Conveyancing fee! What would be a typical price for this?

9 replies
Found 10th Jul
I'm wondering what a typical solicitor fee would be for conveyancing in this circumstance:-

Just I seem to have stupidly agreed to bear the full costs relating to the transfer of the names without realising it and without agreeing a price with the solicitor beforehand. (Solicitor was dealing with separation advice and when they said I need to instruct a Conveyancer, and that they had a Conveyancing department I thought it would be quicker and easier to use them for the whole thing). I've just received the bill, which is as follows:
Fees (£395+VAT) £474
plus telegraphic transfer x 2 £60
Chance repair indemnity insurance £15
Land Registry documents £9
Priority Search £3
Land Registration fee £30
Total £591

I really wasn't expecting this! Is this a fair/average/normal price?

9 Comments

Looks pretty cheap tbh
All the search's and pieces seem pretty standard and cost value then the large fee is a qualified person doing all the work.

Is there to be a new mortgage? Or is the mortgage being redeemed and the property will be own debt free by the one owner?

Original Poster

ericagradus

Is there to be a new mortgage? Or is the mortgage being redeemed and the … Is there to be a new mortgage? Or is the mortgage being redeemed and the property will be own debt free by the one owner?

Mortgage redeemed and property debt free by one owner

I paid £1,000 + vat. My husband paid even more than this.

yours sound very cheap

amanda.f

Mortgage redeemed and property debt free by one owner

In that case, quote could be significantly reduced if final owner confirmed no due diligence required. So no searches or reports on title etc. That way all that needs to be done is a redemption statement from lender and a tr1 form. To transfer property. The one form to register the property. Lender will redeem their charge electronically (automatically at land registration.)

If you are happy for funds to buy out other party to be BACs rather than TT you can remove that fee. Chancel indemnity should also be removed and you should only be paying £3 for office copy as plan and any documents will not be required if no. Due diligence required

Thays a good price go with them as most solicitors insist that you do the local searches every time you transfer a property, and there is no mention of any searches above

Original Poster

ericagradus

In that case, quote could be significantly reduced if final owner … In that case, quote could be significantly reduced if final owner confirmed no due diligence required. So no searches or reports on title etc. That way all that needs to be done is a redemption statement from lender and a tr1 form. To transfer property. The one form to register the property. Lender will redeem their charge electronically (automatically at land registration.)If you are happy for funds to buy out other party to be BACs rather than TT you can remove that fee. Chancel indemnity should also be removed and you should only be paying £3 for office copy as plan and any documents will not be required if no. Due diligence required

Thankyou so much, you obviously know about these things, much appreciated. I'm final owner.
I received a Stamp Duty Return form today, but upon checking with HMRC I think this is not required. I have very little faith in the Conveyancer, it's very worrying! I arranged for the redemption figures to be forwarded to them, so all I needed them to do was sort out the wording for the TR1 and that's all really. What would the normal fee be for this would you have an idea?

amanda.f

Thankyou so much, you obviously know about these things, much … Thankyou so much, you obviously know about these things, much appreciated. I'm final owner. I received a Stamp Duty Return form today, but upon checking with HMRC I think this is not required. I have very little faith in the Conveyancer, it's very worrying! I arranged for the redemption figures to be forwarded to them, so all I needed them to do was sort out the wording for the TR1 and that's all really. What would the normal fee be for this would you have an idea?

If there is consideration over £40k for the transfer, even if no SDLT is payable. A submission will still need to be made.

Original Poster

ericagradus

If there is consideration over £40k for the transfer, even if no SDLT is … If there is consideration over £40k for the transfer, even if no SDLT is payable. A submission will still need to be made.

Chargeable consideration is under £40k as far as I am aware. I brought it to the attention of the conveyancer, and they have agreed that something has gone wrong somewhere, I'm waiting for them to get back to me (since Tuesday) and the TR1 form is wrong too. Can they really charge me £591 for this? What would be a more realistic fee, would you have an idea?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Coming up to bonfire night ...2128
    2. word association Game74244893
    3. sweet Sundays codes need to be redeemed by 23.59 on the 19th of October56
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769294

See more discussions