Control BT YouView box from another room? Magic Eye?!

24 replies
Found 9th Nov 2016
Evening all, hit a bit of a problem with my new BT YouView Ultra HD box....

I have all of my boxes (Sky, Xbox, Apple TV, android box, router) in the cupboard under the stairs, directly behind the TV wall in my living room.

Presently, with my Sky + box, I have a magic eye decide which basically has a cable running from the box, through the wall and just behind the TV which is mostly invisible to the naked eye and allows me to use the remote even though the box is in the other room.

My naive mind thought I would just unplug the cable from the Sky + box and plug it into the BT YouView box..... but it doesn't have the same port available.

Has anyone found a solution for this?

Any tech geniuses fancy helping me out???

24 Comments

Technically you just need the remote to reach the front of the box. I can see multiple ways of doing this. The cheapest being a cheap digi sender from eBay. You don't need the picture to be sent, just the i-r so you should be able to pick up an old scart one for peanuts. Or you could invest in a harmony remote which is dearer but gives the advantage of combining your existing remotes. It works by having a harmony unit behind the wall and the remote communicates without needing line of sight and the unit converts the signal to i-r and spits it out behind the wall. This also means less visible wires but is much more pricey.

Something like this linky

Original Poster

tommyleinen

Technically you just need the remote to reach the front of the box. I can … Technically you just need the remote to reach the front of the box. I can see multiple ways of doing this. The cheapest being a cheap digi sender from eBay. You don't need the picture to be sent, just the i-r so you should be able to pick up an old scart one for peanuts. Or you could invest in a harmony remote which is dearer but gives the advantage of combining your existing remotes. It works by having a harmony unit behind the wall and the remote communicates without needing line of sight and the unit converts the signal to i-r and spits it out behind the wall. This also means less visible wires but is much more pricey.

Thanks mate. I can see the functionality behind both of them.

I still have in of those AV receiver things where you could replicate your Sky from the living room into a bedroom (for example), so appreciate the idea.

I do like the idea of the harmony remote though, seen a few people on here talking about them, not 100% sure how that would work though, so the base unit basically faces the boxes and then communicates with the remote itself when I click it?

Ebay item 321964874951

Another way of putting it is to search for RF remote repeater (or extender)
Thinking the ebay item may not be long enough for yourself so another alt below from Amazon but way more expensive.
amazon.co.uk/Mar…der

Original Poster

cecilmcroberts

Ebay item 321964874951Another way of putting it is to search for RF … Ebay item 321964874951Another way of putting it is to search for RF remote repeater (or extender)Thinking the ebay item may not be long enough for yourself so another alt below from Amazon but way more expensive. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marmitek-Powermid-300-XTRA-wireless/dp/B00D94L9ZY/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1478738959&sr=8-8&keywords=wireless+remote+control+extender

Thanks for the suggestions mate.

The first one might actually be fine, here's my thinking...

The TV is on this wall:
http://i.imgur.com/UsFqd4a.jpg

The boxes are immediately behind the TV only separated by two panels of plasterboard and a bit of cavity!

The wireless one wouldn't work, as it being visible would ruin the object of it being wall mounted and stashed away in the current manner.

I'm not sure the BT YouView box has a usb port though, so not 100% sure if that is the solution, as simple as it looks.

Original Poster

Any other tech wizards out there with any input?

JusticeForThe96

Thanks for the suggestions mate.The first one might actually be fine, … Thanks for the suggestions mate.The first one might actually be fine, here's my thinking...The TV is on this wall:[img][/img]The boxes are immediately behind the TV only separated by two panels of plasterboard and a bit of cavity!The wireless one wouldn't work, as it being visible would ruin the object of it being wall mounted and stashed away in the current manner.I'm not sure the BT YouView box has a usb port though, so not 100% sure if that is the solution, as simple as it looks.

Youview spec says all boxes must have at least 2 usb ports.

Original Poster

That's good to know mate, thank you!

Looks like one of these cheap cables will solve the problem for me then.

JusticeForThe96

That's good to know mate, thank you!Looks like one of these cheap cables … That's good to know mate, thank you!Looks like one of these cheap cables will solve the problem for me then.

If not the USB is only for power and they don't use much so you could hook up to a powerbank also.

Original Poster

cecilmcroberts

If not the USB is only for power and they don't use much so you could … If not the USB is only for power and they don't use much so you could hook up to a powerbank also.

A powerbank?

Like one of the things you charge your mobile with?!

Original Poster

Hi folks, sorry reignite this one, but i've just round to trying out the IR extender thing. This one....
http://i.imgur.com/cWH8g6M.jpg

Basically, it connects via a usb port in the back or the side of the BT YouView box, the LED comes on as in it's powered, but nothing happens. No instructions with it from eBay but it seems straight forward enough, just not happening for me.

Anyone got any cost effective ideas to help out?

Original Poster

Anybody?

JusticeForThe96

Anybody?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Infrared-Remote-Control-Receiver-Emitter-USB-Adapter-IR-Extender-Repeater/1386394109

Just looking at this as the IR sensor on my Youview box seems to be very dead/intermittent.

JusticeForThe96

Hi folks, sorry reignite this one, but i've just round to trying out the … Hi folks, sorry reignite this one, but i've just round to trying out the IR extender thing. This one....Basically, it connects via a usb port in the back or the side of the BT YouView box, the LED comes on as in it's powered, but nothing happens. No instructions with it from eBay but it seems straight forward enough, just not happening for me.Anyone got any cost effective ideas to help out?

Hmmm, doesn't look good for me; seems that the big part has to be attached to the IR receiver on the Youview box and the other in the remote position. Signal gets sent down the cable and then to the IR receiver in the box. Are you sticking the big bit on the IR receiver of the box?

Original Poster

wpj

Hmmm, doesn't look good for me; seems that the big part has to be attached … Hmmm, doesn't look good for me; seems that the big part has to be attached to the IR receiver on the Youview box and the other in the remote position. Signal gets sent down the cable and then to the IR receiver in the box. Are you sticking the big bit on the IR receiver of the box?

I tried both ways mate, neither seemed to work!

Thinking of phoning BT for a solution, but really don't see a point having spoken to them before....

JusticeForThe96

I tried both ways mate, neither seemed to work!Thinking of phoning BT for … I tried both ways mate, neither seemed to work!Thinking of phoning BT for a solution, but really don't see a point having spoken to them before....

The comments on the link that I sent says that it works; have you got a duff one?

wpj

Hmmm, doesn't look good for me; seems that the big part has to be attached … Hmmm, doesn't look good for me; seems that the big part has to be attached to the IR receiver on the Youview box and the other in the remote position. Signal gets sent down the cable and then to the IR receiver in the box. Are you sticking the big bit on the IR receiver of the box?

otherway round - the small bit should be stuck onto the youview box with tape or similar directly in front of the remote reveiver window and teh big bit must be in line of sight of the remote - i.e stuck on top of the of the TV

EliTom

Original Poster

wpj

The comments on the link that I sent says that it works; have you got a … The comments on the link that I sent says that it works; have you got a duff one?

Potentially mate, although the led does come on to indicate that its powered via USB.

elitom

otherway round - the small bit should be stuck onto the youview box with … otherway round - the small bit should be stuck onto the youview box with tape or similar directly in front of the remote reveiver window and teh big bit must be in line of sight of the remote - i.e stuck on top of the of the TVEliTom

I did try it both ways mate, but I will give it another bash tonight and see what I can come up with!

elitom

otherway round - the small bit should be stuck onto the youview box with … otherway round - the small bit should be stuck onto the youview box with tape or similar directly in front of the remote reveiver window and teh big bit must be in line of sight of the remote - i.e stuck on top of the of the TVEliTom

Seems a bit silly that way as the USB part of the cable is much shorter and thicker; I was using logic instead of checking!

Original Poster

wpj

Seems a bit silly that way as the USB part of the cable is much shorter … Seems a bit silly that way as the USB part of the cable is much shorter and thicker; I was using logic instead of checking!

I thought the same to be honest mate, but i'm not gonna pretend i'm anything more than a novice!

JusticeForThe96

I thought the same to be honest mate, but i'm not gonna pretend i'm … I thought the same to be honest mate, but i'm not gonna pretend i'm anything more than a novice!

Yes, having 2 wires outside isn't too nice.

Looks like it's a new box for me as all options of resetting haven't worked.

Typical..... 4 days and it has decided to work!

Original Poster

wpj

Typical..... 4 days and it has decided to work!

Excellent news for you mate.

I didn't get a chance to try it again last night, will try again at the weekend!

JusticeForThe96

Excellent news for you mate.I didn't get a chance to try it again last … Excellent news for you mate.I didn't get a chance to try it again last night, will try again at the weekend!

Best of luck. No idea why it has suddenly decided to work; did nothing after software resets.To be honest, the TV threw a wobbly as well the day before and would not switch off. Left it unplugged overnight and it reset. Didn't work with the box, though!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition61645
    2. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines11
    3. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers33
    4. Chat magazine issue 4323

See more discussions