Contract Termination Letter Template Estate Agent (Rental)

Found 13th Oct 2017
Hi All,

Was hoping someone here may have a template letter to with authority to send off to an Estate Agent to terminate contract for my property which they manage, reason why i want to cancel this is they have continuously deposited money into my account late and i have noticed that they have changed company name i am getting worried they are planning to collect funds and liquidate very soon.

Help would be much appreciated

Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
Something along the lines of this by MSE
Toptrumpet46 m ago

Something along the lines of this by MSE

Thats great thank you, Im trying to find one which also threatens them of their behaviour, i guess i can add that in and use that as my court evidence if required.
Just send them a letter stating that you wish to terminate the contract attached in accordance with its terms and conditions, include a copy of the contract.

You don't need anything fancy. Just written notice. You don't have to threaten anyone.
Op, just read your question again, can you clarify so that we can help you further.
1. Are you the landlord who wants to terminate the agreement with the estate agent/managing agent. If so,
Do you intend to keep the tenant but manage it yourself or get another managing agent?
Toptrumpet2 h, 38 m ago

Op, just read your question again, can you clarify so that we can help you …Op, just read your question again, can you clarify so that we can help you further.1. Are you the landlord who wants to terminate the agreement with the estate agent/managing agent. If so, Do you intend to keep the tenant but manage it yourself or get another managing agent?

I am the Landlord and wish to terminate the contract to remove the agent managing and their tenants living at my place, so i can move onto a more reputable agent.
These guys are proper scumbags, 3rd payment overdue by 12 days to me first 2 were 18 days late.
abdi123464 h, 16 m ago

I am the Landlord and wish to terminate the contract to remove the agent …I am the Landlord and wish to terminate the contract to remove the agent managing and their tenants living at my place, so i can move onto a more reputable agent.

the tenants are yours, not the estate agents's unless you had a contract where they rented your property from you and guaranteed you rent.

are you sure that it is not the tenants not paying the rent on time and so the agent can not pass it on until they have received the money from the tenants?

if you want to terminate a contract, you must do so in accordance with its terms & conditions.
Now you've told us that you also want to give 'notice to quit' to your current tenants this isn't as simple as it might appear. You might have to serve a section 21 notice on the tenants depending the length of time they've been there and what type of tenancy they have.
Rather than tackling this alone, I havea suggestion:
Find another Managing Agent that you feel you could work with and promise them your business on the proviso that they prepare the necessary letters for you to deliver to the current managing agents and the correct notices to serve by hand to the tenants.
If the tenants refuse to vacate on the specified date then you'll hopefully be closer to starting any eviction process having done the correct paperwork beforehand.
The problem is that the law is really on the Tenants side, so you need to have proper help in need for all eventualities.
mutley16 h, 3 m ago

the tenants are yours, not the estate agents's unless you had a contract …the tenants are yours, not the estate agents's unless you had a contract where they rented your property from you and guaranteed you rent.are you sure that it is not the tenants not paying the rent on time and so the agent can not pass it on until they have received the money from the tenants?if you want to terminate a contract, you must do so in accordance with its terms & conditions.

Its guaranteed rent per month but for the last 3 months every payment they the agent has been having “cash flow” issue apparently, its either we have made payment and still waiting for funds to clear or the accounts payment guy has authorisation to check if payments have been made they call Centre cannot help, all it is excuse after excuse.
Thank you very much for the advice, i really feel like punishing the agent tenants are really good i visot the property every other week and are en extremely nice bunch, i am talking to a reputable agent in london to try take over without hassling the tenants as they have a new born in the house and do not wish to cause them stress for my headache but i am really angry . But many thanks for the info.
abdi1234612 m ago

Its guaranteed rent per month but for the last 3 months every payment they …Its guaranteed rent per month but for the last 3 months every payment they the agent has been having “cash flow” issue apparently, its either we have made payment and still waiting for funds to clear or the accounts payment guy has authorisation to check if payments have been made they call Centre cannot help, all it is excuse after excuse.

You are in a difficult position as taking on agents will not be easy. Unless the contract states that rent must be paid to you on a certain date, they have not broken any agreement. What does the contract states on how you can cancel the agreement? How much time is left on the contract? If the tenants are the agent's tenants, you won't be able to keep them and it may be complicated to evict them as they are not your tenants.

you may have to employ a solicitor for this
Especially now there is a new born in the house.
If the tenants ignore your 'notice to quit' and apply to the council for housing the standard line from the council will be to sit tight and stay in the house, wait for any eviction notices, ignore them and wait for the bailiffs and then contact them for emergency housing as they stand on the pavement outside.
This of course is the worst scenario, but could take 6 months or more to finally get your house back.
At this point you really need to make a decision to go forward with a plan
1. Sack the current managing agent and keep current tenants (just need to employ new managing company)
2. Sack the current managing agent and give notice to quit to current tenants (possibility of needing eviction)
3. Employ new managing agent and find new tenants
4. Manage the property yourself and find new tenants via a letting agency.

if you're going round there every other week (not sure why you'd need to if they're keeping the house in good order) why do you need a managing agent.
if you're only using the service of a managing agent for their guarantee of rent, you do know that you can just use them to find the tenant and pay separately (around £200 for rent guarantee)
If you do go for new tenants, next time tell the letting agent no pets, no children. It may seem harsh but once children are involved eviction is a different ball game.
I think at this point just changing the managing agent and keeping the tenants would be the best route.
Toptrumpet21 m ago

I think at this point just changing the managing agent and keeping the …I think at this point just changing the managing agent and keeping the tenants would be the best route.

keep the tenants as they sound good people and manage the property himself as there is no need to get agents to manage the property unless the OP lives hundreds of miles from the property, which is not the case here.

my worry about appointing another managing agent to get rid of the existing managing agent is that all agents are untrustworthy, especially in the rental sector, so the OP should be careful with what the new agent promises. in my experience, they will lie and mislead to get you to sign up with them, then the headache begins. they antagonise the tenants, withhold rent, charge extortionate fees to the landlord. really a bad idea to use them unless absolutely necessary.
Op, do you really need a managing agent?
what service do they provide that you couldn't do yourself
To be honest i am first call for all issues in the property i pay the agent a tiny fee per month thats only because they introduced the tenants. I go to the property only to check for wall damages and cleanliness last lot were a group of students who destroyed the property walls and caused mould issues as they never opened windows and now i just go just to show authority keeps them on the edge.

I believe i dont need agent anymore as i am near the only reason i was using agents as they did all the paperwork contracts and background checks(students) and holding deposit. I guess now as long as its not students i may be able to rent it out myself. Gumtree unfortunately does not have the best tenants.
Most legitimate Letting Agents will do a fixed one off fee for finding tenants and preparing the tenancy agreement. They will also prepare an inventory of the property which will be a thorough report on the condition of the property and contain photos, which the tenants must sign to agree the current cndition of the property when they are given the keys.
Not sure how much they charge but you'll have to research into that. (I paid around £1200 on a property with rental income of £1350 per month). The agent will hold the deposit in their tenancy deposit scheme which again you'll have to pay for.
After that you'll have no further contact with the agent and the tenant will contact you if any problems arise.
There is no need for you to visit the property, in fact this might aggravate the tenants, you have entrusted them with the keys and they have signed a legal document stating they will not damage the property in any way, if however after 6 months you could arrange a visit for your own peace of mind. They'll want to feel that the house is theirs and you knocking every couple of weeks will undermine this.
At the end of the tenancy you and the tenant should go round together with the original inventory and check everything together. If then there is a problem, it's up to you to allow the release of their full deposit or go to the independent ombudsman.
P.S. Don't ever get tenants off Gumtree. Get them via an agent who can do proper background and finance checks.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants