Connect sub to AV - Which wire and which socket. - HELP :)

Found 25th Aug 2017
Hi guys,

I want to connect my Onkyo AV to my Kef sub. Im technically rubbish at these things.

Which wire do I need and connect to where. Any help would be great. Want to be sure before I buy

Heres the pics of sub and AV

Thanks guys
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Connect the pre out subwoofer cable to line in left or right.
Original Poster
is that the right cable though for it or do i need to buy a new one.
Line in from the sub to the subwoofer output on the AV.

Cable, something like this:
amazon.co.uk/gp/…rch

But thinking about it. The AV output should be mono. So either should work with your current cable (line in).
Remember to set your speakers to small. This should allow you to select the bass cut off on your amp. Set the cut off to 75-85Hz and set your subwoofer frequency cut off to as high as it can go.
If you don't do this it will just send the bass to the speakers and the sub will just do the low frequency effects.
kester766 m ago

Remember to set your speakers to small. This should allow you to select …Remember to set your speakers to small. This should allow you to select the bass cut off on your amp. Set the cut off to 75-85Hz and set your subwoofer frequency cut off to as high as it can go.If you don't do this it will just send the bass to the speakers and the sub will just do the low frequency effects.

LFE is rated at <= 120Hz? so I set it to that. I use LFE input so the subs controls are usually bypassed i think. Easier with the AV. 80Hz is good for speakers.
I'm sure with my AV setting the fronts to Large (full range) completely disabled my sub. Which is strange because the audio calibration did this automatically. All I took from it was the AV doesn't like the sub.
Edited by: "rev6" 25th Aug 2017
rev617 m ago

LFE is rated at <= 120Hz? so I set it to that. I use LFE input so the subs …LFE is rated at <= 120Hz? so I set it to that. I use LFE input so the subs controls are usually bypassed i think. Easier with the AV. 80Hz is good for speakers. I'm sure with my AV setting the fronts to Large (full range) completely disabled my sub. Which is strange because the audio calibration did this automatically. All I took from it was the AV doesn't like the sub.

The AV just recognises the front speakers as large because they can go low enough. My Q Acoustics 1030 can go down to about 48Hz on paper but I'm sure flies can fart louder than they can at this frequency so I transfer the bass from 75Hz downwards to the subwoofer for an amazing sound.
I didn't realise about the small speakers bit till I got my 2nd subwoofer. 1st sub was an sw150 which was faulty from the 1st day and ran really hot so I didn't use it often. Didn't realise it was duff until my stepdad got the same sub a year later
kester769 m ago

The AV just recognises the front speakers as large because they can go low …The AV just recognises the front speakers as large because they can go low enough. My Q Acoustics 1030 can go down to about 48Hz on paper but I'm sure flies can fart louder than they can at this frequency so I transfer the bass from 75Hz downwards to the subwoofer for an amazing sound.I didn't realise about the small speakers bit till I got my 2nd subwoofer. 1st sub was an sw150 which was faulty from the 1st day and ran really hot so I didn't use it often. Didn't realise it was duff until my stepdad got the same sub a year later

Haha. What's your LPF** for the LFE? Luckily the sub works, but it did tease me for a minute.
Edited by: "rev6" 25th Aug 2017
The crossover controls on a subwoofer can be left at 150Hz or full range because the amp does the filtering. The controls are normally only used if your input contains high frequencies so it can notch them out and ignore them.
kester768 m ago

The crossover controls on a subwoofer can be left at 150Hz or full range …The crossover controls on a subwoofer can be left at 150Hz or full range because the amp does the filtering. The controls are normally only used if your input contains high frequencies so it can notch them out and ignore them.

I meant on your AV.
rev611 m ago

I meant on your AV.

No idea, it's a sony dn1030. I connect one of the subwoofer outputs to the sub right input. I set the fronts from 75 or 80Hz to the sub output and that's all I can remember. I think it was a case of reading the instructions, setting it and forgetting it
Just checked a picture of the rear and its 120Hz. Think I read something about increasing the input level if you used an y splitter for the sub inputs. This is all done by the AV though so you only have to play with the gain once and that's set by Mic calibration.

I can't remember much more than that because I was messing around with HD music formats like sacd and dvda which use 5 channels and a discreet subwoofer channel I blame old age
Original Poster
rev611 h, 4 m ago

Line in from the sub to the subwoofer output on the AV.Cable, something …Line in from the sub to the subwoofer output on the AV.Cable, something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01KLVW366/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1503698199&sr=8-4π=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=subwoofer+cable&dpPl=1&dpID=51AhBG5lDGL&ref=plSrchBut thinking about it. The AV output should be mono. So either should work with your current cable (line in).

In idiotic terms, the wire you advised on... The smaller left one (white) goes into the purple slot on my AV or the Pre out Subwoofer slot. Confused as to which one
31803261-mMFVv.jpgand the other two remaining wires goes into the sub Line In Left and Line in Right?

31803261-tjjz5.jpgAm I correct?

Thanks
Edited by: "thevman2k3" 26th Aug 2017
thevman2k313 m ago

In idiotic terms, the wire you advised on... The smaller left one (white) …In idiotic terms, the wire you advised on... The smaller left one (white) goes into the purple slot on my AV or the Pre out Subwoofer slot. Confused as to which one[Image] and the other two remaining wires goes into the sub Line In Left and Line in Right?[Image] Am I correct?Thanks

The purple RCA is subwoofer input from a dvd player. On the subwoofer plug the rca lead into the right rca input.
Subwoofer pre out on the amp to right line in on the subwoofer.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants