Connecting broke landline wires

Posted 30th Oct
Hi all. Does anybody know of any good connection type things to reconnect broken landline phone cables once they’re been broken. Rather than joining and wrapping round electrical tape.
Cheers
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
The correct way to join wires the wires back together are gel filled crimp connectors (aka jelly beans) which are used by BT. You can buy them from Amazon:

amazon.co.uk/Way…3TW
12 Comments
This, cut one off for each pair of wires...

wilko.com/en-…915

38852031-Hmjaf.jpg
Edited by: "IamMT" 30th Oct
IamMT30/10/2019 16:03

This, cut one off for each pair of …This, cut one off for each pair of wires...https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-3-amp-terminal-connector-strip-12way/p/0344915[Image]

Nice. Didn’t know you can use these for phone wires
Chocolate block is simple and suitable for this type of low voltage & low current connection, and only 99p delivered ebay.co.uk/itm…835
marshy5130/10/2019 16:05

Nice. Didn’t know you can use these for phone wires

You'll still need to strip the wire, I've used them in Raspberry Pi projects. It'll be sturdier than just tape, but RJ45 wire are v. thin.
Cheers guys
The correct way to join wires the wires back together are gel filled crimp connectors (aka jelly beans) which are used by BT. You can buy them from Amazon:

amazon.co.uk/Way…3TW
DistortedVision30/10/2019 16:19

The correct way to join wires the wires back together are gel filled crimp …The correct way to join wires the wires back together are gel filled crimp connectors (aka jelly beans) which are used by BT. You can buy them from Amazon:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-Gel-Filled-Connector-Crimps/dp/B007FGX3TW/ref=asc_df_B007FGX3TW

Iv actually seen these before. Are they reliable. If I crimp them together they will work? I don’t have any spare length on the wires so can’t afford to muck it up
marshy5130/10/2019 16:40

Iv actually seen these before. Are they reliable. If I crimp them together …Iv actually seen these before. Are they reliable. If I crimp them together they will work? I don’t have any spare length on the wires so can’t afford to muck it up

Just make sure the cables are in as far as they will go when you crimp.
Yes it's exactly what BT use. I accidentally cut through a phone cable for an extension socket when taking up old carpet a few years ago. I repaired them using these and it's been fine since. I actually asked a BT engineer how to repair them and he kindly gave me a load of these jelly beans.

Terminal connector blocks are not suitable because the wires are so thin. Yes of course jelly beans will work it's what they are designed for and are a completely permanent fix. I wrapped them in insulation tape just to protect them.
Edited by: "DistortedVision" 30th Oct
DistortedVision30/10/2019 16:19

The correct way to join wires the wires back together are gel filled crimp …The correct way to join wires the wires back together are gel filled crimp connectors (aka jelly beans) which are used by BT. You can buy them from Amazon:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-Gel-Filled-Connector-Crimps/dp/B007FGX3TW/ref=asc_df_B007FGX3TW

Excellent bit of info, thanks - glad I wandered into this thread.

marshy5130/10/2019 16:40

Iv actually seen these before. Are they reliable. If I crimp them together …Iv actually seen these before. Are they reliable. If I crimp them together they will work? I don’t have any spare length on the wires so can’t afford to muck it up

You can buy extra cable by the metre from Wilko or TLC if you have one nearby.
Edited by: "HappyShopper" 31st Oct
Best cable to use is CW1308 manufactured by BT Cables:

ebay.co.uk/itm…724

It's no more expensive if not cheaper than the junk you can buy in shops.
DistortedVision30/10/2019 20:13

Best cable to use is CW1308 manufactured by BT …Best cable to use is CW1308 manufactured by BT Cables:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-MANUFACTURED-10m-2-Pair-CW1308-White-Telephone-Extension-Cable-SOLID-COPPER/113501142724It's no more expensive if not cheaper than the junk you can buy in shops.

Nice one
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants