Confused about my beliefs

Banned 128
Found 20th Mar 2009
I don't go to church though i used to go to sunday school when i was little. Been to the church with my auntie a few times then too.

After learning about science i figured no way did god single handlely create the world and everything on it. I felt for years he helped it on its way though.

Now i'm totally for the evolution theory. But i still see certain aspects my life as a test by someone of a higher being.

So anyway tonight i killed a rabbit suffering from myxomatosis (the brain rotting disease). I immediatly said before doing it without thinking "god forgive me". Its not the first time i've killed a rabbit suffering from the disease its about 2 a year i come across. I feel guilty for killing a living creature but my heart won't let me leave it there suffering.

I like to believe we all get to go to a better place after death. I think its healthy for the mind. I'm rambling i know, anyone mildly religious have any idea what i am meant to be thinking? My reasoning side is arguing with my belief side and my head is just spinning. Its probably because its early and i need to sleep. Will probably spam this in the morning.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
128 Comments

I reckon we should keep an open mind... hope for the best.... and just in case pray for it too;-)

To me, the best that can happen is, after we die, we meet up with all of the people we have watched die. The worst is that there is nothing... as in we know no more about anything, which also wouldn't hurt any more.

(P.S. I was brought up Catholic, and went to Catholic schools! :thumbsup:)

Seems pretty normal really I think for any rational human being to feel somewhat remorseful even if you are doing the right thing to kill another living thing.

Depending on your makeup as a person too, whether or not you are sensitive seems you are and need to rationalise your actions somehow.....it is healthy for the mind to question actions whether you drag religion or any higher being belief into it, just shows you have an element of thought and intellect about you.

good on you for questioning yourself like that mate, most wouldn't give it a thought.

I think you should believe what your own personal experiences have taught you

phatboy123;4690058

good on you for questioning yourself like that mate, most wouldn't give … good on you for questioning yourself like that mate, most wouldn't give it a thought.I think you should believe what your own personal experiences have taught you

Not sure which of us you were replying to there, also missed what you posted before your edit..... ! :oops:

i am a christian and still learning more bout the bible but i deffo dont believe in evolution, i always say God forgive when i do or say something that i think is wrong, i think doing that shows compassion for anything or anyone in the world and shows you got a good heart whether or not you are religious, i used to say the same thing when i wasnt christian as well. As for being confused bout your beliefs i have struggled with that as well, you just have to search deep inside you and you will realise your calling

Be\ strong enough to believe what makes you feel comfortable and what you are happy with dont be railroaded its good to think for yourself. Ps mr Dawkins book "The God Delusion" Is a very thought provoking read

Damn you Dr. Paul Armand-Delille! :x

Poor rabbits :-(

Slightly off topic I guess :w00t:

I reckon the science part of you doesn't believe all the religious mumbo jumbo as obviously it can't be true.

The "belief" part of you wants there to be something else as you can't or won't believe that when you die that it's all over. No afterlife, no reincarnation. Nothing. No more you.

Hence why there's a tendency for older people to re-enrol into church etc. They want the promise of something more that they secretly know doesn't exist. But no harm in trying anyway, just in case, right?

dmh77;4690078

Not sure which of us you were replying to there, also missed what you … Not sure which of us you were replying to there, also missed what you posted before your edit..... ! :oops:

was a reply to the OP :confused::|

phatboy123;4690058

good on you for questioning yourself like that mate

i thought you were female?

grex9101;4690168

I reckon the science part of you doesn't believe all the religious mumbo … I reckon the science part of you doesn't believe all the religious mumbo jumbo as obviously it can't be true.The "belief" part of you wants there to be something else as you can't or won't believe that when you die that it's all over. No afterlife, no reincarnation. Nothing. No more you.Hence why there's a tendency for older people to re-enrol into church etc. They want the promise of something more that they secretly know doesn't exist. But no harm in trying anyway, just in case, right?

Lol... I think you may of just hit the nail on the head.... I don't believe most of the stuff that I was taught as a kid, BUT... Just in case, some of it might work!

To be honest, I wish what I was taught was true.... but , the cold hard facts of life tell me otherwise.... what do you do.... ? :thinking:

phatboy123;4690173

was a reply to the OP :confused::|

Sorry........ :oops:

Also... call lots of male friends mate.... I am female!

dmh77;4690175

Lol... I think you may of just hit the nail on the head.... I don't … Lol... I think you may of just hit the nail on the head.... I don't believe most of the stuff that I was taught as a kid, BUT... Just in case, some of it might work! To be honest, I wish what I was taught was true.... but , the cold hard facts of life tell me otherwise.... what do you do.... ? :thinking:

I'm still a bit young, but if I was dying I may just subscribe to a belief system "last minute" just in case there was something more...

A bit like taking out insurance..probably won't happen, but you're covered if it does...

grex9101;4690179

I'm still a bit young, but if I was dying I may just subscribe to a … I'm still a bit young, but if I was dying I may just subscribe to a belief system "last minute" just in case there was something more...A bit like taking out insurance..probably won't happen, but you're covered if it does...

EXACTLY......! :-D

Trouble is, as an adult, I have seen grandparents die, fair enough, most of us expect that. My Mum died, at 48, gutting. Not 18 months later, my nephew... aged 5 died.... not 12 months after that, my aunty, ( I think she was 49...?) one of the remaining two sisters, died....

Next Friday, we are cremating my Nana.... yes, she was 76... but I put her in hospital ... and now she is dead..

I am not feeling the love from 'God'...................................... :thinking:

I remember I hit a rabbit over ten years ago coming back from a nightshift in the works van.
It still haunts me to this day, I had to stop and check on it and it was in a right mess but still alive so had to do the decent thing and reverse over it to put it out its misery.
Still gets to me when I think what if I had left work 5 mins later or earlier.

isnt it weird how its deedmed ridiculous in todays society to believe in God.....another pressure pulling u towards the way of the mob and not letting u follow ur heart.

what im trying to say is ur not gonna get ur answers on here, nor are u gonna get them from if u ovelry think about them....... deep down u know how u REALLY feel.

magicbeans;4690342

isnt it weird how its deedmed ridiculous in todays society to believe in … isnt it weird how its deedmed ridiculous in todays society to believe in God.....another pressure pulling u towards the way of the mob and not letting u follow ur heart.what im trying to say is ur not gonna get ur answers on here, nor are u gonna get them from if u ovelry think about them....... deep down u know how u REALLY feel.

I agree MB - it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks or believes - it is what you think and what you want to believe that counts. If people want to believe in a supreme architect that is fine ..and no doubt to some, in times of personal strife or whatever, it maybe helps them.

I am thinking though if I were that Supreme Architect, I would be saying to myself "Why did I bother??" - lets face it, according some texts it would take less than a week to sort... and he would still get a day off at the end."

As for killing a rabbit with mixi - I would not bother - you have actually done something kind.

As Richard Dawkins says, "Science has no methods of deciding what is ethical", therefore evolution has no answers to moral and other heartfelt questions. David Attenborough recently said that he wished he had faith in God to help and comfort him through the black days of life. He went on to suggest that evolution cannot do that.
I am a Creationist and so reject the theory of evolution, though I do keep up with what is being said and written. Reading Dawkins' books at the moment.

Banned

dmh77;4690175

Lol... I think you may of just hit the nail on the head.... I don't … Lol... I think you may of just hit the nail on the head.... I don't believe most of the stuff that I was taught as a kid, BUT... Just in case, some of it might work! To be honest, I wish what I was taught was true.... but , the cold hard facts of life tell me otherwise.... what do you do.... ? :thinking:

Just in case...do you pray to all the 'gods' just in case?

It's important that everyone questions their beliefs. Read as much as you can, not just about religions, but philosophy, science, politics and history.

Find out why these religions came about and the hypocrisy inherent within many of them.

Don't label yourself.

Banned

Predikuesi;4690561

I am a Creationist and so reject the theory of evolution,

Just out of interest, how old do you think the Earth is?

magicbeans;4690342

isnt it weird how its deedmed ridiculous in todays society to believe in … isnt it weird how its deedmed ridiculous in todays society to believe in God.....another pressure pulling u towards the way of the mob and not letting u follow ur heart.what im trying to say is ur not gonna get ur answers on here, nor are u gonna get them from if u ovelry think about them....... deep down u know how u REALLY feel.

Yes - afraid of being cold and alone and dead. We're social creatures by nature, our primary instinct is that of avoiding death, and these two facets of our being combined with our vast intelligence and mental capacity drives us insane and delusional. We can't tolerate the thought of being dead or alone. Some more than others. And this is where the dependance on an invisible friend who will always love you unconditionally and who reserves a special place in his kingdom for you so that you can never die comes from.

Although, this does not mean that God does not exist.

If you do pick a religion for Gods sake dont pick the wrong one,You wouldnt want to burn in the fires of hell forever just because you read the wrong book ,

FilthAndFurry;4690713

It is an interesting question
The answer is dependent on a persons worldview. I cannot suggest an age for the actual earth (as a mass) itself.

Why do people get confused and question religion so much? we were put on this earth one way or the other, does it matter how :? no-one can tell you what to believe coz no-one knows the truth. no matter what we believe at the end of the day we'll never know what happens after death untill we die so no need to worry over it

Banned

Predikuesi;4690789

It is an interesting question :)The answer is dependent on a persons … It is an interesting question :)The answer is dependent on a persons worldview. I cannot suggest an age for the actual earth (as a mass) itself.

Why? I probably could give you a figure close to the nearest 100 million. Go nuts, don't be embarrassed.

Need simpler question? Ok.

Do you think the earth is A) around 4.5 billion years old or B) about 6,000-10,000 years old?

A or B

FilthAndFurry;4690713

Please don't get Pred started. He'll be throwing quotes from the bible again...

OP, you are on the path to full recovery; just don't let the weak of mind drag you back to an anaesthetised existence :thumbsup:

lyndsbowes;4690791

Why do people get confused and question religion so much? we were put on … Why do people get confused and question religion so much? we were put on this earth one way or the other, does it matter how :? no-one can tell you what to believe coz no-one knows the truth. no matter what we believe at the end of the day we'll never know what happens after death untill we die so no need to worry over it

Excellent post,Couldnt agree more,

Banned

lyndsbowes;4690791

Why do people get confused and question religion so much? we were put on … Why do people get confused and question religion so much? we were put on this earth one way or the other, does it matter how :? no-one can tell you what to believe coz no-one knows the truth. no matter what we believe at the end of the day we'll never know what happens after death untill we die so no need to worry over it

Because existence is a confusing issue. Some people like to think that we're more than an accident of physics, and they'll believe anything to give their life greater significance.

good post lynds and roko x

FilthAndFurry;4690802

Why? I probably could give you a figure close to the nearest 100 million. … Why? I probably could give you a figure close to the nearest 100 million. Go nuts, don't be embarrassed. Need simpler question? Ok.Do you think the earth is A) around 4.5 billion years old or B) about 6,000-10,000 years old?A or B

Hey, I'm not ashamed of my beliefs! I do not believe that science can tell us how long the mass we call earth has been in existence. You could be right in your assumptions. I just do not accept that life has existed on the earth as long as evolutionists say.

FilthAndFurry;4690812

Because existence is a confusing issue. Some people like to think that … Because existence is a confusing issue. Some people like to think that we're more than an accident of physics, and they'll believe anything to give their life greater significance.

thats demeaning forthose who do believe in God. I know i do but i dont go around mocking ur belief there is no God. have the decency not to be so rude.

FilthAndFurry;4690812

Because existence is a confusing issue. Some people like to think that … Because existence is a confusing issue. Some people like to think that we're more than an accident of physics, and they'll believe anything to give their life greater significance.

well IMO people can believe what they want, doesn't make any one of us right though and i certainly wouldn't expect anyone to believe in something that they don't like the thought of.... what is the point in that?

Liddle ol' me;4690805

Please don't get Pred started. He'll be throwing quotes from the bible … Please don't get Pred started. He'll be throwing quotes from the bible again...

Schoolboy tactics again Liddle - rather foolish even for you.

lyndsbowes;4690840

well IMO people can believe what they want, doesn't make any one of us … well IMO people can believe what they want, doesn't make any one of us right though and i certainly wouldn't expect anyone to believe in something that they don't like the thought of.... what is the point in that?

good post lynds.... u know u big egos out there should learn from lynds...shes a sweet person and is never judgmental or rude when making her point. instead of trying to make points by demeaning others maybe u 'clever kids' should learn that u cant make a point by forcing it down a forum with little regard for the rest of the users

magicbeans;4690871

good post lynds.... u know u big egos out there should learn from … good post lynds.... u know u big egos out there should learn from lynds...shes a sweet person and is never judgmental or rude when making her point. instead of trying to make points by demeaning others maybe u 'clever kids' should learn that u cant make a point by forcing it down a forum with little regard for the rest of the users

:oops: thanx MB :-D

"Darwin may be triumphant at the end of the twentieth century, but we must acknowledge the possibility that new facts may come to light which will force our successors of the twenty-first century to abandon Darwinism or modify it beyond recognition" ([COLOR=red]Richard Dawkins[/COLOR] - The Devil's Chaplain, page 81.)

magicbeans;4690342

Rockhound;4690453

I agree MB - it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks or believes - it is … I agree MB - it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks or believes - it is what you think and what you want to believe that counts. If people want to believe in a supreme architect that is fine ..and no doubt to some, in times of personal strife or whatever, it maybe helps them.

lyndsbowes;4690791

It is better to learn about how the world works than to rely on gut feelings about how things might be. Your heart doesn't think, your brain does, and every choice you make is based on your accumulated knowledge and experience, and that includes the beliefs you have inherited from others.

And of course it matters what other people think and believe. We don't live life in a vacuous bubble. People's beliefs dictate their actions and those actions impact on others.

Predikuesi;4690921

"Darwin may be triumphant at the end of the twentieth century, but we … "Darwin may be triumphant at the end of the twentieth century, but we must acknowledge the possibility that new facts may come to light which will force our successors of the twenty-first century to abandon Darwinism or modify it beyond recognition" ([COLOR=red]Richard Dawkins[/COLOR] - The Devil's Chaplain, page 81.)

Unforunately genetic science has moved on a lot since he published in 2003 and most species have now been mapped back to their early ancestors and we now know exactly where we came from

Liddle ol' me;4690937

It is better to learn about how the world works than to rely on gut … It is better to learn about how the world works than to rely on gut feelings about how things might be. Your heart doesn't think, your brain does, and every choice you make is based on your accumulated knowledge and experience, and that includes the beliefs you have inherited from others. And of course it matters what other people think and believe. We don't live life in a vacuous bubble. People's beliefs dictate their actions and those actions impact on others.

is that fact or is that your opinion? My point was that people have different beliefs as they do opinions, doesn't make any one person right though. People can believe what they want and research as much as they want but the truth will never be found therefore making it pointless in worrying about it IMO

Banned

magicbeans;4690839

thats demeaning forthose who do believe in God. I know i do but i dont go … thats demeaning forthose who do believe in God. I know i do but i dont go around mocking ur belief there is no God. have the decency not to be so rude.

It's not rude at all. It's just a simplification of a complex psychological issue.

tonyg1962;4690945

Unforunately genetic science has moved on a lot since he published in … Unforunately genetic science has moved on a lot since he published in 2003 and most species have now been mapped back to their early ancestors and we now know exactly where we came from

I realise this! The point I am making, which is in keeping with Richard Dawkins' statement, is that theories change as more facts come to light. So in reality your final comment is not scientifically sound. We do not not "exactly" know but make assumptions from the facts as they present themselves. True science is never stagnant.
Post a comment
@
    Text