Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Connecting Xbox controller to PC

Posted 30th Sep
Just wondering if anyone else has problems with connecting an Xbox controller to a PC.

I’ve had it with mine where it just won’t pick it up for ages and then suddenly will and will work absolutely fine when it does.

Just wondering if this is normal or whether I should return it before it’s too late to do so?

Tia
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
Original? 360? One? Elite? Knock off? Bluetooth? Wireless? Wired? Windows XP/7/8/10?

But no, they shouldn’t be dropping out. Loose connection or bad receiver most likely.
Edited by: "Vencurse" 30th Sep
Bluetooth or their own dongle? Dongle is pretty reliable, for bluetooth - and assuming its already paired - then if it doesnt connect after a couple of flashes after you've pressed the xbox button then I can only suggest powering off the controller by holding the xbox button for 5 secs then try connecting again. If that fails you can try to delete the device in Windows and try to re-pair. Sometimes my bluetooth rx on the PC works better after a reboot.
Edited by: "jwsg" 30th Sep
Vencurse30/09/2019 20:17

Original? 360? One? Elite? Knock off? Bluetooth? Wireless? Wired? Windows …Original? 360? One? Elite? Knock off? Bluetooth? Wireless? Wired? Windows XP/7/8/10?But no, they shouldn’t be dropping out. Loose connection or bad receiver most likely.

Xbox one wireless controller windows 10. I bought it especially for the PC because I’d always played one game on console and never got used to pc controls. Works fine with cable but obviously paying the amount of money for it...
Their own dongle? Like any of the dongles - like keyboard and mouse then try to maintain line of sight - plug in front socket on PC raather than round the back - or you can get a USB extension so the dongle is away from the PC - which is not a very radio friendly thing

I use controller from sofa - and prev had a 360 controller with a receiver that I put under TV in line of sight - I'm Bluetooth on my new xbox controller but I might go dongle to get headset audio
Edited by: "jwsg" 30th Sep
jwsg30/09/2019 20:30

Their own dongle? Like any of the dongles - like keyboard and mouse then …Their own dongle? Like any of the dongles - like keyboard and mouse then try to maintain line of sight - plug in front socket on PC raather than round the back - or you can get a USB extension so the dongle is away from the PC - which is not a very radio friendly thingI use controller from sofa - and prev had a 360 controller with a receiver that I put under TV in line of sight - I'm Bluetooth on my new xbox controller but I might go dongle to get headset audio

I’m just using a normal Bluetooth adapter thing, but have used two different ones to no avail. Will try moving where it’s plugged in but doubtful.

Tried another Xbox controller and that didn’t work either. Very strange. I know my Windows 10 files are corrupted but before they were there were problems. Might have to buy their official dongle and try that I guess.
Working now after a .net windows update and moving the adapter. Very strange but also annoying. Thanks for the help everyone

Edit: Nevermind. It’s still not working properly. Only the Xbox button is working!
Edited by: "Mechtup" 30th Sep
Its very easy to underestimate how complicated tech is these days when we take for granted it "just works". Firstly it sounds like you need to sort out the PC itself as you mention "Windows 10 files are corrupted ". Getting the right bluetooth drivers is the next hurdle.

The connection being unreliable could well be positioning of the donlge (its got the antenna inside). But when connected all the buttons will then work. There is a controller calibration you can bring up in Windows to check all the axes and buttons ween its connected.
Use it wired instead
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants