Groups

connecting a xbox 360 to router help please

ok,id like some advice for my friend please,they have a xbox 360 and cannot afford the wireless adaptor thingy can anyone tell me what the wire is that they will need to play xbox live on the internet it`s a wireless sky router it will have to connect to and is it only 1 wire they need or 2 thanks

13 Comments

Banned

you just need to use the ethernet cable that came with the xbox and plug it directly into the router

support.xbox.com/glo…jpg

Original Poster

fragaliciousbob;4228683

you just need to use the ethernet cable that came with the xbox and plug … you just need to use the ethernet cable that came with the xbox and plug it directly into the routerhttp://support.xbox.com/global/support/PublishingImages/xbox360/XboxLive/GetConnected/Setupahomenetwork/ILM-HomeNetworking_BASICS1.jpg

[COLOR="Magenta"]Thanks very much for that but i forgot to add the router is downstairs and the xbox is upstairs so do they need a longer wire ? sorry me and them don't understand these things :oops:[/COLOR]

Banned

shacal;4228732

[COLOR="Magenta"]Thanks very much for that but i forgot to add the router … [COLOR="Magenta"]Thanks very much for that but i forgot to add the router is downstairs and the xbox is upstairs so do they need a longer wire ? sorry me and them don't understand these things :oops:[/COLOR]

yes or you need a set of homeplugs (powerline adapter) that will give you a wired connection using the electric sockets of the house faculty-x.net/hom…htm plug one in near the router then use a small ethernet cable into the plug and into the xbox then take the other adapter and plug that into the socket near the xbox and use another small lead from the plug to the xbox

The cable needed is known as CAT 5 Ethernet. There are two different types of wiring you can have but as your friend will be using a router, they require the most common - Straight Through. I havent used this website but their prices seem really good:

comms-express.com/pro…ds/

I wouldnt recommend PC World or Maplin - they're prices will be much more! :thumbsup:

Can you move the router upstairs? If you can't then I'm afraid you'll have to spend money on homeplugs, or a gaming bridge or the MS wireless adaptor........

Original Poster

fragaliciousbob;4228822

yes or you need a set of homeplugs (powerline adapter) that will give you … yes or you need a set of homeplugs (powerline adapter) that will give you a wired connection using the electric sockets of the house http://www.faculty-x.net/homeplug%20value%20range.htm plug one in near the router then use a small ethernet cable into the plug and into the xbox then take the other adapter and plug that into the socket near the xbox and use another small lead from the plug to the xbox

[COLOR="Magenta"]Thanks i`ll have a look :thumbsup:[/COLOR]

Original Poster

[COLOR="Magenta"]is this something they can use as it seems a lot cheaper than everything being mentioned?
    play.com/PC/…tml [/COLOR]

Banned

shacal;4228885

[COLOR="Magenta"]is this something they can use as it seems a lot cheaper … [COLOR="Magenta"]is this something they can use as it seems a lot cheaper than everything being mentioned?http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3516352/Crossover-5e-RJ45-Ethernet-Network-Cable-UTP-XBox-10M/Product.html [/COLOR]

you can just run a long cable if you dont mind it running around the house or on the outside of the house

Original Poster

fragaliciousbob;4228928

you can just run a long cable if you dont mind it running around the … you can just run a long cable if you dont mind it running around the house or on the outside of the house

[COLOR="Magenta"]so what cable do they need is it just the one i said in my post or do they need different ones ?:thinking:[/COLOR]

Banned

you need a long ethernet cable

Original Poster

[COLOR="Magenta"]Thankyou rep will be given to all that replied [/COLOR]

Amazon resellers or ebuyers are very good for cables.

I have two 360's in my house mine is connected via wireless while the other is connected with a long ethernet cable. I'd get a tape measure and do a check of how long you need then get slightly longer so you have enough slack.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. wharf comp - win a michael grant watch - email entry only22
      2. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card11
      3. computer active mag comp - win one of two y-cam protect alarm systems worth…44
      4. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578

See more discussions