Connecting PC to LCD Television

31 replies
Found 17th Apr 2008
Hey all, I wonder if someone could help me out.

I have a Samsung 32in LCD TV and I know I can connect a PC to it but I don't know what cable I need to use. I have an integrated graphics card so cannot plug anything into that.

There is about 2m between my PC and TV so I'd appreciate it if somebody could help me out with what I should be looking for so I can watch films from my PC without copying to disc.

Thanks for any help.

31 Comments

what connections do you have on you PC and you TV? does your PC have dual display connection?

Banned

I did this. I bought a splitter.

Basically you remove the lead that connects to your monitor. Stick a splitter in instead, then plug the monitor lead back in and get another one in the other socket to the TV.

There is probably a better way but works fine and cost £5 so I'm happy. If yopu want sound though you have to buy another lead, or just use the speakers on your PC

Try looking for MHP Computer Services they are Midlands based and have their own website and there on Ebay too

Banned

you need a 5m one of these: http://www.ust.hk/itsc/classroom/notebook/photo/cable_vga.jpg

and yes, a splitter if you want to use the monitor and TV at the same time or dont want to keep on plugging and unplugging

Banned

eBAY NUMBER:

For splitter, VGA cables you can get from there too

To get the best out of your lcd Tv i ll sugest you get a cheap graphics card with dual connection that way you can be watching a movies at the same time be using you pc for something else. You ll really enjoy your TV this wat, I was initially using ODB's method too, but if an watching a movie I cannot use the pc for something else and also the resolution on the computer will suffer due to the attched vga splitter. Choice is yours

Banned

Saayinla Thats a good Idea. No good for me as TV on top of PC so can't watch while using PC without cracking my neck.

Resolution doesn't really suffer too much though on TV, but all depends on the TV I suppose

Original Poster

Thats spot on guys thanks very much for your help and very quick resonses. I think I'll settle for the splitter method first and see how it goes. Cheers again

Banned

If u need any help/advice PM me

I'd suggest the cheap card and cable method as well.
Splitter might not be great, and not even sure how resolution will work out between the 2.
Will it show on the big tv in widescreen etc?

Cheap card, and plug both in, same method as i have.

Can let the GF watch a movie on the big telly, while i check out the HotUKDeals lol
My TV's on the wall well above the PC one as well.

Banned

a cheap dual display graphics card will only set you back £15. check scan.co.uk or ebuyer.co.uk

I ll show you the diffrence in a bit

Original Poster

I'm not entirely sure cos I'm not really up on adding stuff to my PC but I dont think I can add a graphics card as there is an integrated one and don't remember seeing the connections for one in the back. I'll take another luck after work and go down that route if there is.

Banned

Stuff still shows in widescreen no probs, doesn't stretch the image or anything

am on the pc at the same time watching a movie on my tv in 720p quality
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/saayinla/P1010937.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/saayinla/P1010938.jpg

Original Poster

aha thats quality that thanks saayinla can this only be done using the dual connection graphics card and not the splitter

Its hella easy to add in a card.

It dont matter if you have intergrated, you just un-install the drivers for that.

Check the motherboard for what connector you have, it will be either AGP or PCI-Express (unless the PC is ancient, like 5+yrs ) and you just get a cheap-un, slot it in and install the drivers.
Easy peasy.

And saayinla, need to adjust your TV a bit, its not sitting right.
Big black bar on the left.

HaggisHunter;1912739

Its hella easy to add in a card.It dont matter if you have intergrated, … Its hella easy to add in a card.It dont matter if you have intergrated, you just un-install the drivers for that.Check the motherboard for what connector you have, it will be either AGP or PCI-Express (unless the PC is ancient, like 5+yrs ) and you just get a cheap-un, slot it in and install the drivers. Easy peasy.And saayinla, need to adjust your TV a bit, its not sitting right.Big black bar on the left.

Yes I know, reason is I have increased the resolution of the graphics card output to the tv to equals 1080i which is giving me full screen images which i prefer for downloads like lost 720p and HD dvd rips.

Is that The Bank Job?????? :whistling:

what makes you think it is?

Because I seen it!!!

My Sammy is native at 1366x768 apparently and my Card outputs at 1360x768.
Difference is only 6 pixels, and looks like 3 on each side, looking at it the now.

Got Stargate Atlantis HD on it and looks gorgeous.
Camera and the lighting in that corner of the room is rubbish though (well dark corner, good for viewing)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/johnnycarrotheid/DSC00264.JPG

HaggisHunter;1912947

My Sammy is native at 1366x768 apparently and my Card outputs at … My Sammy is native at 1366x768 apparently and my Card outputs at 1360x768.Difference is only 6 pixels, and looks like 3 on each side, looking at it the now.Got Stargate Atlantis HD on it and looks gorgeous.Camera and the lighting in that corner of the room is rubbish though (well dark corner, good for viewing)

what fequency is your tv operating @?

Like the refresh rate, its at 60hz

Its the only one the ATI drivers let me run at, the Nvidia ones on my old card let me go higher, but think it shunted the screen over a bit likes yours if say i put it at 70Hz.
Nvidia drivers are better for dual desktops, specially if the 2 monitors are set up differently imo.

been trying to see hw to get that black strip on the left away. it only come there when watching movies from PC. but all other inputs are fine. its connected dvi form pc to vga input on tv.

How do you connect a laptop to TV. I have the Samsung R87 tv which has a PC input. When I connect my laptop through a vga cable it just shows the desktop background only. Nothing else, no icons or anything. I am running Vista Home Premium on a Dell Inspiron 1501. Any other settings I need to change to enable the output? Any help would be appreciated. I too would like to watch The Bank Job on a 32" screen rather than huddle round a 15.4" laptop.
Many Thanks in advance.

pugw$sh;1916291

How do you connect a laptop to TV. I have the Samsung R87 tv which has a … How do you connect a laptop to TV. I have the Samsung R87 tv which has a PC input. When I connect my laptop through a vga cable it just shows the desktop background only. Nothing else, no icons or anything. I am running Vista Home Premium on a Dell Inspiron 1501. Any other settings I need to change to enable the output? Any help would be appreciated. I too would like to watch The Bank Job on a 32" screen rather than huddle round a 15.4" laptop.Many Thanks in advance.

what has happened is that your laptop has dual display capability, which means you can play a movie on your computer and drag it on to the tv display, it is located on the right side of your laptop display. if you right click on your desktop display and click on personalize then click on display setting you will be able to edit and manage both display settings.

saayinla;1916188

been trying to see hw to get that black strip on the left away. it only … been trying to see hw to get that black strip on the left away. it only come there when watching movies from PC. but all other inputs are fine. its connected dvi form pc to vga input on tv.

Check the refresh rate and set it to 60, might sort it.
And check what the tv resolution is, and set it to whatever it says in the booklet.
Sounds like the refresh i think, had it myself once with the old set-up and just played about and it went away.

And yea pugwash, just drag it over to the right and itl show on the telly.
Personalize only works on Nvidia i think though, cant get different desktop backgrounds on my ATI, cant upgrade drivers either to find out as the AGP x1950 Pro dont like the newer ones.

Yes the most simple way is to buy another card, even a second hand one around £10 aint gonna cost much more than a splitter anyway plus it will be less pressure on the pc as having 2 displays on an integrated card means it will lag badly if you are using something graphucally intensive.

Banned

ryouga;1916689

plus it will be less pressure on the pc as having 2 displays on an … plus it will be less pressure on the pc as having 2 displays on an integrated card means it will lag badly if you are using something graphucally intensive.

i dont know about this statement as with a splitter cable the computer doesnt know that it is being displayed on two screens. it has only one output and so the only disadvantage is that you can only "mirror" your desktop on the TV. so everything that is displayed on the computer is displayed on the tv (which is what pugwash is confused about.

with a dual display card you have "dual displays" you can have different things in different screens here is my pc:
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/faketagguy/IMG_0746.jpg

this is where the graphics card had to work harder as it has two outputs and they can be different resolutions etc.

saayinla;1916527

what has happened is that your laptop has dual display capability, which … what has happened is that your laptop has dual display capability, which means you can play a movie on your computer and drag it on to the tv display, it is located on the right side of your laptop display. if you right click on your desktop display and click on personalize then click on display setting you will be able to edit and manage both display settings.

Many Thanks.:thumbsup:

HaggisHunter;1916682

Check the refresh rate and set it to 60, might sort it.And check what the … Check the refresh rate and set it to 60, might sort it.And check what the tv resolution is, and set it to whatever it says in the booklet.Sounds like the refresh i think, had it myself once with the old set-up and just played about and it went away.And yea pugwash, just drag it over to the right and itl show on the telly.Personalize only works on Nvidia i think though, cant get different desktop backgrounds on my ATI, cant upgrade drivers either to find out as the AGP x1950 Pro dont like the newer ones.

Tv only support 60 and 50 htz and it s currently set as 60htz when i changed it to 50htz tv couldnt display ant image it says out of range.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522896
    2. Add one, leave one game54415482
    3. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604843
    4. Premium baked beans just 99p for 4 cans from ALDI!2040

See more discussions