Considering a new phone

Posted 13th Sep
Probably one for @MrSwitch I do know a lot about phones so don't need an education more just looking for info on phones that are coming soon and might be worth holding out for.
My contract for nokia 8 is up in Nov and considering upgrading. Nothing is catching my eye at the moment but want to know whether there is something good just around the corner that would be worth getting so I don't tie into a 12m simo.
I also have a mate 10 pro so in terms of what I'm looking for it would be flagship spec.
Last time I was in a phone shop (a few months back!) The p30 looked appealing but I have quite an ambitious budget before I'll bite given that I technically don't need an upgrade and performance is unlikely to be hugely better than what I already have.
From a quick Google I can see Asus Rog 2 is coming out soon. I remember being hyped about the 1 but seemed quite hard to get in the UK? I'm guessing it'll be the same with the 2. Also there seems no option of getting it on contract so I'd have to buy it outright with a simo to go along with it. Would love to hear how the Rog 1 was in terms of actual use. Design looks great but I had a Asus ZenFone at one point and battery was awful.
Wouldn't mind a pixel but seem overpriced tbh.Would be open to something from Xiaomi (flagship processor) but again how easy is it to find these on a contract?
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
All of the phones you've mentioned, basically bar the pixel, you won't get on contract.

The mi 9t pro may reduce by then £399 tomorrow, and the mi mix 4 will be out in a few weeks time, again not immediately on contract though.

I have my eye on the rog 2 and the vivo NEX 3, but they requite a Chinese ebay seller, or grey import.

The Nokia 8 2 should be soon as well, then the mate 30 series (which will not have Google support)

The pixel 3 will drop on the 4 announcement, even look at the zte axon 10 pro? Very cheap on amazon Germany, snappy 855 etc.
MrSwitch13/09/2019 09:51

All of the phones you've mentioned, basically bar the pixel, you won't get …All of the phones you've mentioned, basically bar the pixel, you won't get on contract.The mi 9t pro may reduce by then £399 tomorrow, and the mi mix 4 will be out in a few weeks time, again not immediately on contract though.I have my eye on the rog 2 and the vivo NEX 3, but they requite a Chinese ebay seller, or grey import.The Nokia 8 2 should be soon as well, then the mate 30 series (which will not have Google support) The pixel 3 will drop on the 4 announcement, even look at the zte axon 10 pro? Very cheap on amazon Germany, snappy 855 etc.

Wait there is going to be a Nokia 8 2!? Nokia really need to change their naming series.
I'd be interested in an upcoming Nokia flagship.
little_green13/09/2019 10:31

Wait there is going to be a Nokia 8 2!? Nokia really need to change their …Wait there is going to be a Nokia 8 2!? Nokia really need to change their naming series. I'd be interested in an upcoming Nokia flagship.

May be called Nokia 10...who know with those lot
MrSwitch13/09/2019 10:33

May be called Nokia 10...who know with those lot

It's annoying that three do retail Xiaomi phones but don't seem to have the 9 or 9pro at all (unless it's on the way?)
Do any 3rd party retailers do Xiaomi devices on contracts?
Wouod also consider oppo but they don't seem to be that much cheaper than a well known brand.
When's the next one plus due?
Also is the latest processor the 855+ (or Kirin 980 for Huawei/honor)?
How much do you want to spend?
Are you living in 5G area?
little_green13/09/2019 10:37

It's annoying that three do retail Xiaomi phones but don't seem to have …It's annoying that three do retail Xiaomi phones but don't seem to have the 9 or 9pro at all (unless it's on the way?) Do any 3rd party retailers do Xiaomi devices on contracts? Wouod also consider oppo but they don't seem to be that much cheaper than a well known brand. When's the next one plus due? Also is the latest processor the 855+ (or Kirin 980 for Huawei/honor)?

CPW, three, and Vodafone do certain contract xiaomi.

The 9t pro, is on it's way to xiaomi uk, and amazon, but obviously not on contract.

The next oneplus is due in a few weeks, that will have the 855 or 855+, and the kirin 990 is due with the mate 30 series.
Cisco06060613/09/2019 11:20

How much do you want to spend?Are you living in 5G area?

I have no idea if I'm in a 5g area how do I check would probably be ok with 4g but assuming 24m contract is it better to get a 5g device?
Im ambitious. 30/month max and at least 10gb data.
MrSwitch13/09/2019 11:27

CPW, three, and Vodafone do certain contract xiaomi. The 9t pro, is on …CPW, three, and Vodafone do certain contract xiaomi. The 9t pro, is on it's way to xiaomi uk, and amazon, but obviously not on contract.The next oneplus is due in a few weeks, that will have the 855 or 855+, and the kirin 990 is due with the mate 30 series.

You mean obviously the Amazon won't offer contract or obviously the phone won't be offered on contract at all?
little_green13/09/2019 11:45

You mean obviously the Amazon won't offer contract or obviously the phone …You mean obviously the Amazon won't offer contract or obviously the phone won't be offered on contract at all?

Amazon won't offer as a contract
MrSwitch13/09/2019 11:27

CPW, three, and Vodafone do certain contract xiaomi. The 9t pro, is on …CPW, three, and Vodafone do certain contract xiaomi. The 9t pro, is on it's way to xiaomi uk, and amazon, but obviously not on contract.The next oneplus is due in a few weeks, that will have the 855 or 855+, and the kirin 990 is due with the mate 30 series.

Where can I get the 9t in white? It seems UK release it only black or blue .... Why!?
little_green13/09/2019 16:04

Where can I get the 9t in white? It seems UK release it only black or blue …Where can I get the 9t in white? It seems UK release it only black or blue .... Why!?

Not in the UK out it that way.
little_green13/09/2019 11:44

I have no idea if I'm in a 5g area how do I check would probably …I have no idea if I'm in a 5g area how do I check would probably be ok with 4g but assuming 24m contract is it better to get a 5g device? Im ambitious. 30/month max and at least 10gb data.

5G device is still expensive.

It is out of your budget.

Tariff with 10GB is about £10 a month.
Will you have cash to buy phone upfront? Or is contract phone the only option?

Finally, is there a really need of new phone?
Just to let you know Mi 9 64GB is on sale at£ 380 at ebuyer.
Consider Xiaomi phones great prices and awesome specs for the price, many deals in this site
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants