contaminated fuel

Found 25th Jul 2016
Recently fueled up my car at a local Texaco and then my car stopped working a few days later . The car has been in the garage since . They drained the fuel and it was contaminated diesel it was orange squash in colour and two different densitys the lower density was a creamy orange and all of the fuel had black specs in it .
I have since found out I'm the 4th car in the area.
I just wasn't to know as a consumer what rights do I have and how can I claim my costs back .

I have been in touch with Texaco and told
get in touch with the garage in question . I have done this by phone but to no joy . That pump at the garage has since been closed up .

I tried calling trading standards but I was passed through to Warwickshire citizens advise who have said they will forward it on and to write a recorded letter to the garage . Has any one else got a direct number for trading standards and how would you address this .

The garage in question is abbey green Texaco Nuneaton so steer clear .
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
You need good legal advice and most solicitors do a free surgery so that's where I would start
Gather as much information as you can, including receipts, reports, pictures ect.. File everything and write a formal letter to the garage explaining the situation and requesting that they pay x amount for the damage. State that they have 7 days to pay and failure to do so would result in you taking legal action against them.

If they don't want to pay then I believe your only choice would be to take legal action.
Edited by: "joshp" 25th Jul 2016
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice would you suggest putting a story in the local paper to raise awareness and sort of boycot that station
Another option....not sure if any good but I would also contact HRMC and let them know of the situation with the garage selling contaminated to fuel

Hope you get this sorted
Original Poster
Me too my injectors have gone fuel pump just a complete nightmare
theman1990

Thanks for the advice would you suggest putting a story in the local … Thanks for the advice would you suggest putting a story in the local paper to raise awareness and sort of boycot that station

Can you go back to garage with a petrol can and buy a gallon of petrol from pump you filled up with before? Then get that checked out just to make sure it's coming from the garage pumps.
Original Poster
patti

Can you go back to garage with a petrol can and buy a gallon of petrol … Can you go back to garage with a petrol can and buy a gallon of petrol from pump you filled up with before? Then get that checked out just to make sure it's coming from the garage pumps.

That pump has since been closed off on the forecourt but I do have 2 1/2 gallon off the contaminated fuel sat in the garage
I love how squash is now an official shade of orange
I've had my fair share disputes with companies , the first thing any good lawyer will do is email and send a letter to the ceo of the company explaining what happened and what they will do to fix the situation.
The underground tanks at an asda near us flooded with rain water a few years ago. Dozens of drivers filled up their cars with contaminated fuel and not a single one was compensated.
Just saying.
Go back and photograph the closed off pump before its back in order again.
Copied story to another couple of Nuneaton sites to let others know.
Original Poster
googley2

Copied story to another couple of Nuneaton sites to let others know.

Thanks for that few friends have seen it on Facebook thank you I will get pictures
Original Poster
craigstephens

The underground tanks at an asda near us flooded with rain water a few … The underground tanks at an asda near us flooded with rain water a few years ago. Dozens of drivers filled up their cars with contaminated fuel and not a single one was compensated.Just saying.

What damage did the water cause to the car do you know mate
There is a hotline number for HRMC for issues such as this. I will post tomorrow and think they will also be able to help you further
Jumpingphil

You didn't bother reading the OP then?Especially the bit..... "That pump … You didn't bother reading the OP then?Especially the bit..... "That pump at the garage has since been closed up ."

Sorry didn't read that bit.
03000 200 3700 this is the number you need to contact and ask for the case to be referred to the local RFTU (road fuel testing unit)

Hope this gets sorted for you as I'd be going ballistic if this happened to me
Facebook page has quite a few other people with similar stories from same garage. Apparently the owner is not a friendly person to approach. Maybe contact them or Warwickshire Trading Standards and see if you can get together for a group action - he wont be so quick to ignore everyone then and contact Texaco head office with the complaint.
and don't settle for cheap compensation
consider all repairs, future faults,car towing, loss of earning for not being able to go to work etc
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants