Groups

Converting an Office 2007 doc (docx) into an older Office doc?

Hi all.

I have Office 2007 on my computer and made up an invitation for my MIL to email to friends and family - problem is that no-one could open it LOL!

I tried doing a screenshot to turn it into a .jpg file but it is too small to read properly like that so really need to convert the file into a .doc

I found a program on the web that I can pay for to do this but am wary so wondered if anyone can PLEASE help me!

Thank you

16 Comments

Office Button >> Save As >> Change "Save as type" to Word 97-2003 Document *.doc

Open the document in Word 2007, click save as under file and Under the file name click Save as Type and select .doc

Open it and save it again as "Compatability Mode" and will let you open it older versions of Word! :thumbsup:

wow 3 quick answer... I am not needed...

Original Poster

Oh my gosh, are you telling me it's that simple - if I had asked this a few days ago I could have saved myself 3 hours of useless labour :w00t:

Original Poster

Umm... how do I do 'save as' as opposed to 'save'? :oops:

click the big round button in the top left of the screen, 2 options there save and save as......

Original Poster

shizimu;5947496

click the big round button in the top left of the screen, 2 options there … click the big round button in the top left of the screen, 2 options there save and save as......

thank you!

Original Poster

Have left you all rep

Actually, you are possibly better off saving it as an RTF, most pc's can oopen those.

Banned

or get them to install the compatability pack from microsoft

ChipSticks;5947619

Actually, you are possibly better off saving it as an RTF, most pc's can … Actually, you are possibly better off saving it as an RTF, most pc's can oopen those.

Yep, definitely a better format for distribution if you don't know what word processing software the target PCs have.

John

Johnmcl7;5947727

Yep, definitely a better format for distribution if you don't know what … Yep, definitely a better format for distribution if you don't know what word processing software the target PCs have.John

dont they lose all the formatting if you change it to rtf?

Why not convert it to a PDF file?

Free and very easy to do (many PDF creators on the internet).

After all PDF stands for Portable Document Format and that is the whole idea, a format that ANYBODY can read (and also not change).

zish_uk;5947763

dont they lose all the formatting if you change it to rtf?

Nope, occasionally there may be variations in the formatting but generally the rtf version should be the same as the doc/docx version.

John

Banned

and a good time to change the save defaults for your office apps:-

To change default file save options in Office Excel 2007
    [LIST=1]
    [*]Double-click Microsoft Office Excel 2007, double-click Excel Options, and click Save.
    [*]In the right pane, right-click Save Excel files as, and select Properties.
    [*]In Save files in this format, select Enabled.
    [*]In the drop-down box, select a default file save format.
    [*]Click Apply to save the settings.[/LIST] To change default file save options in Office PowerPoint 2007
    [LIST=1]
    [*]Double-click Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007, double-click PowerPoint Options, and click Save.
    [*]In the right pane, right-click Save files in this format, and select Properties.
    [*]Click Apply to save the settings.[/LIST] To change default file save options in Office Word 2007
    [LIST=1]
    [*]Double-click Microsoft Office Word 2007, double-click Word Options, and click Save.
    [*]In the right pane, right-click Save files in this format, and select Properties.
    [*]Click Apply to save the settings.[/LIST]
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553770
      2. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?58
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767186
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826348

See more discussions