Groups

Converting AVCHD to Avi? WMV?

Hi all,

My dad recently took some video of my sons christening with his new sony camcorder. He kindly left me the SD card and the disc that came with the camcorder to be able to use the files, but... The install disc installs part of Sony PMB, but then asks for the device to be connected to install the rest (IE the bit that works with AVCHD files).

I've had a good rootle around on the internet trying to find a freebie to convert the files into something I can use, but haven't turned up anything that works. Avidemux got the closest, it seems to open the files with a couple of 'notes' (not quite errors) but then when you play it, its at half speed with choppy sound.

At the moment I can't even watch it as VLC player doesn't seem to like the files either (1 frozen picture with sound)

So, I'm after something:-

- That is free (or v cheap), this is a one off job to convert 13 files
    - That converts it to a format I can edit (trim, take clips from) in Windows movie maker (don't laugh, I very rarely use video files).
    - That can convert to a format I can upload to facebook for foreign realatives to see

Or do I just bite the bullet and send the SD card back to m'dad and ask him to process it for me?

As you might guess, my video knowledge is not great, so apologies in advance for any daft comments!

Thanks

EM

13 Comments

Am not a techie.. but I have used this before (FormatFactory) .. for converting films to play on my iPod. Might be of some use?

Linky

Good luck anyway.

try here

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/free-dvd-video-software-download.htm

not sure if anything on here is any good

id recommend handbrake or SUPER

Original Poster

yellowsticker

Am not a techie.. but I have used this before (FormatFactory) .. for … Am not a techie.. but I have used this before (FormatFactory) .. for converting films to play on my iPod. Might be of some use?LinkyGood luck anyway.

Hmm, nothing specific, but can only find web references to Format factory working with AVCHD Lite...

One reference to it not being able to handle avchd, but nothing conclusive...

Thanks though

Original Poster

splatsplatsplat

id recommend handbrake or SUPER

I tried Handbrake and it didn't like it at all, couldn't even open the AVCHD files.

Will take a look at Super and see what it can do,

Thanks!

Original Poster

griffgog

try … try herehttp://www.dvdvideosoft.com/free-dvd-video-software-download.htmnot sure if anything on here is any good

I might be searching for the wrong thing, but couldn't see a AVCHD convertor on that page.

Ta though!

AVCHD Converter, Best AVCHD Video Converter Free Download
    Embedded Link

It says it has a freedownload option so possible trialware - from the website...

AVCHD Video Converter is best AVCHD converter software supports convert AVCHD to AVI, AVCHD to WMV, AVCHD to MP4, AVCHD to MPEG, etc. most known video file formats. Support also burn AVCHD to DVD and watch it on your DVD Player.

The AVCHD converter enables you to enjoy high definition video on your PC, iPod, iPhone, PSP, Zen, PS3 (HD support), XBox (HD support), Archos, phones, DVD/MPEG-4 players (with DivX/Xvid support) and portable media playes.

Key Features of the AVCHD Video Converter

* Convert Video between Almost Any Formats: HD Video (inc. AVCHD, MPEG-2 HD and WMV HD), TOD, MOD, M2TS, AVI (DivX, Xvid, etc.), MP4 (inc. Sony PSP and Apple iPod), WMV, 3GP, QuickTime (MOV, QT), SWF, DVD, VOB, VRO, MPEG-1, 2, 4, H.263, H.264, Real Video, DVR-MS, MKV, FLV.
    * Manage Videos from HD-Cameras - Key HD-Formats are supported: AVCHD, MPEG-2 HD, WMV HD, TOD, MOD, M2TS, M2T, MTS, HDV. Edit, split, trim HD-videos, add text & effects and convert them to DVD or any other supported video format. Burn a DVD-disc and watch it on your DVD-Player.
    * Create Movie DVDs from video files of all supported formats. Use DVD menu templates. Split your movie into chapters. Watch them on your home DVD player.
    * Output Videos to Various Devices: iPod, iPhone, PSP, Zen, PS3 (HD support), XBox (HD support), Archos, phones, DVD/MPEG-4 players (with DivX/Xvid support) and portable media playes.
    * Straight from Disc to PC - Copy videos and home DVDs to hard drive.
    * Extract Soundtracks and Images from Movies - Save audio streams as audio files, save single frames as images.
    * Batch Mode Support - Convert several video files at once. Join several video files and make one DVD.

There's also a list of converters for that video type listed within Wikipedia.

AVCHD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Embeded Link

Original Poster

Scotty Boy

There's also a list of converters for that video type listed within … There's also a list of converters for that video type listed within Wikipedia.AVCHD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaEmbeded Link

Yeah, this is where I picked up that I could use Avidemux, but it didn't seem to like it (played at 1/2 speed with dodgy sound). It could always be that I used it wrong of course!

Evilmonkey

Yeah, this is where I picked up that I could use Avidemux, but it didn't … Yeah, this is where I picked up that I could use Avidemux, but it didn't seem to like it (played at 1/2 speed with dodgy sound). It could always be that I used it wrong of course!

No probs...it's probably because it's Saturday!

Have you tried out the AVCHD Video Converter that i posted a link to?

Original Poster

Scotty Boy

No probs...it's probably because it's Saturday! ;)Have you tried out the … No probs...it's probably because it's Saturday! ;)Have you tried out the AVCHD Video Converter that i posted a link to?

Not yet, I'd planned to download a bunch of them, 1 is bound to work!

Evilmonkey

Not yet, I'd planned to download a bunch of them, 1 is bound to work!

No probs and good luck!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Question for electrician on bathroom fan44
      2. Is it worth spending £20k on a car?1722
      3. Iphone 7 - What Case?613
      4. Beds55

See more discussions