confused - new tv - help please thank you

hi, i am sorry but i really need help! :-) i convinced my other half that we should buy new tv. and of course i am lost. Just wanted to ask - what is this 4k ultra hd for? do i really need it? is it better to buy tv with it or should I not bother? (will i use it?) budget is 500£. 43" - 50" (but it may be too big thou). should have wifi and be ok with kodi. Looking at Samsung UE49K5600 UE49K5100 or SONY BRAVIA KDL48WD653BU (but there is lack of apps as per reviews?). No LG (yep i did read comments for every single tv on here!) Thanks for help. Been awake as I ate too much last nite, not because of sales!

17 Comments

Banned

this 4k stuff

4k is basicly just an upgrade to HD over SD, dvd over vhs, and so on and so forth

but mostly not really something that is needed. at somepoint in the near future they will be tvs that display more colours than the eye can see, and people will still buy them based on marketing

First off, I would work out the best size you need. If you're unsure of it being too big?
My knowledge of 4k is minimal but I reckon it's just the next big step like HD but it could be a while before there is much 4k programmes or movies to really make it worth having. As for apps, someone rise might help you out there. If you do want a deal, be patient but ready
Ps. Merry Christmas
Edited by: "vinnyabdn" 25th Dec 2016

Original Poster

well, my partner said 32", I said 40- 43". he is now looking at 49-55"

Banned

csmcr

well, my partner said 32", I said 40- 43". he is now looking at 49-55"

you like things big huh?, i got a 5 and 25 inch floppy

so the thing about 4k definition is the same as when HD first came out, unless the source material is outputting at 4k definition, your tv will only upscale it from 1080 to 4k so realistically you wont be able to tell a difference, but things like HD & 4k have a great placebo effect in that people think they are clearer because it says 4k on them no matter what they put on the screen, which is admittedly a little true, it will offer a marginal increase - but without I think a ps4 pro or certain films designed for 4k output it wont currently make a difference to you. I am unaware of any channels that broadcast in 4k but I suspect sky/virgin/bt may have some with the right package.

you could argue buying 4k tv now means you will have it when the format is more common with everyone, but chances are you will get another new tv before 4k becomes that standard.

Regarding size; a brilliant idea it to measure where you are actually going to put said tv as well as the viewing distance from it to define the maximum space you can occupy vs the size you actually need for comfortable viewing, possibly get a little bigger if you have the money to spare. dont forget to take into account the border/frame of the tv itself when you measure where you put it, also if wall mounting (or wherever else you may put it) dont forget to consider where the inputs on the TV are, I've had horrible times connecting media to tvs in the past >.>

every tv you get will be OK with kodi all you need is a hdmi input I'd go with the best 1080p tv you can get in sales for you money

To use the 4k you need the source outputting at that resolution. Without knowing what sources you use it's difficult to say whether you need it. For example the Sky Sports and BT Sport channels output some games at 4k. if you have a BluRay player you can get them at 4k also. if you download 4k to your PC/laptop etc you can also cast wirelessly to your TV.

4k will become the norm in future I'm sure so it will be future proof for a few years when I'm sure output of 4k will increase.

simply it's up to you whether you want to pay the extra for it, which for me would come down to whether I have the sports channels. Otherwise I'd just pay the cheaper price for an HD tv and upgrade later, knowing that TV'S aren't built to last many years anymore.

Unless you or your partner are videophiles (or just loaded) get a good HD TV and be happy. If you do go for a 4K TV makes sure it has HDR (basically you get a wider range of colours) otherwise you will end up with a TV that in reality wont look much better than a good HD TV. Personally I really want an LG 4k HDR OLED TV but they are just a little bit expensive

Check out Richer Sounds sale. Get a 55" with a 6 year warranty. Merry Xmas.

I would or repeat what phil36 said.

When 4k becomes available across more Blu ray movies, games, television is only when I would consider buying one imo, alot is upscaled so in due time there should be better quality. It's worth the wait as you would also get newer models that have combated the trial and error phase like when 3d TV was introduced first or the models your are looking at right now, you could get cheaper down the line.

Original Poster

thanks guys!

Every one keeps going on about how 4K TVs are pointless because there is little content for them. These are the people I presume that don't own one. Yes 4K content is little,but a 4K tv will upscale a 1080p picture close to 4K (uhd). It's like comparing standard tv to hd. You will notice a difference in picture quality from the upscaled 1080p-uhd.

My mate has a 8k TV. Seems popular in Thailand now. Think we are way behind and can only catch up soon I hope. Dose that answer your question. We are so 3rd world with technology

If you buy the Sony TV you can put kodi on the TV no need for a separate box as long as its a Sony smart TV

Original Poster

i know it may sound stupid but.. Panasonic VIERA TX-49DX600B 49-inch Smart 4k Ultra HD LED TV £439 or Samsung UE49K5600AW ‑ 49" LED Smart TV ‑ 1080p £449? I know first one is 4k ultra HD but it's Panasonic...?

nokiafusion

Every one keeps going on about how 4K TVs are pointless because there is … Every one keeps going on about how 4K TVs are pointless because there is little content for them. These are the people I presume that don't own one. Yes 4K content is little,but a 4K tv will upscale a 1080p picture close to 4K (uhd). It's like comparing standard tv to hd. You will notice a difference in picture quality from the upscaled 1080p-uhd.

I suspect a lot of that is the macbook effect. People spend a more on technology than they have done in the past then ascribe the resulting improvement to a specific item rather than the general improvement in quality that comes from paying more.

4K is mainly of benefit if you're sitting unusually close to an unusually large TV AND you're watching the content that's available in 4k. That's primarily UHD Blu-rays (which require an expensive UHD Blu-ray player), the US video streaming services, PC Gaming and some games on a PS4 Pro.

That's not to say that you should discount 4K TVs, merely that you should ignore whether a TV is 4K or not and focus on more important aspects.

csmcr

i know it may sound stupid but.. Panasonic VIERA TX-49DX600B 49-inch … i know it may sound stupid but.. Panasonic VIERA TX-49DX600B 49-inch Smart 4k Ultra HD LED TV £439 or Samsung UE49K5600AW ‑ 49" LED Smart TV ‑ 1080p £449? I know first one is 4k ultra HD but it's Panasonic...?

You don't want to be paying £450 for a K5500/K5510/K5600 (same TV in different colours), the next model up, the K6300, is better at the same price.

Panasonic's DX700+ are very good TVs, but the DX600 is a little behind the competition in terms of picture quality at sizes other than 40". It does have a good smart platform with Freeview Play for the full set of catch-up apps unlike the Samsungs (which are missing All4).

Why have you discounted LG? They have a good set of apps on the 600 series and while the Full HD 604v is disappointingly sluggish the 4k models seem to be equipped with faster processors.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. How to pay for uber journey?11
    2. Help choosing an Android box please.33
    3. whats a worthy sony x3 compact replacement?11
    4. What dog food do your feed your dog2333

See more discussions