Groups

Connecting two computers to the same monitor?

Is there an easy way to do this? I assume I'm going to have to get a KVM and connect it up with that, wasn't sure if there was a cable to do it more easily/cheaply?

Also any good KVMs out there? Have looked at some but they have some really bad reviews about keep switching without pressing the button to switch! I use a wireless keyboard and mouse that go through the same receiver into 1 usb slot.

Thanks!

17 Comments

Banned

kramer switcher but it will be dear

Banned

or you can get a crash box for peanuts but the switching looks jumpy

Original Poster

danby jason;2076404

or you can get a crash box for peanuts but the switching looks ****

What's this? And what do you mean the switching looks ****?

amazon.co.uk/Bel…8-5

I assume this is what I want, just wondering if there was a cable that would do it much cheaper?

Banned

Benjimoron;2076415

What's this? And what do you mean the switching looks … What's this? And what do you mean the switching looks ****?http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Switch2-KVM-PC-Audio/dp/B000HA45Y0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1210528803&sr=8-5I assume this is what I want, just wondering if there was a cable that would do it much cheaper?

you wont get a cable to do it

Banned

all that it is is like a 4 way mains extention 1 in 2 out

Banned

[url]www.kramer.com[/url]
    this is what i use at work

Danby, you know you can just use a comma or a full stop dot rather than make a new post for ever sentence fragment, don't you?

Banned

dxx;2077372

Danby, you know you can just use a comma or a full stop dot rather than … Danby, you know you can just use a comma or a full stop dot rather than make a new post for ever sentence fragment, don't you?

no i dont but now i do how

are u using usb and audio, there are a range of kvm's starting very cheap ]see here

do you really need the usb or audio?

Original Poster

maddogb;2078289

are u using usb and audio, there are a range of kvm's starting very cheap … are u using usb and audio, there are a range of kvm's starting very cheap ]see heredo you really need the usb or audio?

Need the usb and the keyboard and mouse work through it, don't think I can use a ps/2 convertor as both mouse and keyboard go through one usb.

Although thinking about it I could just use it as a switch for the monitor and use 2 sets of keyboards/mice. I have a spare set which I could use and hide them away when not in use.

Any idea what the cheapest reliable kvm is? Will use seperate keyboard/mouse, just need a switch for the monitor.

Benjimoron;2079278

Need the usb and the keyboard and mouse work through it, don't think I … Need the usb and the keyboard and mouse work through it, don't think I can use a ps/2 convertor as both mouse and keyboard go through one usb.Although thinking about it I could just use it as a switch for the monitor and use 2 sets of keyboards/mice. I have a spare set which I could use and hide them away when not in use.Any idea what the cheapest reliable kvm is? Will use seperate keyboard/mouse, just need a switch for the monitor.

There is plenty of KVMs that have USB too. First one i found ebuyer.com/pro…569

I have a really cheap KVM from eBuyer, works a treat

Banned

what's kvm?

csiman;2080144

what's kvm?

A KVM switch (with KVM being an abbreviation for Keyboard, Video or Visual Display Unit, Mouse) is a hardware device that allows a user to control multiple computers from a single keyboard, video monitor and mouse.

Original Poster

JayBird;2079992

There is plenty of KVMs that have USB too. First one i found … There is plenty of KVMs that have USB too. First one i found http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143569I have a really cheap KVM from eBuyer, works a treat

Was hoping for something nearer a tenner! It's only for use about once a month!

Are there any super cheap ones as it doesn't need usb or anything as I'll use a seperate keyboard/mouse as I have one spare.

]http//ww…1-7

I used one of these for quite some time with no problems - 2 computers displayed on same monitor courtesy of the flick of a switch. Monitor switched only (no mouse, keyboard etc) and remember to order any extra cables you may need.

Original Poster

Murielson;2080920

]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Port-Way-VGA-Monitor-Switch/dp/B000J249JC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&m=A32EB9BFB2FDBY&s=generic&qid=1210594229&sr=1-7I used one of these for quite some time with no problems - 2 computers displayed on same monitor courtesy of the flick of a switch. Monitor switched only (no mouse, keyboard etc) and remember to order any extra cables you may need.

Looks good, thanks!¬

Benjimoron;2081049

Looks good, thanks!¬

watch those mechanical switches, i had a friend blow his monitor up using one of those was running one monitor at high refresh and switched over forgetting that, whine bang,,, stick with electronic ones, and try using the usb/ps2 adapters
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Flights only Dominican Republic33
      2. Buy back on Euros to £££34
      3. Iphone 7 - What Case?59
      4. Samsung or Hisense11

See more discussions