Expired

Cooker hood not working

Found 3rd Apr 2014
Hello, I had my cooker hood installed with my kitchen in August last year. I bought the Logic, black one from Currys. The other day, there was a bang from the cooker hood and the lights went out on it - the extractor fan on it stopped as well. I did read in the manual that the bulbs were supposed to work independently from the fan, however, I replaced the lights tonight (one of them had blown). The cooker hood still does not work at all. My son changed the fuse on it (at the wall socket) and it still is not working - does anybody have any idea what could have happened? Thank you.

1. Ask
  2. Cooker
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Cooker
12 Comments

It's still under warranty get some one to look at it from currys? as long as it was installed correctly it is up to them to repair. p's motor may have blown..

after changing fuse arer lights now working
if they are then the motor has probably blown
if so still under guarantee

Sounds like it's had enough of your cooking. X)

Seriously though, if the fuse has blown it means it has an electrical fault of some kind, seek expert advice.

Original Poster

No, the lights are not working at all after changing the fuse. I'm just actually wondering if it could be something more - the electric vent on the kitchen wall that is constantly on low, when switching it on to full, it now takes around 3 attempts to get it to initially stay on, but then after a couple of minutes it will turn itself off and then later come back on. We also had our wired in smoke alarms turning themselves on a few days ago, and had to take the covers off, etc, as they were also coming on in the middle of the night when we were all in bed - I actually thought they were coming on as they needed replacing (should have been replaced late last year), however, now beginning to wonder if there is an electrical fault somewhere, but don't understand why as we had the kitchen rewired/updated last Summer and the whole house rewired around 7 years.

So one of the bulbs had blown, and you've replaced it, and your son has changed the fuse, yet still nothing works.
Well you've done as much as a consumer can be expected to do, it now needs an electrician, so contact Currys and explain whats happened and what you've changed.
I doubt its the fan motor, otherwise the lights would still work, sounds more like fault with the wiring or switch within the hood.
Whatever it is, as its less than a year old it should be covered under the warranty.

Original Poster

Thank you for all the advice. Not too sure what to do now - I had to have my cooker moved to the other side of my kitchen and placed between two cupboard units - before it was installed in the corner of my kitchen, but I was told that for health and safety reasons it had to be moved (I live in a Council house). I bought the cooker hood and some electricians employed by the Council installed it all, etc. If it is still under warranty, would Currys sort it out (seeing they did not actually install it initially), or, would the Council electricians have to fix the problem, or do you think the Council would say it is now not their responsibility seeing it is under warranty? Any advice appreciated please. Thank you.

Call out council electrician to check electrics first. If OK then get Curries to fix or replace hood.

ring currys. they send a engineer out to replace the motor.

Original Poster

Thank you, will call the council first to get an electrician to check things out, if ok, will then call Curries to replace the motor - only had the cooker hood put in last August, do the motors actually go that quick? Paid about £80 for the cooker hood, so if the motor doesn't even last 8 months then it is going to be a costly thing to keep replacing isn't it?

Sophiasky

Thank you, will call the council first to get an electrician to check … Thank you, will call the council first to get an electrician to check things out, if ok, will then call Curries to replace the motor - only had the cooker hood put in last August, do the motors actually go that quick? Paid about £80 for the cooker hood, so if the motor doesn't even last 8 months then it is going to be a costly thing to keep replacing isn't it?

Yes the cheap ones do go quick. its worth buying a decent brand cooker hood and clean the grease filter regularly. As this allows a good flow and not causing the motor to struggle with the air suction

Hi I do have similar problem in my house. Can you please let me know how did you sort that out?
Thank you

Original Poster

narasimhap_24

Hi I do have similar problem in my house. Can you please let me know how … Hi I do have similar problem in my house. Can you please let me know how did you sort that out?Thank you

Hello, when I had my cooker installed when my kitchen was being done, I had the cooker wired in and there is a socket (with a red switch) on the kitchen wall which says 'cooker hood' on it. However, one thing that I did not realise was that when they fixed the cooker hood to the wall (mine extends and goes right up to the ceiling), for some reason they put another socket (with a plug) behind the cooker hood, so it was hidden out of site. I did not realise this until I got an electrician out to see what the problem was. Apparently, there was nothing wrong with the motor in the cooker hood, all it was, was a fuse that had blown in the socket located behind the cooker hood. Do you know if you have a socket installed behind your cooker hood? Didn't realise I had one, as there is already a 'cooker hood' switch on the wall with a couple of other sockets alongside it (level with the work top). Perhaps you might find the problem is the same as what I had?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants