Contact Lenses for a first timer?

After eventually plucking up the courage to try contact lenses I've had a bit of a dodgy start.
The guy in the shop got them in first time no problem, but I couldn't get them out, tried loads of time but had to stop as I was busting up the blood vessels in my eyes and the bloke took them out for me.
They told me it was quite common and to come back next week, I really want them, but am a bit bottly now.
Anyone had similar experiences/advice?

32 Comments

when i first tried them years ago i mut have been back to the shop 4 or 5 times to try and put them in i just couldn't do it, the woman was a great help and i eventually did it, you'll get there in the end, just takes practice.

i wear them most days now and takes me seconds to put in

A mate of mine grew up being called 4eyes because he wore glasses, he also now wears contacts.

We now call him 2eyes.......good times are ahead for the op.!!!!!!!

Original Poster

I was pleasently surprised at how easy the guy put them in, but when I was handed over to someone else she seemed impatient and that got me on edge, so I ended up having to get the guy to take them out.
Really frustrating and I'm a bit nervous about my next appointment now....

OMG someone else put them in for you? When I got mine (daily disposables) they just told me how to do it - watched me do it, then let me go. Crikey - I'm not letting someone else do it to me!

yeah its just a learning curve i was the same took a cpl of hours in the shop before they would let me take them home

i wear them nearly everyday now

try with a lens in putting your finger lighlty over your eye and slowly moving it that way you can see how easy the lens moves the best way i find to take them out is just to flick it down and it will pop out off the bottom of your eye try not to pinch it - its really easy just give it time and if you are getting frustrated stop for a while then try again you'll get there

Original Poster

Thanks for the comments, I'm determined to give it another go, is it easier with daily disposables to get them out, the ones I tried were monthlys?

When I wore them, I found it easier to put them in and take them out whilst they were a bit dry, easier to grip then. You could maybe try a different brand as some are thinner than others. It is fiddly but you'll get the hang of it, good luck!

Dailys are more fiddly because they are thinner. Patience and practice are the tools.

I found it easy to take out than putting them in, but like most have said you will get used to it eventually, it now only takes seconds for me to put in and take out. I find, when taking out the lenses, making sure my finger tip is really dry and it comes out easier.

I've worn daily lenses for about a year now (not the same pair o'course!) and still occasionally struggle, usually I'm too bleary eyed n tired or in a rush.
my friend can put hers in on a moving bus...I need a mirror and a minute to concentrate,
I find it helps if you look up as you put them in, and I know it sounds basic but make sure you tilt your head and put the lens in from above. I spent so long poking myself in the eye from a parallel level and all it did was make the lens fold onto my finger!!
practice is the key!

never had an issue taking them out though..I just pinch my eyeball gently and slide my fingers together and the lens folds off.

...I tell a lie, I had an issue once, I spent half an hour trying to get them out, my right eye was red and bloodshot from all the poking, until I realised I wasn't wearing any to begin with

I lost one in the back of my eye on first visit they had to put some illuminous dye in there to locate it lol, give it a few go's you'll eventually discover you're own way of getting them in and out.

keep looking ahead, dont do the noob thing of looking away!

i cant wear them now as had laser eye surgery......i can still get them in but eyes dont like it as are sesniive. have fun with contacts...i used the fresh look colour blends!

Original Poster

MinstrelMan

I lost one in the back of my eye on first visit they had to put some … I lost one in the back of my eye on first visit they had to put some illuminous dye in there to locate it lol, give it a few go's you'll eventually discover you're own way of getting them in and out.

I got one stuck at the top of my eye under the eye lid, didn't even think it was there as my eyes were so sore by that point, guy did the same thing with the dye and whipped it out in a second.

I did tha tonce - trying desperately to get it out - when it was never there in the first place. I find pinching is the best way - just a light pinch with pinky and thumb, but then it doesn't matter if they crease - becasue they're dailies! Never tried the monthlys or the permanent ones - dailies are just too easy - no caring for them, or looking after them - just pull them out of the drawer, then shove them in the bin!

Original Poster

They can't actually go behind your eye...can they.....?????

oh yeah, if you get tired and rub your eye they usually get lost in there for a short while but you get used to it. you'll end up getting cocky like not being impressed that you have to take them out and get rid of them every night so you'll just leave them in for weeks at a time....

I find looking up best. Then pop the lense on to the white of your ete and slide up. I make sure I shake off excess saline or the lense sticks to my finger. As for getting them out, look in the mirror and you will see the edge of the lense, I just slide it down again and gently pinch it out.

Good luck with your next try

dont try and take them out after just eating a bag of salt and vinigar crisps.

Original Poster

My fingers seemed too big to actually 'pinch' the lens off?
Edited by: "cycleman" 14th Sep 2010

slide them out don't pinch you can rip the lens pinching

Original Poster

shedboy66

slide them out don't pinch you can rip the lens pinching

But if you slide them to the side how do you actually lift them off your eye?

Banned

Get disposable ones.

I have worn lenses for years now . The first attempt at boots put me off as he poked me in the eye and I felt really sick and dizzy. The guy ran out of the room not knowing what to do! Really put me off.. Tried again at a different optician a year later and I thought they would fall out so I wouldn't walk outside just in case lol. I wear them every day now and it's fine apart from if I fall asleep in them as they dry up in your eye. :-(

I have worn lenses for years now . The first attempt at boots put me off as he poked me in the eye and I felt really sick and dizzy. The guy ran out of the room not knowing what to do! Really put me off.. Tried again at a different optician a year later and I thought they would fall out so I wouldn't walk outside just in case lol. I wear them every day now and it's fine apart from if I fall asleep in them as they dry up in your eye. :-(

Original Poster

DLM

Get disposable ones.

I was originally going for disposable ones but because I've got astigmatism I have to have torric lenses and they cost £35 pm for disposables or £30 for 3 months of monthly ones.
Having said that I still think I might go for the disposable as it seems a lot less hassle.

I just bought mine online, no consultation, just whacked them in and squeezed them off at night.

It's hardly a tricky process.

pinkleponkle

I just bought mine online, no consultation, just whacked them in and … I just bought mine online, no consultation, just whacked them in and squeezed them off at night.It's hardly a tricky process.

Where'd you get them online? I've got my prescription for glasses - will it be the same for lenses? (I've not filled a lense prescription for AGES, as I don't wear them everyday)

daysoft

Yes I used a current glasses prescription, and they were spot on. No way was I paying for another prescription for contact lenses., I hate opticians on a par with dentists, the thieves. It was obvious to me if I know my left and right strength then it would carry over to a contact lense.
Edited by: "pinkleponkle" 14th Sep 2010

pinkleponkle

daysoftYes I used a current glasses prescription, and they were spot on. … daysoftYes I used a current glasses prescription, and they were spot on. No way was I paying for another prescription for contact lenses., I hate opticians on a par with dentists, the thieves. It was obvious to me if I know my left and right strength then it would carry over to a contact lense.

Another proper bargain. I'm readin gmy prescription for glasses - it says R -2.50 (SPH) -0.50 (CYL) 85.0 (AXIS) while for the left it just says -1.75 (SPH) Obviously I can order the lefty, what do I put in for the right... do I add them together? What does the 85 mean? TIA x

forget all the info other than the r = 2.50 and l = 1.75

Buy a box for a tenner and if they are fine then result, if not the what have you lost? a tenner

I had all the sphere cyl after mine and paniced a bit when you couldnt enter that but just thought screw it and took a chance. 2 years later and never looked back.

I use daysoft
they're great for the price!
they're a little thinner than the 1day acuvue I usually use, and after a long day sometimes they feel a bit dry n itchy but for a third of the price not a bad trade off!
I keep a box of acuvue for best tho

Banned

pinkleponkle

daysoftYes I used a current glasses prescription, and they were spot on. … daysoftYes I used a current glasses prescription, and they were spot on. No way was I paying for another prescription for contact lenses., I hate opticians on a par with dentists, the thieves. It was obvious to me if I know my left and right strength then it would carry over to a contact lense.

Daysoft lenses dry out to quick for me
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764002
    2. Ebid over Ebay33
    3. Any PS4 News Here29213597
    4. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…11

See more discussions