Connecting a soundbar to an LG43LF510V TV

Found 30th Dec 2017
Hello,
Does anybody know how / if it is possible to connect a soundbar to an LG43LF510V TV?
I have a Virgin TiVo box connected to it via HDMI. I have tried using a Scart with phono cables to a 3.5mm jack into the soundbar but nothing came out.
Its not a smart tv so I’m thinking it is not possible.
Thanks.
Community Updates
AskElectronics
14 Comments
Does it have an optical output on the tv and soundbar?
benjammin31611 m ago

Does it have an optical output on the tv and soundbar?

Hi,
No, it does not. Has 1 x HDMI port, 1x Scart (AV in/out) port. That’s about it.
You could use a 3.5mm cable to go from the headphone jack to the aux in on the soundbar. Mind you headphone jacks are made for headphones and thus amplify the signal and turning it too much will distort because the soundbar isn't meant to accept a amplified signal. Really that TV is limited and any soundbar would have the same issue.

Taken from a Google search.
benjammin3164 m ago

You could use a 3.5mm cable to go from the headphone jack to the aux in on …You could use a 3.5mm cable to go from the headphone jack to the aux in on the soundbar. Mind you headphone jacks are made for headphones and thus amplify the signal and turning it too much will distort because the soundbar isn't meant to accept a amplified signal. Really that TV is limited and any soundbar would have the same issue.Taken from a Google search.

Thanks - can’t even see a headphone jack on it though - maybe it’s hidden and I’ve only had the tv 2 days. Am I right in thinking that as the virgin TiVo box is connected to the tv via a hdmi cable, this is the reason why my attempts to connect the soundbar to the tv Scart port are not working- hdmi is taking the Scart use away?
Thanks.
tomsguide.com/ans…tml

This seems the most useful from a bit of googling, odd a newer tv not having optical, thought that would be standard by now
benjammin3163 m ago

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2923954/soundbar-advice.htmlThis seems …http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2923954/soundbar-advice.htmlThis seems the most useful from a bit of googling, odd a newer tv not having optical, thought that would be standard by now

Ok - guess I have to live without the soundbar - thanks for your help.(highfive)
deleted793389
SCART sockets on TV's tend to be input only, hence why in the olden days you'd connect the aerial to the VCR first then your telly, the TV doesn't have anything to output.
Have you got a picture of the connectors on the sound bar?
Shouldn't matter if its a Smart TV or not. Have you looked hard for an optical port as they are very small and easy to miss. I have had TVs that the spec doesn't mention an optical port but they did have one but not many have headphone sockets these days. It's by far the best way of connecting a soundbar as all audio will play through it. What connections does you soundbar have ?
The 510 is typically LG's absolute bottom of the range model designed to be as cheap as possible, so it's quite possible it doesn't have any sound outputs. The current LJ510 does have a line out/headphone out jack, but whether the 2015 model you have does I'm not sure.
Doesn’t the TiVo box have optical out ? It’s a little different but my dad has his plugged into his Mag box and volume on 0 on tv and works great .
yozzman12345 h, 40 m ago

Doesn’t the TiVo box have optical out ? It’s a little different but my dad …Doesn’t the TiVo box have optical out ? It’s a little different but my dad has his plugged into his Mag box and volume on 0 on tv and works great .

Yes, the TiVo box does have an optical port (does not say “out” on it though - just says “optical audio 2”) - it’s a Samsung TiVo btw. If I were to buy an optical audio to 3.5mm jack cable and plug it into the line in (which is a 3.5mm port) you think this would work? Ta.
ianyar147025 m ago

Yes, the TiVo box does have an optical port (does not say “out” on it tho …Yes, the TiVo box does have an optical port (does not say “out” on it though - just says “optical audio 2”) - it’s a Samsung TiVo btw. If I were to buy an optical audio to 3.5mm jack cable and plug it into the line in (which is a 3.5mm port) you think this would work? Ta.

No, those cables are for the 3.5mm mini-optical connector. You'd need a converter box instead.
EndlessWaves2 m ago

No, those cables are for the 3.5mm mini-optical connector. You'd need a …No, those cables are for the 3.5mm mini-optical connector. You'd need a converter box instead.

One of these?
32958632-HCbpk.jpg
ianyar147036 m ago

One of these?[Image]

Something like that yes, although as it's creating the analogue signal it will have an impact on sound quality.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions