Conservatory roof replacement

Found 2nd Aug 2011
I've just got an offer on my house, and the buyer requested that I replace my conservatory roof because there is a small hole on it. But the hole does nothing at all, no harm or anything.

I'm wondering how much would it cost me to have it replace. Wondering whether I can only replace that 1 small bit or do i have to have the whole roof replace.
Community Updates
MiscConservatory
23 Comments
They are trying it on, picture of the roof would help. Is it glass or that horrible plastic stuff. If you're desperate to sell though and haven't got the funds just cut the value of your house, so you go 50/50 on the cost of having it repaired/replaced.
Edited by: "lumoruk" 2nd Aug 2011
does the hole let water in ?
I'm afraid I don't have the picture as I'm not in the property atm. I'm at different city.

The hole doesn't let the water in at all.

it does no harm , does nothing at all, but the buyer still requests to have it replace.

The offer has been accepted, and then the estate agent called me saying the buyer requested this thing to be replaced,
lumoruk

They are trying it on, picture of the roof would help. Is it glass or … They are trying it on, picture of the roof would help. Is it glass or that horrible plastic stuff. If you're desperate to sell though and haven't got the funds just cut the value of your house, so you go 50/50 on the cost of having it repaired/replaced.

it's not glass. I believe it's plastic
If it's polycarbonate then you should be able to have the panel replaced. Buyers try everything on these days.
Elves

I'm afraid I don't have the picture as I'm not in the property atm. I'm … I'm afraid I don't have the picture as I'm not in the property atm. I'm at different city.The hole doesn't let the water in at all.it does no harm , does nothing at all, but the buyer still requests to have it replace.The offer has been accepted, and then the estate agent called me saying the buyer requested this thing to be replaced,

I would say not a chance .. as there is no egress from water and the integrity of the roof is good, I would not see an issue. Or at worst get a repair ..

If a full survey picked up an issue well then you can bargain.. but I think they are trying it on.. had a similar issue with my buyer ..

Cover it with chewing gum.
Come back through your lawyer stating you're willing to repair but not replace - and see what they come back with.

Still for the sake of smoothing things over, a sheet of polycarb is not too expensive.
sellotape
whatsThePoint

So you have a hole in the roof thats 100% water proof

These polycarb roofs are often double-skinned - so the water can channel out the bottom and not inside the dwelling.
we were thinking of knocking £100 off the offer, 'cause we don't have time to sort it out ourself, we are in different city, it's not that cost efficient to go back and forth every weekend.
moob

Come back through your lawyer stating you're willing to repair but not … Come back through your lawyer stating you're willing to repair but not replace - and see what they come back with.Still for the sake of smoothing things over, a sheet of polycarb is not too expensive.

How much do you reckon plus labour?
estate agent suggested that they have a contractor that they normally used to repair their let properties. and he will give me a quote and then invoiced us.
dcx_badass

Do this and they'll come back with more stuff...

what do I say if I don't want to replace it because there is indeed a hole on the roof.
they are viewing the house at this right moment, see if they come up with any other demand.
if i could have a rough idea on how much would the labour cost for this kind of job, than i would know should i go ahead with it or not
Elves

what do I say if I don't want to replace it because there is indeed a … what do I say if I don't want to replace it because there is indeed a hole on the roof. they are viewing the house at this right moment, see if they come up with any other demand.

You do realise that dcx is a child who still lives with his mum and dad?!

In any case, in this market you clearly want to close the sale - so I'd take your estate agent's advice and expect them to do the job for around £150. That's purely a guess without seeing how it is fitted/dimensions/location etc.
dcx_badass

....who moved out two years ago....Update the database, you're really … ....who moved out two years ago....Update the database, you're really getting sloppy. It's embarassing really.

My apologies - I shall edit 'dcx is a child who recently moved out his mum and dad's house but is now living in student digs paid for by them'
Some types of polycarbonate are now obsolete, our business is double glazing and depending on the thickness and colour you might not be able to match it so it could mean a complete new roof ! Poly comes in differing shades- opaque, clear, bronze, heatgaurd, heatshield , the list is endless. We had one job damaged by hailstones and nowhere in Europe had any in stock, best off getting a glazing firm around instead of asking on here .
goldmax

Some types of polycarbonate are now obsolete, our business is double … Some types of polycarbonate are now obsolete, our business is double glazing and depending on the thickness and colour you might not be able to match it so it could mean a complete new roof ! Poly comes in differing shades- opaque, clear, bronze, heatgaurd, heatshield , the list is endless. We had one job damaged by hailstones and nowhere in Europe had any in stock, best off getting a glazing firm around instead of asking on here .

have any idea how much plus labour would it cost if I have to replace the whole roof?
moob

You do realise that dcx is a child who still lives with his mum and … You do realise that dcx is a child who still lives with his mum and dad?!In any case, in this market you clearly want to close the sale - so I'd take your estate agent's advice and expect them to do the job for around £150. That's purely a guess without seeing how it is fitted/dimensions/location etc.

thanks
Elves - I'd certainly attempt to contact the buyer via your lawyer and alter their request to stipulate you're willing to repair the hole in the roof, but not completely replace it, as that would be unreasonable.

Much akin to someone asking for a new window on a double glazing unit that simply requires to be re-gassed.
dcx_badass

If you want to pretend you know what you're talking about at least use … If you want to pretend you know what you're talking about at least use the right words, a Solicitor deals with selling your house, not a Lawyer.

The two terms are pretty much interchangeable - it's often you who attempts to impart knowledge derived from wiki - looks like you missed the boat on this one.

Fact is, most of the conveyancing process is underwritten by Paralegals and then signed off by a Solicitor/Lawyer - so we're both wrong.X)

PS: I'd wager you've never been involved in a sole purchase in your short life - which makes this even funnier.
Edited by: "moob" 2nd Aug 2011
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants