Confused Dot Com

Found 26th Mar 2009
Energy Comparison:
Decided to switch suppliers for gas and electric. Check a few comparison sites and then go through quidco for cash back.
All gave me about a £150-£200 better off scenario except one.
Confused.com on 3 separate occasions now ( just in case a one off) have said I would be about £734 worse off at the very best. whomever I switch to.
This was all very amusing considering they are called Confused and that's exactly what I got.
Anyway I ended up switching from Npower to E'On £60 cashback and alls well in the world.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
21 Comments

i dont understand

did you know that everytime you use that site, every time you get a quote it goes on to your credit report as a request for credit and damages your credit scoring, your better of ringing around.

wickedteen;4741430

did you know that everytime you use that site, every time you get a quote … did you know that everytime you use that site, every time you get a quote it goes on to your credit report as a request for credit and damages your credit scoring, your better of ringing around.

Can you point me to somewhere online that explains this as Ive never heard of it before, thanks

With regards to Gas & Electricity a lot of people aren't aware they can get better tariffs with the company they are already with,online ones for example are cheaper,Npower have loads of different tariffs so you may not be on the cheapest one,have a look on your energy suppliers website or give them a call.

Wenchybev;4741487

Can you point me to somewhere online that explains this as Ive never … Can you point me to somewhere online that explains this as Ive never heard of it before, thanks

sorry i dont know where i heard it from it was a while ago now

Original Poster

I switched as there is nothing to lose unless I'm being dim.
Just been paid by N Power my £85 loyalty for one year with them.
Now I will get £60 from Quidco for switching via them.
I am now on the best rate at this moment according to 75% of comparison sites.
I can switch back to N Power in one months time via Quidco and get £60 cash back again.

Original Poster

I think you will find if you are comparing loans, credit cards etc these may well be recorded as searches on your credit file, but surely not plain old gas and electric.

miarcerts;4741612

I think you will find if you are comparing loans, credit cards etc these … I think you will find if you are comparing loans, credit cards etc these may well be recorded as searches on your credit file, but surely not plain old gas and electric.

Ive tried googling it and im sure your right, only credit card applications and loans/mortages etc are recorded as far as I can find out.

wickedteen;4741430

did you know that everytime you use that site, every time you get a quote … did you know that everytime you use that site, every time you get a quote it goes on to your credit report as a request for credit and damages your credit scoring, your better of ringing around.

I cant find anything anywhere online that backs this up - Im sure your mistaken

Original Poster

I have just contacted Uswitch and asked whether a search for gas/electric comparison would affect my credit rating and he 100% categorically assured me that this will not affect credit ratings.

And yes this does mean that the comment above is completely wrong and at best refers to something completely different to what this thread is all about.

And the 'Wierd post of the day' goes to ...................

tinkerbell28;4742051

No he is not, he is reffering to searching for insurance. It was on … No he is not, he is reffering to searching for insurance. It was on watchdog too. Everytime you get a quote for car insurance it would show a credit search, each time you amended the quote it would do another search. Most comparison sites are the same. That is what he is referring too.Not sure if it applies to utilites but people were questioning literally upto 30 odd entries on their files.

thanks , i knew i heard it somewhere.

Original Poster

Okay before I lose the plot,

WickedTeen saysssssssss

did you know that everytime you use that site, every time you get a quote it goes on to your credit report as a request for credit and damages your credit scoring, your better of ringing around.

You are wrong wrong wrong .........

Every time you use a price comparison site it DOES not affect your rating unless you are applying for credit.
This thread is not about credit cards etc etc .

Im aware of the insurance part as Im sure most people are, the part I questioned was the utilities part which he claimed left a mark on your credit rating ..which is why i posted earlier that im sure he was mistaken (mistaken doesnt mean wrong - just wrong product this time)

Im sure he was trying to be helpful, but its always best to be sure before posting

If getting car insurance quote really does this damage to your credit rating, the just do a quote based on a name of 'Noddy' at toytown who happens to have every other detail the same as you ,when you found the quote you want just do it again but with 'your' name......Bob's your uncle you got round the credit rating problem (also stops all those annoying calls about insurance)

miarcerts;4742330

I have just contacted Uswitch and asked whether a search for gas/electric … I have just contacted Uswitch and asked whether a search for gas/electric comparison would affect my credit rating and he 100% categorically assured me that this will not affect credit ratings.And yes this does mean that the comment above is completely wrong and at best refers to something completely different to what this thread is all about.

They lie

believe what you want but please do not expect a sales rep to tell you the truth :lol
google.co.uk/sea…ta=

although it is a grey area as you can see when searching reading articles from above

many sales reps will still tell you anything though.

Taken from confuse.com

Confused.com Credit searches - Insurance

Many insurers operate a credit scoring system and will carry out checks with credit reference and fraud prevention agencies. These checks will be made regardless of the way you request the quotes from us and not just because you are using our service. These checks may include electoral roll and credit information. Some insurance checks are registered as general insurance searches and may be viewed by other credit or insurance companies if you apply for their services.

These are General unrecorded enquiries and are not part of the number of searches that lendings use for credit scoring purposes.

That said ...this thread isnt about Insurance, its about Utility bills which Confuse.com doesnt state that it does checks for

Wenchybev;4743245

Taken from confuse.comConfused.com Credit searches - InsuranceMany … Taken from confuse.comConfused.com Credit searches - InsuranceMany insurers operate a credit scoring system and will carry out checks with credit reference and fraud prevention agencies. These checks will be made regardless of the way you request the quotes from us and not just because you are using our service. These checks may include electoral roll and credit information. Some insurance checks are registered as general insurance searches and may be viewed by other credit or insurance companies if you apply for their services.These are General unrecorded enquiries and are not part of the number of searches that lendings use for credit scoring purposes.That said ...this thread isnt about Insurance, its about Utility bills which Confuse.com doesnt state that it does checks for

As mentioned above ring round it's just as easy as confused .com site is or rather was terrible and asked pointless questions only to crash at end. Cut them out of the deal and learn to negotiate a better deal by yourself in person to the company you would like to use. Or use quidco.

Find their proper telephone numbers and use up some of those free mobile minutes you never get to use.

dontasciime;4743303

As mentioned above ring round it's just as easy as confused .com site is … As mentioned above ring round it's just as easy as confused .com site is or rather was terrible and asked pointless questions only to crash at end. Cut them out of the deal and learn to negotiate a better deal by yourself in person to the company you would like to use. Or use quidco.Find their proper telephone numbers and use up some of those free mobile minutes you never get to use.

Ive never felt the need to use these sites myself

Been paying utility bills myself for 25 years so i kinda know the system

Wenchybev;4743554

Ive never felt the need to use these sites myself ;)Been paying utility … Ive never felt the need to use these sites myself ;)Been paying utility bills myself for 25 years so i kinda know the system

Get a better deal then as thats a long time to be paying ;-)

dontasciime;4744119

Get a better deal then as thats a long time to be paying ;-)

lol - i shop around quite regular - only been at this address 15 months already on my second provider
Post a comment
@
    Text