Groups

Connecting my PC to my HDTV - Help Needed

Hey guys, I was just wondering what cables etc i would need to connect my pc to my tv as my monitor is on the way out and it would save me buying a new one :-)

any help appreciated

cheers

8 Comments

Banned

if you have a VGA port on your pc and TV then a normal vga cable will do.. take it from your monitor.

if you have DVI on your pc and HDMI on your tv then get a conversion cable.

If the pc has a hd slot and the tv has a hd slot then you'll just need a regular hd lead.

If you want sound through the tv too, you'll need to get a male to male audio cable, the ends are the same you'd plug into your headphone out on your pc and you stick that into either your headphone out on your tv or a similar connector at the back of your tv.

Original Poster

bykergrove;5164542

if you have a VGA port on your pc and TV then a normal vga cable will … if you have a VGA port on your pc and TV then a normal vga cable will do.. take it from your monitor.if you have DVI on your pc and HDMI on your tv then get a conversion cable.

thanks very much! what does a dvi look like being an idiot? lol

Original Poster

rep left for both of you

Banned

dude take a pic of the back of your PC and the back of your TV and we can tell you what cable you most likely need

bykergrove;5164630

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dvi+porthttp://lmgtfy.com/?q=hdmi+porthttp://lmgtfy.com/?q=vga+port

Right, so he can blame you if he mistakes a similar looking serial port for a VGA port and buys the wrong cable?

VGA ports have 15 pins in three staggered rows, they're generally blue on a PC. A 9-pin port that looks similar is a serial port and doesn't carry video.

DVI ports look pretty distinctive, but it's worth checking ]which types you have. It'll probably be a DVI-I dual-link connector on the PC side and a DVI-D or DVI-I socket on the TV side.

HDMI is also pretty distinctive, but if either the PC or the TV is less than a year old then it is worth checking for DisplayPort sockets as they look similar (If both happen to have DisplayPort then that's a good way to connect them too).

Banned

EndlessWaves;5165535

Right, so he can blame you if he mistakes a similar looking serial port … Right, so he can blame you if he mistakes a similar looking serial port for a VGA port and buys the wrong cable?VGA ports have 15 pins in three staggered rows, they're generally blue on a PC. A 9-pin port that looks similar is a serial port and doesn't carry video.DVI ports look pretty distinctive, but it's worth checking ]which types you have. It'll probably be a DVI-I dual-link connector on the PC side and a DVI-D or DVI-I socket on the TV side.HDMI is also pretty distinctive, but if either the PC or the TV is less than a year old then it is worth checking for DisplayPort sockets as they look similar (If both happen to have DisplayPort then that's a good way to connect them too).

do they have serial to hdmi? or serial to DVI?

I already told him that if his pc and tv both have VGA then he can use the monitor cable.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …199541
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846299
      3. Your dream gaming set up?1846
      4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523422

See more discussions