Connecting PC to TV monitor with HDMI input only

Found 22nd Apr
I needed advice on connecting 2 different computers one which has both DisplayPort and VGA Ports and other which has VGA Port only to a TV which has HDMI input only. I was looking at aliexpress website but noticed various types of adaptors to simple connectors.

Has anybody tried this. I need this so I can connect the computer to my son's play room which has the TV. Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Displayport to HDMI adapter for the first PC.

And a VGA to HDMI adapter for the 2nd (if you don't want sound. With sound you can buy a VGA + 3.5mm jack to HDMI cable).
Edited by: "kos1c" 22nd Apr
The VGA will need a converter box, there's nothing in common between the two protocols. A simple cable won't work.

DisplayPort will depend on the laptop. Many DisplayPort outputs support Dual Mode, if that's the case for this one then it's able to output HDMI so a simple cable/plug adapter will work. If it has the DP++ logo it definitely supports dual mode, if it doesn't then it may do.

Unfortunately ebay/aliexpress etc. sellers tend to throw all the terms they can think of at a listing so telling the two types apart apart can be tricky. The latest terminology is passive adapter for something that just changes the plug and active adapter for something that converts the signal.
May I ask for what do you need the computer connected to the TV for? I ask as you may simply just need a chromecast or firestick in 90% of occasions.
ohmygod20061 h, 10 m ago

May I ask for what do you need the computer connected to the TV for? I ask …May I ask for what do you need the computer connected to the TV for? I ask as you may simply just need a chromecast or firestick in 90% of occasions.

I had been using Chromecast till now but want him to start using a computer keyboard. We are not really expecting high quality video/audio - anything decent to browse, play some youtube videos and using OpenOffice.
EndlessWaves5 h, 46 m ago

The VGA will need a converter box, there's nothing in common between the …The VGA will need a converter box, there's nothing in common between the two protocols. A simple cable won't work.DisplayPort will depend on the laptop. Many DisplayPort outputs support Dual Mode, if that's the case for this one then it's able to output HDMI so a simple cable/plug adapter will work. If it has the DP++ logo it definitely supports dual mode, if it doesn't then it may do.Unfortunately ebay/aliexpress etc. sellers tend to throw all the terms they can think of at a listing so telling the two types apart apart can be tricky. The latest terminology is passive adapter for something that just changes the plug and active adapter for something that converts the signal.

The computer with the DisplayPort is the Dell PowerEdge T20 Server. I assume ti should support Dual Mode. Have you seen any of the VGA converter box in action?
I'm using a Dell T20, you need one of these for DP to HDMI. You need the sound to come from your speakers from your PC.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 23rd Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants