Connect camera to internet in the house from lane

Posted 30th Dec 2019
I've a long lane leading up

to the house and I would like to place a camera at the entrance. It's

approximately 200m from the gates to the house. I was considering setting up a

ring or nest camera and connect to the internet using a dongle. I don't think it

would be possible for me to connect a camera using the WIFI connection in the

house (distance of around 200m)?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
Uninterrupted line of sight and yagi at precisely correct angle from source might just make it possible, although possibly best to consider a cam using x265 compression for best quality results, which may require power considerations.
200m for a directional wi-fi link is more than doable if the dongles compatible with those camera support external antennas (you'd also need a matching antenna on the side of the house, wi-fi is a two-way protocol).
OllieSt30/12/2019 22:08

An expensive but easy set up solution Reolink Go 4G LTE Mobile Security …An expensive but easy set up solution Reolink Go 4G LTE Mobile Security Camera

Cheaper just to buy an LTE router if you're going down that route.
...ring, nest or any other camera is the same, you'll need some sort of connection.
While your video data transfer doesn't need any feedback, the Wifi connection is bidirectional, requiring both parties (i.e., master and slave) to communicate: it doesn't matter if you're transmitting full power, if the feedback is replied by a device with low power (and you don't have enough sensitivity to detect it). It may happens to have to buy two outdoor AP to create a steady link.

Diggsy30/12/2019 22:13

TP Link N300, EAP-110 outdoor WiFi access point supposedly covers up to …TP Link N300, EAP-110 outdoor WiFi access point supposedly covers up to 200m...tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/outdoor-ap/eap110-outdoor/...can be bought on Amazon for £45

I used successfully, the older version, WA5210G (tp-link.com/us/…0g/) advertised for for "connection up to 2km" ...with included antennas. You can connect a more directive antenna (with higher gain). Furthermore, in my case the firmware was opened so I could transmit with a "little" more power.

What other cheap options do you have ? Ethernet, fiber.

UPDATE:
This one seems to be the successor of the version I used: tp-link.com/uk/…10/
Adjustable transmission power from 0 to 27dBm/500mW
2 RP-SMA connectors for external MIMO antenna
Work with TP-LINK dish antenna for long-distance wireless data transfer up to 30Km
Edited by: "TobyZ" 30th Dec 2019
I live 3-4 mile from the the BT exchange. The internet via BT is crap, around 1.5 download and 0.5 upload. I’ve got 3UK 4G broadband.

To the front of the house at the bottom of the lane I would like to put a CCTV and would also like to put CCTV around the farm which is located at the back of the house.

With the tp-link solution you’ve suggested I’m assuming I would place the dish at the side of the house pointing towards the gate and the base station at the gate? I’ve power at the gate.

Assuming this wouldn’t work for me to place CCTV around the farm at the back of the house as the dish would need to be facing towards one direction?
Apologies if I’m asking stupid questions.
Hullablue31/12/2019 09:08

I live 3-4 mile from the the BT exchange. The internet via BT is crap, …I live 3-4 mile from the the BT exchange. The internet via BT is crap, around 1.5 download and 0.5 upload. I’ve got 3UK 4G broadband.To the front of the house at the bottom of the lane I would like to put a CCTV and would also like to put CCTV around the farm which is located at the back of the house. With the tp-link solution you’ve suggested I’m assuming I would place the dish at the side of the house pointing towards the gate and the base station at the gate? I’ve power at the gate.Assuming this wouldn’t work for me to place CCTV around the farm at the back of the house as the dish would need to be facing towards one direction?

As described in the manual for the new versions (WBS with external connectors, and CPE no external antenna connectors) the unit can be configured in several modes:
tp-link.com/us/…705

39548250-Kk8AA.jpg
There are different ways to implement the network, depending on the location and what other devices you have available:
1. If you want to create a point to point link one device needs to be in Access Point (routing the LAN from camera to Wifi) while the other one in Client mode (routing the Wifi to LAN). Furthermore, several other Wifi cameras/devices can connect to the Access Point (of course, if they can reach the signal).
2. You can set one, two devices in repeater mode across the field to relay the Wifi signal to your house.

For antenna you can try a diy solution. Do you have some Sky dishes available ? you may be able to re-purpose them, as in this example: ab9il.net/wla…tml
or you can set a MIMO Yagi as here: ab9il.net/wla…tml

Just to remember: the connectors are RP-SMA (and not SMA); the "PoE" is 16-27V and not 48V; WBS version gives you 27dBm (you may have to change the country settings) while EAP version less than 20dBm EIRP (which takes into account the gain of included antennas); if you overreact you may have to give explanations.
Edited by: "TobyZ" 31st Dec 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions