Groups

COOKED MY HAM

OK spent the whole day cooking, will then freeze it so far less to do on Xmas day. Decided to do my ham, soaked overnight. Followed the usual 20 mins per kilo. Got it out of pan and totally fell apart......not happy.

Have cut it into sections, froze separate chunks. Not the ham I wanted to have to cut when required, from now to Xmas

Where did I go wrong???

24 Comments

I admire your hambition :thumbsup:

Banned

Where did I go wrong???

You are not Delia Smith or Nigella Lawson?

never heard of soaking it overnight...:?

Maybe it was hambushed :thumbsup:

get a probe and cook it till it reaches required temp
    best is to cook it for half hour in water then honey roast it

you sure it wasn't already pre soaked?

also how did you cook it?

jasonrat;7286873

get a probe and cook it till it reaches required tempbest is to cook it … get a probe and cook it till it reaches required tempbest is to cook it for half hour in water then honey roast it

hmmmmm :-D

Banned

Sounds a hamfull. Soaking it overnight doesnt sound right really, maybe do something that you can hamdle, like a turkey ?

you cooked it! thats where you went wrong.. obviously meat that been cooked ALL DAY will so tender it wil fall apart when you take it out

ryman1000;7286899

Sounds a hamfull. Soaking it overnight doesnt sound right really, maybe … Sounds a hamfull. Soaking it overnight doesnt sound right really, maybe do something that you can hamdle, like a turkey ?

no its a true process to soak a ham, most hams these days are pre-soaked though.

jasonrat;7286873

get a probe and cook it till it reaches required tempbest is to cook it … get a probe and cook it till it reaches required tempbest is to cook it for half hour in water then honey roast it

thats the way I cook my ham:thumbsup:

bossyboots;7286943

thats the way I cook my ham:thumbsup:

Mmmmmm! (licks lips) :-D

OMG gammo /ham is my fave meat.. my mum done it when we was visiting with honey , it was lovely i couldnt stop eating it x

Original Poster

It was 4kg. Said soak overnight if don't want it too salty.

Simmered for the time stated, was going to finish off in oven with honey as usual but seemed totally overcooked and as I said, fell apart, so no chance for the oven.

BTW have never used a meat probe......and my whole point is, overcooked...fell apart.

Will be great at easter but I like to have a side of ham to cut, no chance with this!!

My guess is that it wasn't boned correctly ?? Was it a Tesco special ??

Original Poster

hottoshop;7287155

My guess is that it wasn't boned correctly ?? Was it a Tesco special ??

Yes bought in Tesco......what do you mean special....finest / value range. Neither.

Mulled wine was a sucess though :oops:

iglimpse;7287199

Yes bought in Tesco......what do you mean special....finest / value … Yes bought in Tesco......what do you mean special....finest / value range. Neither.Mulled wine was a sucess though :oops:

They've been promoting various cuts and sizes of gammon recently at some pretty good prices.

We've bought a couple of the 1.8kg's and cooked one. Like yours ours fell apart and on closer inspection it was obvious it had not been boned correctly.
    Goodness knows who or what is doing the boning but one thing for sure, it wasn't a butcher.

If you're not happy with it take it back and get a refund, if you followed instructions correctly it should NOT fall apart.

HTH.

hottoshop;7287280

They've been promoting various cuts and sizes of gammon recently at some … They've been promoting various cuts and sizes of gammon recently at some pretty good prices.We've bought a couple of the 1.8kg's and cooked one. Like yours ours fell apart and on closer inspection it was obvious it had not been boned correctly.Goodness knows who or what is doing the boning but one thing for sure, it wasn't a butcher.If you're not happy with it take it back and get a refund, if you followed instructions correctly it should NOT fall apart.HTH.

what he said
    obviously not boned properly
    prob hacked and put together with string/netting

Yeah as above. I alwayss soak mine for hours, get rid of all the curing stuff they put in

Did you take the netting / plastic off before cooking it?

You should good it with it still attached inorder to hold the joint together, then when you remove teh joint be as careful as possible with it, and let it stand for a decent amount of time before you attempt to remove the bindings and / or carve it.

Original Poster

There was no netting / string.

Have not taken it back. Cut into section and frozen. Will get another one....any suggestions for a better boned ham???

iglimpse;7308495

There was no netting / string.Have not taken it back. Cut into section … There was no netting / string.Have not taken it back. Cut into section and frozen. Will get another one....any suggestions for a better boned ham???

To be honest it depends on what your budget is and how many you are catering for.

If you have a flexible budget then go to a proper butcher / deli and tell them exactly what you want and they should prepare it for you there and then.

If you have less of a budget then the Tesco 1.8kg are a good buy and they are wrapped so providing they are not cooked too violently/quickly they should hold together fine.

After cooking don't attempt to cut it until it has cooled down. Let it stand for at least 20 minutes and more if you can.

HTH.

Original Poster

Cheers for that

iglimpse;7317887

Cheers for that

You're welcome and I hope Christmas and your meal go well for you, I'm sure they will.

There is loads of different things you can do with ham and you would be very unlucky to spoil it. One of the recent things I read and tried is a marmalade glaze and that was lovely. Honey is another.

You can part boil the ham and finish off by baking it if you are doing a glaze etc or you can just bake it.
    Really the sky is the limit although I must admit I would never freeze ham and using the leftovers in a curry is a definite no no because of the salt content. (IMO)

Anyway Google is your friend for recipes and I'm off because I've started waffling. :w00t::whistling::-D

Take care. :santa:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Biscuit addiction2060
      2. Sold item on eBay from UK - buyer from USA810
      3. What do I do if item is damaged I bought on eBay.69
      4. Finally got a Xbox one s33

See more discussions