Cooker broken, any help to fix?

Posted 22nd Mar
Hi all, probably the worst time for things to break as repairmen will be hard to find and buying new has a 10 day delivery slot.

I'll fix it myself if I can source the parts, probably Ebay or Amazon. Our main oven has packed in with no heat coming from it. The fan part is still working and the light comes on.

I've never repaired a cooker before. Is there anything we can check like a fuse or possible reasons it's not working?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

23 Comments
Sounds like the element has gone. Think I paid around £20/30 for mine last year. Obviously it depends on the make and model. But it's a simple unscrew the old and connect and screw the new one in. If I can do it anyone can lol.

Found a website espares.co.uk/sea…ker elements&match=e&plid=&pdv=m&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmdzzBRC7ARIsANdqRRkw3RjkaXU8X8_khAclHt_ql7FyTB3zkHpg1VDwYimK4lF-1OqtFicaAqeqEALw_wcB
Edited by: "STRICKIBHOY" 22nd Mar
Could be anything, most likely the element or the thermostat. Just replaced the element on my mother’s cooker around a month ago as it had the same issue. Cost £15 off eBay and works a treat. Took around 10 mins to replace
I had the same problem last year and it was the element. Cost about £15 if I remember rightly from Amazon. Google elements for your make and model number of oven. I am terrible at DIY but it was a simple case of disconnecting the old one and then a like for like swap....good luck!
Really appreciate the help.

Where is the element located? ie. unscrew the back or do I access it from inside the oven?
Gas or electric? Obviously if you don’t know what your doing don’t risk it. I know things are mental at the moment but there’s no point in putting yourself at risk.
It's an electric oven. I just watched a Youtube video and it's an easy 10 minute fix. I access it through the oven itself. Thanks all, I'll order the part on Amazon or Ebay.

I wouldn't have known where to start, HUKD turns up trumps again.
It should be inside the oven. Make sure you isolate the oven before doing anything. Should be a panel at the back of the oven. Unscrew and you will see the element. Unscrew the element and replace with new one. Simple enough to do. Check with local electrical shops to see if they have one in stock for your cooker.
GlentoranMark22/03/2020 12:30

Really appreciate the help.Where is the element located? ie. unscrew the …Really appreciate the help.Where is the element located? ie. unscrew the back or do I access it from inside the oven?

More info required eg make/model....as requested ^^^ up there ^^^
Sounds like the element, it is 2 wires and 3 screws usually... Really easy fix
Look inside the oven from the front... You should see screws at the back near the fan grill, take off that plate and then unscrew the element and take off the 2 wires (little bit fiddly so be careful) and then do the same to refit.... Don't forget to turn it off at the mains0
Edited by: "Douglas_Birks" 22nd Mar
Thanks all, have ordered the part from Amazon.
Douglas_Birks22/03/2020 13:07

Look inside the oven from the front... You should see screws at the back …Look inside the oven from the front... You should see screws at the back near the fan grill, take off that plate and then unscrew the element and take off the 2 wires (little bit fiddly so be careful) and then do the same to refit.... Don't forget to turn it off at the mains0

By off at the mains, the circuit breaker or fuse box. Don’t rely on the switch on the wall in the kitchen.
did someone just say JUSTEAT
Check out E spares. I know you've ordered the element, but there are loads of videos on there.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 22nd Mar
Ringfinger22/03/2020 18:36

Check out spares. I know you've ordered the element, but there are loads …Check out spares. I know you've ordered the element, but there are loads of videos on there.

Thanks, seems easy enough. I opened up where the element is located and it's totally burnt out so I'm confident it's that problem. I actually checked to buy a new cooker but the element cost just £12.99 on Ebay. There were cheaper but this was the one with my model #.

Sincerely thanks for everyone's help.
I think you will find self-employed tradesmen quite easy to find. They will all be quiet & short of money.
Willy_Wonka22/03/2020 18:48

I think you will find self-employed tradesmen quite easy to find. They …I think you will find self-employed tradesmen quite easy to find. They will all be quiet & short of money.

I'm in the same boat mate :/
GlentoranMark22/03/2020 18:51

I'm in the same boat mate :/

Oh there will be a good half a million with work drying up sharply.
Just want to say thank you to all who helped. The part arrived today (pretty slow but I'm in NI so understand) and as posted it was a 10 minute fix, if a little fiddly.

I'd honestly looked at buying a new cooker but delivery slots were 2 weeks away.

Sincerely thanks
GlentoranMark28/03/2020 17:05

Just want to say thank you to all who helped. The part arrived today …Just want to say thank you to all who helped. The part arrived today (pretty slow but I'm in NI so understand) and as posted it was a 10 minute fix, if a little fiddly.I'd honestly looked at buying a new cooker but delivery slots were 2 weeks away.Sincerely thanks

Pleased you got it sorted Amazon have cooker spares, got mine just after xmas a few years ago. Needed an element and hubby fixed it in no time
GlentoranMark28/03/2020 17:05

Just want to say thank you to all who helped. The part arrived today …Just want to say thank you to all who helped. The part arrived today (pretty slow but I'm in NI so understand) and as posted it was a 10 minute fix, if a little fiddly.I'd honestly looked at buying a new cooker but delivery slots were 2 weeks away.Sincerely thanks

Great news, now what's for tea?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants