Expired

Converting amazon account balance to cash £150

Found 30th Dec 2014
I have £150 in my Amazon account and as there is nothing I really want I want to convert to cash. I was hoping to be able to convert into Amazon gift vouchers and then sell these however it doesn't appear that you can do this.

So what can I buy through Amazon and then sell easily giving me the nearest to my £150 back?

Thanks
Community Updates
9 Comments
Banned
Find a friend who wants something off amazon and give them a good price
Original Poster
CBEE2

Find a friend who wants something off amazon and give them a good price

Yes I thought about that but don't really want to bother them as friends are probably all spent out following Christmas. Thanks
Banned
People on here would probably be interested but then you have the added risk of being scammed. Only other thing I can think of is to post on gumtree and hope someone local replies.
Banned
Why cant you buy gift vouchers?
Banned
And sell them
Original Poster
ifrazalam

Why cant you buy gift vouchers?

I tried to buy some but it only shows card payment options. i.e you don't have the option to pay with your balance. I presume the reason for this is because Amazon already have your money locked in so there is no advantage to them to allow you to buy vouchers.
Original Poster
CBEE2

People on here would probably be interested but then you have the added … People on here would probably be interested but then you have the added risk of being scammed. Only other thing I can think of is to post on gumtree and hope someone local replies.

Considering this option but am wary of the scam element, chargebacks, "didn't receive item" etc Thanks
I would bear in mind that amazon vouchers have very long expiry dates - do you really think you won't spend £150 in amazon over the next 4/5 years?
Spending this money in amazon is probably the only way you are going to get a perfect £150 value from your account balance with the minimum hassle. Buying and selling requires you to take on problems of postage/delivery, as well as dealing with customers and the 10% cut that ebay or amazon will want to take on your sale if you use them.

That said, to answer your question more directly, I would aim to buy only one item if at all possible, since the hassle of selling increases for each item you buy and try to sell. I would try to find something which is currently on offer at amazon and is therefore at a discount, but which you think is likely to go back up in price after the sales are over in the next few weeks. Finally, something small to avoid bulky delivery costs. I would think something like computer memory (microSD card(s) or a hard drive) might fit the bill, or a cheap mobile phone (like the moto g 8gb). Then maybe sell the item on gumtree with cash on collection. That way you can hopefully avoid some of the issues (chargebacks, didn't receive, not as described etc).

To be honest, I would just avoid the hassle - even spending a tenner a month at amazon will spend the full amount in a year and a bit. I'd just treat it as money put aside for birthday/anniversary etc gifts and it would probably be spent much faster.
Original Poster
mishen

I would bear in mind that amazon vouchers have very long expiry dates - … I would bear in mind that amazon vouchers have very long expiry dates - do you really think you won't spend £150 in amazon over the next 4/5 years? Spending this money in amazon is probably the only way you are going to get a perfect £150 value from your account balance with the minimum hassle. Buying and selling requires you to take on problems of postage/delivery, as well as dealing with customers and the 10% cut that ebay or amazon will want to take on your sale if you use them.That said, to answer your question more directly, I would aim to buy only one item if at all possible, since the hassle of selling increases for each item you buy and try to sell. I would try to find something which is currently on offer at amazon and is therefore at a discount, but which you think is likely to go back up in price after the sales are over in the next few weeks. Finally, something small to avoid bulky delivery costs. I would think something like computer memory (microSD card(s) or a hard drive) might fit the bill, or a cheap mobile phone (like the moto g 8gb). Then maybe sell the item on gumtree with cash on collection. That way you can hopefully avoid some of the issues (chargebacks, didn't receive, not as described etc).To be honest, I would just avoid the hassle - even spending a tenner a month at amazon will spend the full amount in a year and a bit. I'd just treat it as money put aside for birthday/anniversary etc gifts and it would probably be spent much faster.

Thanks for thought you have put into your answer. I'll sit them for awhile and see.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants