Connecting 2 monitors to 1 PC

I'm trying to connect both of my monitors to my PC but I'm not quite sure how to do it. I've had a look at some videos online and im still a bit confused. I have a VGA cable for each monitor but there is only 1 VGA port on the back of my computer. If anyone has any ideas how to do it, could you please help me out. Thanks

26 Comments

~~~~~~~Ignore~~~~~~~~

KVM switch
It's gonna be a small unit with USB sockets and VGA sockets.

Keyboard and mouse go into KVM switch, both PCs go into KVM, KVM goes into monitor; click the button on the KVM unit to flick between PCs
Edited by: "Erubadhron" 28th Oct 2016

~~~~~~~~~~Ignore~~~~~~~~~~

maplin.co.uk/p/a…6gh
For example.[img]images.maplinmedia.co.uk/ate…jpg?w=515&h=515&r=4&[email protected]&V=TdEe[/img]

Erubadhron

KVM switch ;)It's gonna be a small unit with USB sockets and VGA … KVM switch ;)It's gonna be a small unit with USB sockets and VGA sockets.Keyboard and mouse go into KVM switch, both PCs go into KVM, KVM goes into monitor; click the button on the KVM unit to flick between PCs

​that is for two PC's to one screen not one of to two screens.

do you want the displays to be extended displays or for both displays to show same image.

if you want an extended display you need to buy another graphics card with one or more outputs

Original Poster

andrewlaw9

​that is for two PC's to one screen not one of to two screens.do you want … ​that is for two PC's to one screen not one of to two screens.do you want the displays to be extended displays or for both displays to show same image.

​im not sure. some people say that when they are editing, they can edit on 1 screen and preview it on the other screen. That's what I'm trying to achieve

if you only have 1 VGA port you will need another graphics card. if you have a dvi port or HDMI port and your monitor will accept that as an input then use that

biy a VGA splitter, plug the 2 VGA into the splutter and the other from the computer into it, if you want the screens to work independently the screens either need a new graphics,card or the monitors have to have display ports

I bought this one for my work PC Click here
And as it was a low profile PC I also bougt this Click Here

Ignore me; complete brain-fart.

What you want isn't possible without an additional graphics card

You can get USB to VGA adapters that can give you a second output, but they generally won't be as high a quality as a second VGA output.

You need two video outputs on your computer. VGA is just one of four or five common types, others include DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort.

You can mix and match them as you like and some ports can support multiple types of output. For example a DVI port can often output VGA signals as well, while a DisplayPort output can also generate DVI and HDMI signals.

If you don't have any other video outputs on your computer then the best solution is to add a graphics card, although probably something more recent than the ancient Geforce 210 markvirgo bought. Perhaps a GT 710 or R7 240.

If your computer is too small to fit a new graphics card then there are other options like external USB cards and DualHead2Go units but they come with compromises so they should be a second choice.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

You need two video outputs on your computer. VGA is just one of four or … You need two video outputs on your computer. VGA is just one of four or five common types, others include DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort.You can mix and match them as you like and some ports can support multiple types of output. For example a DVI port can often output VGA signals as well, while a DisplayPort output can also generate DVI and HDMI signals.If you don't have any other video outputs on your computer then the best solution is to add a graphics card, although probably something more recent than the ancient Geforce 210 markvirgo bought. Perhaps a GT 710 or R7 240.If your computer is too small to fit a new graphics card then there are other options like external USB cards and DualHead2Go units but they come with compromises so they should be a second choice.

​I have a GTX 960 in my computer. would that be ok?

The GTX960 has no VGA outputs?

Aaron37

​I have a GTX 960 in my computer. would that be ok?

You would definitely have hdmi as well as vga on a 960. Probably dvi as well. Just use a separate output for each monitor. For example I have one monitor through hdmi and one through dvi on my 970

Your graphics card is not compatible with VGA, from the official GeForce website.
You're going to need new monitors, a second graphics card, or HDMI DVI-D to VGA adapters if you have two VGA monitors.

Your cheapest option is to replace the graphics card with one with two VGA outputs.
Your best solution (as you mention editing, I assume you don't mean Word documents) is to purchase a graphics card with two HDMI outputs and two HDMI monitors.

What exact make/model monitors and video card do you have please?
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 28th Oct 2016

Original Poster

Erubadhron

Your graphics card is not compatible with VGA, from the official GeForce … Your graphics card is not compatible with VGA, from the official GeForce website.You're going to need new monitors, a second graphics card, or HDMI DVI-D to VGA adapters if you have two VGA monitors.

​My graphics card has a dvi port so would I be able to get a dvi to VGA adapter to get it to work?

Aaron37

​My graphics card has a dvi port so would I be able to get a dvi to VGA a … ​My graphics card has a dvi port so would I be able to get a dvi to VGA adapter to get it to work?

Yes, only for one monitor.
This could obviously split, but you would have both screens the same.

If you have a GTX 960 then why don't you use the HDMI ports to attach both the monitors? if you only have two old monitors that has the VGA ports then get two HDMI cables and buy a couple of HDMI to VGA adapters off ebay as they are normally around £0.99 to £1:50!! If you end up sorting it out then click right mouse button on your desktop and go to the graphics card control panel and chose in the tabs the extend desktop.

The GeForce website mentions multiple DisplayPort sockets.
Two of these (or a cheaper alternative ) would have you up and running. (Without audio.)

williamsj

If you have a GTX 960 then why don't you use the HDMI ports to attach … If you have a GTX 960 then why don't you use the HDMI ports to attach both the monitors? if you only have two old monitors that has the VGA ports then get two HDMI cables and buy a couple of HDMI to VGA adapters off ebay as they are normally around £0.99 to £1:50!! If you end up sorting it out then click right mouse button on your desktop and go to the graphics card control panel and chose in the tabs the extend desktop.

HDMI and VGA are not cross-compatible without expensive converter boxes.

If you have a GTX 960 then why don't you use the HDMI ports to attach both the monitors? if you only have two old monitors that has the VGA ports then get two HDMI cables and buy a couple of HDMI to VGA adapters off ebay as they are normally around £0.99 to £1:50!! If you end up sorting it out then click right mouse button on your desktop and go to the graphics card control panel and chose in the tabs the extend desktop.

EndlessWaves

You need two video outputs on your computer. VGA is just one of four or … You need two video outputs on your computer. VGA is just one of four or five common types, others include DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort.You can mix and match them as you like and some ports can support multiple types of output. For example a DVI port can often output VGA signals as well, while a DisplayPort output can also generate DVI and HDMI signals.If you don't have any other video outputs on your computer then the best solution is to add a graphics card, although probably something more recent than the ancient Geforce 210 markvirgo bought. Perhaps a GT 710 or R7 240.If your computer is too small to fit a new graphics card then there are other options like external USB cards and DualHead2Go units but they come with compromises so they should be a second choice.

Erubadhron

Your graphics card is not compatible with VGA, from the official GeForce … Your graphics card is not compatible with VGA, from the official GeForce website.

Ok, so that card will definitely have two video outputs (almost certainly three or four in fact). We need to know which outputs your card has and which inputs the monitor has. If you don't recognise them then we can identify them from a photo.

nVidia's website only gives the suggested port selection, individual card manufacturers can include others so different GTX 960s will have different ports.

EndlessWaves

Ok, so that card will definitely have two video outputs (almost certainly … Ok, so that card will definitely have two video outputs (almost certainly three or four in fact). We need to know which outputs your card has and which inputs the monitor has. If you don't recognise them then we can identify them from a photo.nVidia's website only gives the suggested port selection, individual card manufacturers can include others so different GTX 960s will have different ports.

Ahhhhh...
How helpful of them!
(_;)

Just on the off chance that your monitors are HDMI then get one of these and a metre or two HDMI cable x2, use the second cable to go from graphics card HDMI port to monitor port ebay.co.uk/itm…670?hash=item4d494c18e6:g:YJEAAOSw3YNXbOzm

Edited by: "williamsj" 28th Oct 2016

There loads of different adapters you can buy. For example I bought a cheap VGA to HDMI converter adapter for £2.75 from eBay
Or VGA to Displayport adapter here

Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 29th Oct 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. American Road Trip11
    2. Iptv810
    3. Parcel2go - missing parcel to italy33
    4. Random messages from a Mod called CUZZY33

See more discussions