Groups

connecting laptop up to tv which has no VGA

Im thinking of connecting my laptop upto the TV downstairs which is TBH, a bit out of fashion.

Is there a way of connecting it up without a VGA connection being on the TV.

19 Comments

What slots are on the TV?

Original Poster

its got the RCA on the front.
    at the back - 2 scarts

Sony KV32 FX20 is the TV

redvee92;7151011

its got the RCA on the front. at the back - 2 scarts Sony KV32 FX20 is … its got the RCA on the front. at the back - 2 scarts Sony KV32 FX20 is the TV

something like 130341332416 VGA to triple RCA

Then something like 250507177455 3M Triple Phono 3 RCA AV Audio Video Cable Lead Gold UK

Original Poster

would this also transfer the sound to come out the tv speakers rather than the laptop?

VGA TO 3 RCA COMPONENT CABLE FOR LAPTOP NOTEBOOK PC UK

Would this not work?

Original Poster

Adam2050;7151105

something like 130341332416 VGA to triple RCA Then something like … something like 130341332416 VGA to triple RCA Then something like 250507177455 3M Triple Phono 3 RCA AV Audio Video Cable Lead Gold UK

Never mind - bought them. Thanks :santa:

Nope you would need one of these to the sound input part.

And only plug the yellow one in you can find them seperate which might be easier.

Original Poster

[QUOTE=180442721471[/QUOTE]

Cant find one - what is it? :oops:

redvee92;7151373

Cant find one - what is it? :oops:

Its there ending in 2 secs

3.5mm Headphones Plug Jack to 2 x RCA Audio Cable

Original Poster

So i would connect the VGA to RCA cable. Then connect the triple RCA cable to both ends - but only the yellow to the tv? then the 180442721471 into laptop headphone and into the red/white RCA on the TV?

redvee92;7151422

So i would connect the VGA to RCA cable. Then connect the triple RCA … So i would connect the VGA to RCA cable. Then connect the triple RCA cable to both ends - but only the yellow to the tv? then the 180442721471 into laptop headphone and into the red/white RCA on the TV?

basically yes.

Will that work? The Yellow RCA connector is for a composite signal which is different from the RGB VGA signal.

EndlessWaves;7153122

Will that work? The Yellow RCA connector is for a composite signal which … Will that work? The Yellow RCA connector is for a composite signal which is different from the RGB VGA signal.

No, I don't think it will work - I think there were some graphics cards that encoded a composite signal within the VGA port through slightly different wiring, that's what the cable is for. It's a while since I looked into it but it can't do a straight through connect from VGA to RCA.

To connect to a TV over s-video/composite (black circular video port/yellow phono port) the laptop will need a corresponding port on it.

John

Original Poster

so is there a way of doing this or not at all?

redvee92;7204064

What laptop is it?

Original Poster

jennyrocks;7204120

What laptop is it?

Sony Vaio VGN-NR10E

Original Poster

mine isnt anywhere to be seen :?

redvee92;7204064

I've had a look at pictures of the laptop but I can't see any sign of the s-video/composite port you'd need for outputting to a TV over an SD connection. There may be ways to do it with USB/Express card adapters but I haven't tried a method like this for a while and have no specific recommendations.

John

dcx_badass;7204204

That doesn't make a difference anyway. But OP most full size laptops have … That doesn't make a difference anyway. But OP most full size laptops have a S Video output hidden away somewhere on them.

It does make a difference as the OP can't find the S-Video port which means it may not have one. By confirming which laptop the OP has somebody can and has looked online to see what ports the laptop has.

redvee92;7204064

A full converter would do it, something like ]this for £50. Apart from that you might have luck with a VGA to RGB SCART cable if you don't mind fiddling around with the settings but a quick search shows your laptop may have intel integrated graphics and if that's the case I wouldn't even consider trying.

Bear in mind that if your TV is not an HD model it has very limited resolution and will be unsuitable for a lot of things these days. Videos are about the only thing that will work well.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ps4 slim how much should I charge 2nd hand.611
      2. Cheapest way to obtain Microsoft Office?56
      3. Iphone 7 - What Case?619
      4. recent price to fit a standard sized garage door56

See more discussions