Groups

Confused re Planning Permission for Extension

I've been researching about getting an extension done on the house.

Since 1 Oct 2008, an extension or addtion to your home is considered to be permitted development, not requiring an application for planning permission - subject to certain conditions.

Now I've read through those conditions!

I've also come across lots of other documents saying that planning permission is still required on most developments, and I have noticed that there are still alot of applications going through our planning office.

Is there anyone who can explain the current system to me?

Thanks for any input!

12 Comments

Banned

Its best to ask for permission anyway. If its within the rules the planning office will normally grant it immedietely, and give you a statement to that fact. You can keep this statement to assist if you wish to sell in the future

sculpturatus;5234548

Its best to ask for permission anyway. If its within the rules the … Its best to ask for permission anyway. If its within the rules the planning office will normally grant it immedietely, and give you a statement to that fact. You can keep this statement to assist if you wish to sell in the future

+1 :thumbsup:

Original Poster

sculpturatus;5234548

Its best to ask for permission anyway. If its within the rules the … Its best to ask for permission anyway. If its within the rules the planning office will normally grant it immedietely, and give you a statement to that fact. You can keep this statement to assist if you wish to sell in the future

Cheers! I have read that planning permission might take up to 8 weeks - and then you have to go through building regulations.

2 storey extensions are allowed now too - to max depth of 3 metres. Not allowed nearer than 7 metres to boundary I believe

Original Poster

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="4"]Has anyone applied for planning permission recently - and how long did yours take to be approved?[/SIZE][/COLOR]

we have been thinking of building on our garage were detatched and looking at some of the links on here we might not need permission too think ill look into it more ive repped the op for bringing this subject up and repped alfie for the links thanks u 2

Butterflies;5234967

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="4"]Has anyone applied for planning permission … [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="4"]Has anyone applied for planning permission recently - and how long did yours take to be approved?[/SIZE][/COLOR]

It takes about 6 wks

Original Poster

alfie73;5235128

It takes about 6 wks

Cheers Alfie.

Has the work on your extension started? If so I hope all is going well

We desperately need to give our daughter a bigger bedroom - you can barely fit her toddler bed in hers at the moment - she's been begging us for a proper bed!

Original Poster

New rules from the telegraph.co.uk/new…tml
    link above from Alfie!

What difference do the new rules make?

Until now, householders were allowed to expand their home by a total of up to 70 cubic metres – or 50 cubic metres for a terraced house – before having to apply for planning permission. This allowance had to be divided up between any extensions and loft conversions. Anyone wishing to expand further was forced to apply for permission from their local council. Now, as well being able to have a loft conversion of up to 50 cubic metres without planning permission, families are free to build a two-storey extension stretching back 10ft from the rear of their house, with no limit to its total volume.

Butterflies;5235163

Cheers Alfie.Has the work on your extension started? If so I hope all is … Cheers Alfie.Has the work on your extension started? If so I hope all is going wellWe desperately need to give our daughter a bigger bedroom - you can barely fit her toddler bed in hers at the moment - she's been begging us for a proper bed!

Works not started yet, bit of a nightmare few wks but hopefully wont be long now. They dont make things straightforward lol

Good luck hope thing go well for you and that youer daughter soon gets a dream bedroom

Original Poster

alfie73;5235196

Works not started yet, bit of a nightmare few wks but hopefully wont be … Works not started yet, bit of a nightmare few wks but hopefully wont be long now. They dont make things straightforward lol Good luck hope thing go well for you and that youer daughter soon gets a dream bedroom

Oh gosh - why can't it just go to plan hey - there is always complications! I hope the build goes quickly and smoothly once it starts then.

I also read that once planning permission is OK. You put in for your buidling regulations - and 2 working days later you can start building!

Hi all

I have read the rules on extending and i see that you can extend with no volume restriction up to 10ft at the back of the house. What about at the front or side of the house? We are looking at buying a detached house which is set far back from the road, there are a number of different houses in the area but all spaced quite far apart - extending at the front wouldnt impede anyones view, it wouldnt make it close (well still over 20m) to the road, it would only take up sone of our front garden. What do you think?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17816341
      2. Toys R Us Warning....2125
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread422914432
      4. Money Saving Tips...2038

See more discussions