Expired

Contract phone, payg SIM card.

Found 12th Jun
Im asking on behalf of my mum.

She was wondering if she bought a brand new phone (with O2) on contract, meaning the upfront cost wouldn't be much at all and she would pay more monthly, what would happen if she put her current payG o2 SIM card into the new o2 contract phone? Could she get in trouble for this?
Thankyou.
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
It will work unless the phone is locked to the contract number.
AW007921 m ago

AW007921 m ago

Thank you. So she wouldn't get into any kind of trouble for this?
paige.mccormack57 m ago

Thank you. So she wouldn't get into any kind of trouble for this?

No.
no problem at all. i have bought phones before like this where i give the sim plan to my mum to use but i keep the phone and use my own sim.

i have never heard of a phone being locked to a contract number, only to a network. she can also get o2 to unlock the phone for free. i have done this in the past as it works out cheaper than buying an unlocked phone.

o2.co.uk/hel…ork
No "trouble" from o2. Seems an unusual situation though as the contract allowances are tied to the SIM, not the handset, so the contract holder will be paying for minutes/txt/data tied to the contract SIM that will not be used (unless the contract SIM is placed in another o2/unlocked handset) and then additionally paying for PAYG usage in the contract handset.
Is the real requirement to use the contract allowances with the PAYG number? If so, port out the PAYG number to another network, then port it in to the new o2 contract. Or optionally ask o2 if they can move the PAYG number to the contract to replace the contract number - not sure if o2 can directly achieve this, other than by port-out + port-in.
O2 are not a cheap place for phones.

We have lived like this (own the phone and monthly SIM) for years on Plusnet tariffs. Currently £5 for 3.5gb, 5000 mins, unltd texts

Both have 1 year old unlocked (works on any network) Moto Gs bought when they were deals somewhere online
Edited by: "ccnp" 12th Jun
You can use whatever sim you like.

I'm on a contract with O2 and have unlocked the phone for free (02 does it for free on contracts) so I can put any sim in it.

As long as you pay the contract they won't care about anything else.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions