Consumer unit change, what is a fair price?

Found 29th Jan 2016
Hi im looking at having a new fuse box / and must have certificate etc. What is a fair price? Im in nottinghamshire area
Thanks
Community Updates
AskPrice Glitch
21 Comments
Ok thanks so 300 a fair price, was quoted 350 plus vat thought was alot
Any idea how many circuits you have?

10way Wylex consumer unit c/w main switch, 2 rcd's & 10 mcb's £79.99 @ Screwfix.

Your looking at minimum 4 hours labour, shouldn't be more than 8.

Edited by: "andynicol" 29th Jan 2016
sme24185

Ok thanks so 300 a fair price, was quoted 350 plus vat thought was alot

When they change the unit & test the circuits they have to also inspect & probably change the wiring in the sockets too. So the bigger the house or the older the wiring the more work needs to be done. Its classed as a new installation & everything needs to be done to the current regulations.

Your charge isnt far off at all.
Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 29th Jan 2016
YouDontWantToKnow

When they change the unit & test the circuits they have to also inspect & … When they change the unit & test the circuits they have to also inspect & probably change the wiring in the sockets too. So the bigger the house or the older the wiring the more work needs to be done. Its classed as a new installation & everything needs to be done to the current regulations.Your charge isnt far off at all.

Do current regulations state the wiring in the sockets needs changing?

Not just colour coded with new colours, sleeving etc?

Why just sockets and not everything?
how would you change wires in a house without trashing walls??
andynicol

Do current regulations state the wiring in the sockets needs changing?Not … Do current regulations state the wiring in the sockets needs changing?Not just colour coded with new colours, sleeving etc?Why just sockets and not everything?

If your changing the sleeving in sockets you have to disconnect the wires & then reconnect connect them.
Gillybean177

how would you change wires in a house without trashing walls??

In most cases you dont have to change the wires just test them to make sure there are no fault & up to spec.

Had mine done about 2 years ago, needed 17th edition, bought the unit from b and q for around £50 and meter tails for around £10, an electrician came and fitted it for £85 done a really good neat job. Shop around for best quote.
I dont no what we need the wiring must be 20yr old. But all seem to be good just the box. I believe i was told i need a box that trips sockets or just lights instead of everything if that makes sence
I would think around £250-300. The issue you will have is that when they change the unit they have to make sure that the whole circuits on the board all meet current regulation. I don't know where they get this idea to sleeve the wires to new colours as all you need to do is make sure there is a label on the box warning that the circuits have red and black wiring so must be correctly identified. Apart from that as long as the wiring is up to standard then it should be fine.
The only thing u need to look out for is the new units are a lot more sensitive to faults. So if you have a fault and it may pick up on the new unit. I had a similar issue a when installing a new unit.
andynicol

Do current regulations state the wiring in the sockets needs changing?Not … Do current regulations state the wiring in the sockets needs changing?Not just colour coded with new colours, sleeving etc?Why just sockets and not everything?

No current regs only require that a label is fitted to the consumer unit warning that the installation contains old wiring colours. Nothing stating that wires need to be sleeved in new colours.
Post #4 is mis-leading then..
Thanks everyone :-)
Make sure the new consumer unit that has been fitted is enclosed in a metal case to comply with amendment 3 of the wiring regs that have come into place in Jan 2016;

(https://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/News/Pages/17th-Edition-amendment-3-how-will-it-affect-you.aspx)

Oh and P.S, go MK;

screwfix.com/p/m…86g
ProPiers

Make sure the new consumer unit that has been fitted is enclosed in a … Make sure the new consumer unit that has been fitted is enclosed in a metal case to comply with amendment 3 of the wiring regs that have come into place in Jan 2016;(https://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/News/Pages/17th-Edition-amendment-3-how-will-it-affect-you.aspx)Oh and P.S, go MK;http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-sentry-16-module-10-way-metal-split-load-consumer-unit/2186g

Thanks
kash2013

No current regs only require that a label is fitted to the consumer unit … No current regs only require that a label is fitted to the consumer unit warning that the installation contains old wiring colours. Nothing stating that wires need to be sleeved in new colours.

I apologise for somewhat misleading the OP.

I was of the understanding that if earth wire was bare in the sockets which is quite common then part of the installation of a consumer unit meant you were obliged to lable (ie sleeve) the bare wire.
YouDontWantToKnow

I apologise for somewhat misleading the OP.I was of the understanding … I apologise for somewhat misleading the OP.I was of the understanding that if earth wire was bare in the sockets which is quite common then part of the installation of a consumer unit meant you were obliged to lable (ie sleeve) the bare wire.

Sorry I wasn't commenting on your post as it had no comment on colour sleeving, it was the one below which was incorrect.
Edited by: "kash2013" 30th Jan 2016
andynicol29th Jan 2016

Any idea how many circuits you have?10way Wylex consumer unit c/w main …Any idea how many circuits you have?10way Wylex consumer unit c/w main switch, 2 rcd's & 10 mcb's £79.99 @ Screwfix.Your looking at minimum 4 hours labour, shouldn't be more than 8.

one assumes you ride to work on a horse?
Dale.Gratton58 m ago

And you joined today to post that comment on a thread that's nearly 2 years old?
Dale.Gratton16 h, 6 m ago

Why would you make that assumption?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants