contents insurance whos the best?

Found 26th Mar
Hi guys

looking for cheap contents insurance with no excess whos the best? and cheapest?
Community Updates
Ask
33 Comments
two different things cheap and best will have to decide which one you want
get quotes from a comparison website and you're sorted.
Speaking from experience, if you go for cheapest and have to claim, expect resistance, questioning and veiled accusations that you are making a false claim. Then when you do get an agreement, they will offer shop vouchers or a like-for-like replacement that they will supply. Eventually, you may get a cheque, but the whole process leaves a bad taste. I found that LV were not like this.
I claimed with Tesco and was straightforward and had the money within about 2 weeks.

Sample of 1 though I'm afraid.
The best I have used is Hiscox. Not the cheapest though. I think you should investigate the impact no excess has on any given policy. Personally speaking I won't bother claiming if the claim is too small as it has in impact on your renewal price wherever you choose to go.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 26th Mar
Im with aviva through my landlord.
costs me £2.01 a week upto £45,000 including accidental damage. Ive claimed 3 times. Ipad and 2 iphones. All 3 legitamite claims. They came out. Checked the phone was in condition i had stated on the form, checked the quote i had to replace/repair it and paid out in full.
airbus3301 h, 24 m ago

Speaking from experience, if you go for cheapest and have to claim, expect …Speaking from experience, if you go for cheapest and have to claim, expect resistance, questioning and veiled accusations that you are making a false claim. Then when you do get an agreement, they will offer shop vouchers or a like-for-like replacement that they will supply. Eventually, you may get a cheque, but the whole process leaves a bad taste. I found that LV were not like this.

Sorry could you repeat that?
machomansavage31 m ago

Sorry could you repeat that?

Why repeat it ?

Just read it twice

adamspencer953 h, 28 m ago

I claimed with Tesco and was straightforward and had the money within …I claimed with Tesco and was straightforward and had the money within about 2 weeks.Sample of 1 though I'm afraid.

Had the money? Do al of them off money or replacement then? Thanks
Darzen1 h, 46 m ago

Why repeat it ?Just read it twice

Sounds as though I'm being excused of it being "scam" the "veiled accusations that you're making a false claim" part
machomansavage15 m ago

Had the money? Do al of them off money or replacement then? Thanks

usually give you the choice - i preferred the money
adamspencer952 m ago

usually give you the choice - i preferred the money

Thanks Adam what do I look out for on the t&cs to see if they offer the money?
machomansavage2 h, 23 m ago

Sounds as though I'm being excused of it being "scam" the "veiled …Sounds as though I'm being excused of it being "scam" the "veiled accusations that you're making a false claim" part

No, you've read it wrong. Some insurance companies go out of their way to make you feel that you are trying to scam them. No accusation intended to you.
airbus3307 m ago

No, you've read it wrong. Some insurance companies go out of their way to …No, you've read it wrong. Some insurance companies go out of their way to make you feel that you are trying to scam them. No accusation intended to you.

Sorry buddy I completely misread that. How do you mean? Have they ever made you feel like that?
Caroline_19936 h, 31 m ago

Im with aviva through my landlord. costs me £2.01 a week upto £45,000 i …Im with aviva through my landlord. costs me £2.01 a week upto £45,000 including accidental damage. Ive claimed 3 times. Ipad and 2 iphones. All 3 legitamite claims. They came out. Checked the phone was in condition i had stated on the form, checked the quote i had to replace/repair it and paid out in full.

Thanks for reply. Bet your premium is now very high after claiming for three items isn't it?
machomansavage1 h, 22 m ago

Thanks for reply. Bet your premium is now very high after claiming for …Thanks for reply. Bet your premium is now very high after claiming for three items isn't it?

No
machomansavage6 h, 10 m ago

Thanks for reply. Bet your premium is now very high after claiming for …Thanks for reply. Bet your premium is now very high after claiming for three items isn't it?

I've claimed four times from Sheila's wheels yet my premium is the lowest it has ever been (£120 for 500k buildings, 60k contents and home emergency cover)
Caroline_19937 h, 36 m ago

No

How? No matter who you're with if you've made claims the following year your premium always goes up
machomansavage10 h, 22 m ago

Sorry buddy I completely misread that. How do you mean? Have they ever …Sorry buddy I completely misread that. How do you mean? Have they ever made you feel like that?

Yes they have. A few years ago our house was struck by lightning while we were away on holiday. Blew a couple of light switches off the walls. All our appliances were unplugged while we were away, except for the broadband telephone connection to the router which was hard wired to a laptop. The laptop cpu was fried. We made a claim for the laptop and there was no doubt that the insurer felt we were making a fraudulent claim. In the end I had the laptop independently examined and the claim was honored, but it took 3 months to sort out, after which they offered to supply a replacement instead of cash. Took another month before they paid up. Opposite end of the spectrum, we had storm damage to our roof solar panels 4 years ago, phoned LV, they said just get it fixed and send us the bill which was settled by return.
Neither claim resulted in any noticable rise in premium the following year.
machomansavage28 m ago

How? No matter who you're with if you've made claims the following year …How? No matter who you're with if you've made claims the following year your premium always goes up

Well mine havnt. My price has always been the same. Ive had it nearly 5 years.
As long as your cover is sufficient, you should never have a problem with claiming etc. so make sure whatever company you do decide to go with just make sure that you can comply with the terms
Caroline_19933 h, 9 m ago

Well mine havnt. My price has always been the same. Ive had it nearly 5 …Well mine havnt. My price has always been the same. Ive had it nearly 5 years.

Wow! That's awesome who r u with again!?
machomansavage6 h, 39 m ago

How? No matter who you're with if you've made claims the following year …How? No matter who you're with if you've made claims the following year your premium always goes up

Wrong
chocci29 m ago

Wrong

Think you might want to look into that. How else do insurances make money? if you crashed your car the premium would go up. think its you thats ''Wrong''
machomansavage38 m ago

Think you might want to look into that. How else do insurances make money? …Think you might want to look into that. How else do insurances make money? if you crashed your car the premium would go up. think its you thats ''Wrong''

oh ok, you must be right and me, @Caroline_1993 and @airbus330 are making it up

car insurance is completely irrelevant to this thread
Edited by: "chocci" 27th Mar
machomansavage56 m ago

Think you might want to look into that. How else do insurances make money? …Think you might want to look into that. How else do insurances make money? if you crashed your car the premium would go up. think its you thats ''Wrong''

Insurance companies largely make money on the back of the general laziness of the general public to shop around. Just had my renewal quote for the house. £234 last year (less 60 tcb) £287 this year. Its on auto renew, so many will not even do a quick run of the numbers through Moneysupermarket. As it happens, I did, and new policy £153 (inc £50 tcb). I think it is reasonable to expect your car premiums to go up if you claim, but house insurance doesn't seem to operate the same. Perhaps someone who has made a massive claim, say for a fire, would like to comment?
airbus33021 m ago

Insurance companies largely make money on the back of the general laziness …Insurance companies largely make money on the back of the general laziness of the general public to shop around. Just had my renewal quote for the house. £234 last year (less 60 tcb) £287 this year. Its on auto renew, so many will not even do a quick run of the numbers through Moneysupermarket. As it happens, I did, and new policy £153 (inc £50 tcb). I think it is reasonable to expect your car premiums to go up if you claim, but house insurance doesn't seem to operate the same. Perhaps someone who has made a massive claim, say for a fire, would like to comment?

Thanks for reply so to compare tv insurance where would i go? also would this be classed as appliance, contents or gadget insurance? thanks in advanced
machomansavage1 h, 57 m ago

Thanks for reply so to compare tv insurance where would i go? also would …Thanks for reply so to compare tv insurance where would i go? also would this be classed as appliance, contents or gadget insurance? thanks in advanced

TV's are covered by House Contents insurance. Just do a contents only quote on Comparethemarket or similar.
airbus33033 m ago

TV's are covered by House Contents insurance. Just do a contents only …TV's are covered by House Contents insurance. Just do a contents only quote on Comparethemarket or similar.

Thank you so much some sites list this as gadget insurance or appliance insurance it's confusing lol
airbus33027th Mar

TV's are covered by House Contents insurance. Just do a contents only …TV's are covered by House Contents insurance. Just do a contents only quote on Comparethemarket or similar.

Sorry how do u know if they cover accidental damage then?
machomansavage8 m ago

Sorry how do u know if they cover accidental damage then?

Accidental damage is usually an add-on extra to a Contents Policy to cover your own Negligence, so if the kids pour a pint of Coca Cola down the back of your new Panasonic 60" then you are covered. If you don't specify the Accidental Damage you will only be covered if the item is stolen or some other catastrophe, such as a fire, occurs. It will make the Premium more expensive.

Have a read of this:
moneysavingexpert.com/ins…nce
Edited by: "airbus330" 27th Mar
airbus3308 h, 36 m ago

Accidental damage is usually an add-on extra to a Contents Policy to cover …Accidental damage is usually an add-on extra to a Contents Policy to cover your own Negligence, so if the kids pour a pint of Coca Cola down the back of your new Panasonic 60" then you are covered. If you don't specify the Accidental Damage you will only be covered if the item is stolen or some other catastrophe, such as a fire, occurs. It will make the Premium more expensive.Have a read of this:https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/home-insurance

Thanks. D&G were trying to charge me £11 something for a year second year free for just covering the television and that included accidental damage. Just had a look at your site U sent, and wow very good!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants