Conservatory Heaters

Posted 27th Jun
Hi,

I currently have a Dimplex Heater in my conservatory, but it's pretty old and stands out with its horrible beige colour! No idea what wattage it is or if it's a convector heater? Has vents on the top and a 1-5 heater setting knob.

Looking for a decent heater I can mount on the wall and that will heat the conservatory to a noticeable warm level.

Any recommendations please?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
We bought Mylek wall mounted Heaters for our garage conversation. So far very happy with them .
Robjet28/06/2020 10:10

We bought Mylek wall mounted Heaters for our garage conversation. So far …We bought Mylek wall mounted Heaters for our garage conversation. So far very happy with them .

Do you have a link please?
Could underfloor heating be an option?
Robjet28/06/2020 10:44

mylek.co.uk/mylek-aluminium-electric-panel-heater-1500wWe bought these, we …mylek.co.uk/mylek-aluminium-electric-panel-heater-1500wWe bought these, we have the largest and the smallest ones ( not in the same room ) . Very happy with them quick to heat up and warm the room nicely

Does it have the vents on top to throw out the heat?

I was looking at a Dimplex panel heater but it has no vents and makes me think it'll be useless?
Yes they do
Robloxian28/06/2020 11:12

Does it have the vents on top to throw out the heat?I was looking at a …Does it have the vents on top to throw out the heat?I was looking at a Dimplex panel heater but it has no vents and makes me think it'll be useless?

Nah. Thermodynamics ensures that heat always leaks out at the same rate it's being generated one way or another.

The main reason to have vents through a heater is to keep the heater cool. A larger surface area means that the heat flow causes a lower temperature difference

Keeping the heater closer to room temperature not only makes is less unpleasant to touch but also helps its control system judge when to turn it on and off.
we had a conservatory in our house when we first moved into it 10 years ago.

Used it as a play room for the kids.

Had two electric convector room heaters to keep it warm in the winter and was unpleasantly surprised by a £3000 electricity bill in the spring.

- This was my only experience of having a conservatory - too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter

- Conservatory has since been knocked down and we have had a proper extension built in its place.

Helpful56728/06/2020 18:11

we had a conservatory in our house when we first moved into it 10 years …we had a conservatory in our house when we first moved into it 10 years ago.Used it as a play room for the kids.Had two electric convector room heaters to keep it warm in the winter and was unpleasantly surprised by a £3000 electricity bill in the spring.- This was my only experience of having a conservatory - too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter- Conservatory has since been knocked down and we have had a proper extension built in its place.

Ouch.

Our current heater doesn't cost us that much, although we do at times have it off unless we plan to go in there.
EndlessWaves28/06/2020 17:56

Nah. Thermodynamics ensures that heat always leaks out at the same rate …Nah. Thermodynamics ensures that heat always leaks out at the same rate it's being generated one way or another.The main reason to have vents through a heater is to keep the heater cool. A larger surface area means that the heat flow causes a lower temperature differenceKeeping the heater closer to room temperature not only makes is less unpleasant to touch but also helps its control system judge when to turn it on and off.

Thanks, so a heater without vents won't really make a difference warning a room?
ran123ran28/06/2020 10:55

Could underfloor heating be an option?

This. Best thing we've had, and going for a fixed tiled guardian roof replacing the 90's style glass one
MrKrabs28/06/2020 23:17

This. Best thing we've had, and going for a fixed tiled guardian roof …This. Best thing we've had, and going for a fixed tiled guardian roof replacing the 90's style glass one

Does this type of roof have insulation properties?
ran123ran29/06/2020 09:15

Does this type of roof have insulation properties?

Yeah, has made a huuuge difference. About 1ft of insulation.
MrKrabs29/06/2020 09:21

Yeah, has made a huuuge difference. About 1ft of insulation.

Could your conservatory now be used in the winter (with tiled insulated roof)?
Edited by: "ran123ran" 29th Jun
ran123ran29/06/2020 09:23

Could your conservatory now be used in the winter (with tiled insulated …Could your conservatory now be used in the winter (with tiled insulated roof)?

Yeah, but we have underfloor heating on too. If it's minus 2 outside it tends to be around 15 in conservatory without underfloor heating on - before it would be around 10.

Makes it much nicer in summer too, before it was like a greenhouse even with Windows open, now it's pleasant in there (still open the solar windows though). We actually use it as a room now (bifold doors are nice too) whereas before because garden is south facing it was only useful for storage or growing plants!
Edited by: "MrKrabs" 29th Jun
MrKrabs29/06/2020 09:33

Yeah, but we have underfloor heating on too. If it's minus 2 outside it …Yeah, but we have underfloor heating on too. If it's minus 2 outside it tends to be around 15 in conservatory without underfloor heating on - before it would be around 10.Makes it much nicer in summer too, before it was like a greenhouse even with Windows open, now it's pleasant in there (still open the solar windows though). We actually use it as a room now (bifold doors are nice too) whereas before because garden is south facing it was only useful for storage or growing plants!

Approx how much does it cost for a tiled roof to replace a glass one? And how long did it take from start to finish?
My folks have conservatory approx 4m by 3m.
ran123ran29/06/2020 10:01

Approx how much does it cost for a tiled roof to replace a glass one? And …Approx how much does it cost for a tiled roof to replace a glass one? And how long did it take from start to finish?My folks have conservatory approx 4m by 3m.

We had our entire conservatory replaced, removed part brick wall, in dark grey, bifold doors, one solid wall, power sockets, 2x remote controlled solar windows, spot lights, underfloor heating with porcelain tiles, approx 4mx4m approx, that was a touch over £19k.
We removed old tile floor, other than that was all done by them.

Took a week from memory, Inc tiling.
Edited by: "MrKrabs" 29th Jun
Robloxian28/06/2020 23:11

Thanks, so a heater without vents won't really make a difference warning a …Thanks, so a heater without vents won't really make a difference warning a room?

Yup, whichever type of heater you use the thermometer will rise at the same rate for the same amount of power. Being able to keep a room warm is a battle between how much electricity you're burning and how much heat the room is losing. That's why insulating the room is generally recommended as the first priority. It makes existing heaters heat the room much faster and is cheaper in the long run, as well as being a lot more environmentally friendly.

The fancier systems like underfloor and infrared have other advantages. They attempt to heat up the bits that affect your sense of temperature first - the stuff you're touching and your body. So they can feel warmer at lower air temperatures so the room is usable more quickly.

Plus they have benefits like packaging, an underfloor heating frees up wall space and there's no fan making noise.

EndlessWaves29/06/2020 11:35

Yup, whichever type of heater you use the thermometer will rise at the …Yup, whichever type of heater you use the thermometer will rise at the same rate for the same amount of power. Being able to keep a room warm is a battle between how much electricity you're burning and how much heat the room is losing. That's why insulating the room is generally recommended as the first priority. It makes existing heaters heat the room much faster and is cheaper in the long run, as well as being a lot more environmentally friendly. The fancier systems like underfloor and infrared have other advantages. They attempt to heat up the bits that affect your sense of temperature first - the stuff you're touching and your body. So they can feel warmer at lower air temperatures so the room is usable more quickly. Plus they have benefits like packaging, an underfloor heating frees up wall space and there's no fan making noise. .

Thanks. It's fully double glazed so I don't think it could be anymore way to insulate it.

In terms of the slimline, wall mountable panel heaters with no vents, is that likely to be just as good as a bulkier one with vents?
Hi all, I have no idea what 'w' my current one is as the labels have come off.

For a small conservatory, what 'w' would you suggest? I'm thinking 1.5 is overkill?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants