential only, like having a six lane motorway, pointless if only 3 cars going down it

Original Poster

it is best when discussing a topic to have at least a reasonable amount of knowledge.it seems the point you've stated is,regardless as to how an item can perform at 100 percent lets see how it does at 20 percent.

my initial point was that numbers are for mass marketing.

i.e. a card numbered 8000 can perform less than a card numbered 7000.

for example the new 9000 series

also many are confused about mobile gpu.as an old 6800 can outperform many of the new dx10 cards.

also you cant state in reply "well yes the more you pay the higher the bandwidth",as the old staple of x1950xt performs almost to todays dx10 cards yet can be bought for a tener on ebay.

so we try to find one point,as there are 500 different cards,thus 60gb/s to play crysis(for example) on high is a benchmark

Original Poster

interesting article the column labelled speed is the gb/s.so look for anything higher than 60 for a gaming rig.

playtool.com/pag…tml

lol a x1950xt can be bought for £10???? man show meeee id buy 100

false prophet;1879226

it is best when discussing a topic to have at least a reasonable amount … it is best when discussing a topic to have at least a reasonable amount of knowledge.it seems the point you've stated is,regardless as to how an item can perform at 100 percent lets see how it does at 20 percent.my initial point was that numbers are for mass marketing.i.e. a card numbered 8000 can perform less than a card numbered 7000.for example the new 9000 seriesalso many are confused about mobile gpu.as an old 6800 can outperform many of the new dx10 cards.also you cant state in reply "well yes the more you pay the higher the bandwidth",as the old staple of x1950xt performs almost to todays dx10 cards yet can be bought for a tener on ebay.so we try to find one point,as there are 500 different cards,thus 60gb/s to play crysis(for example) on high is a benchmark

wth are you talking bout dude?

your post was just misleading, I have 2 6800 for sale and my 1950xt is better then 8800 with a lot of stuff, so i am happy, but a lot of people are going to read your post and think there cards are cr*p when there not.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet2557
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522871
    3. Follow-up to the closure of Kids Company in 2015.1017
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769487

See more discussions