Converting mountain bike

Posted 6th Mar
I currently own a careers vengeance (link below)

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-vengeance-mens-mountain-bike—black—xs-s-m-l-xl-frames-642059.html

The groupset is worn quite considerably and want to replace it. Would the following groupset fit or am I better off looking into a new bike all together? Seems cheaper doing it in parts as suppose to buying ready made bike

chainreactioncycles.com/sra…474

I also want to change to hydraulic brakes and a better fork at later stage too
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
I'd look to buy a new bike. generally cheaper.

that set is 12x1 rather than the 8x3 on the bike. so be sure the gear range is ok for you.

Cant see what bottom bracket (BB) is fitted to the bike but probably square so assume you need a new one - make sure you can get a suitable one and allow £30/£40 for it. Oh, and you may need a special tool to fit the bb.

Given that you want to swap out the brakes and fork as well I'd just look for deals on a new bike.
mas9906/03/2020 11:31

I'd look to buy a new bike. generally cheaper.that set is 12x1 rather …I'd look to buy a new bike. generally cheaper.that set is 12x1 rather than the 8x3 on the bike. so be sure the gear range is ok for you. Cant see what bottom bracket (BB) is fitted to the bike but probably square so assume you need a new one - make sure you can get a suitable one and allow £30/£40 for it. Oh, and you may need a special tool to fit the bb.Given that you want to swap out the brakes and fork as well I'd just look for deals on a new bike.

I kind of knew I’ll be needing a new bike , I really like the trek linked below but £1000 feels steep lol

blazingbikes.co.uk/ind…tml
Look for last season's bikes - they generally get sold off with a nice discount.
And if you find one you like check the specs against the latest version. I saved a hefty sum on a Trek that was last season's - all specs were exactly the same as this season's, the only difference was the colour of the bike.
mas9906/03/2020 13:39

how about …how about https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-procaliber-8-2019-mountain-bike-EV340643

You reckon that’s a big jump to the one I linked above?
D3LL80Y06/03/2020 14:14

You reckon that’s a big jump to the one I linked above?

Depends if the features that differ matter you. thinner tyres - better fork/brakes. frame is 'platinum' rather than 'gold' level whatever that means...
Trek isospeed - no idea how good that is.

Looks a higher spec bike (reduced from £1700) compared to the roscoe and is now £50 cheaper. Not listed on the trek site now so possible discountinued model hence the big price drop
mas9906/03/2020 14:54

Depends if the features that differ matter you. thinner tyres - better …Depends if the features that differ matter you. thinner tyres - better fork/brakes. frame is 'platinum' rather than 'gold' level whatever that means...Trek isospeed - no idea how good that is.Looks a higher spec bike (reduced from £1700) compared to the roscoe and is now £50 cheaper. Not listed on the trek site now so possible discountinued model hence the big price drop

Deciding on a bike is a tough one I’ll hold out for now I reckon. I’ll keep looking for discounts. Thanks though
My thoughts are echoed by my fellow posters.

Putting a new group set / fork and then hydraulic brakes on a carrera frame is a bit like garnishing a turd with diamonds. I think you have to have a very good frame to justify fork, GS and brake upgrades.

I'm curious about the group set that came as stock. How long has it lasted and how much do you use it?
mogsog06/03/2020 20:48

My thoughts are echoed by my fellow posters.Putting a new group set / fork …My thoughts are echoed by my fellow posters.Putting a new group set / fork and then hydraulic brakes on a carrera frame is a bit like garnishing a turd with diamonds. I think you have to have a very good frame to justify fork, GS and brake upgrades.I'm curious about the group set that came as stock. How long has it lasted and how much do you use it?

It’s the second one I’ve had, had the bike about 2 years... it’s used roughly 4 hours a week in total
D3LL80Y06/03/2020 20:54

It’s the second one I’ve had, had the bike about 2 years... it’s used rough …It’s the second one I’ve had, had the bike about 2 years... it’s used roughly 4 hours a week in total

Thanks for that, I'll feedback this to a friend who was considering one.
mogsog06/03/2020 20:55

Thanks for that, I'll feedback this to a friend who was considering one.

The components certainly aren’t the best. Best to pay more for sram drive train
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants