Cooking a Turkey (Crown in my case )

Found 22nd Dec 2017
I suspect we all agree that for the last 15 mins the breasts should be laid bare from roasting bag or foil to brown . Now a Turkey can be a dry bird so what tips do members have to increase the succulence of said bird . My thoughts
a) Separate the skin from the breast meat by poking your hand in -shove in butter and chives (or herbs of your choice ) between skin and breast .
b) Use a roasting bag for the initial roasting
c) Upside down for first 30 mins/ 1 hour ? A matter for debate
d) Turkey crown on a trivet with onions /veg of your choice beneath trivet .

The aim of this is to keep sufficient moisture within the bird (or part thereof) so it will still remain succulent after the final browning and subsequent resting period .

Have tried various methods around this theme over many years - but the best laid plans can be cast asunder after a few lunchtime beers down the Pub on Xmas lunchtime ! (forgot the Parsnips last year )

Any other methods/theories would be of great interest to me and maybe others .

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

If you rub the breasts with both hands for around 5 minutes, with a bit of Ed Sheeran on the radio, the bird will be beautifully moist! Problem solved!

Angel_Of_The_North21 m ago

If you rub the breasts with both hands for around 5 minutes, with a bit of …If you rub the breasts with both hands for around 5 minutes, with a bit of Ed Sheeran on the radio, the bird will be beautifully moist! Problem solved!

I thought it was only me who found the opening post a little erotic

On another note... does Ed Sheeran really work? I mean, he's got ginger hair hasn't he?
Edited by: "deeky" 22nd Dec 2017
24 Comments

I wasn't keen on the idea of oranges, but I found this to give the best results. Link.

Original Poster

bo0td5 m ago

I wasn't keen on the idea of oranges, but I found this to give the best …I wasn't keen on the idea of oranges, but I found this to give the best results. Link.

I can see that , a bit of acetic acid can only improve the flavour, I'll chuck a clementine in this year . Thanks for the tip .

If you rub the breasts with both hands for around 5 minutes, with a bit of Ed Sheeran on the radio, the bird will be beautifully moist! Problem solved!

Angel_Of_The_North21 m ago

If you rub the breasts with both hands for around 5 minutes, with a bit of …If you rub the breasts with both hands for around 5 minutes, with a bit of Ed Sheeran on the radio, the bird will be beautifully moist! Problem solved!

On another note... does Ed Sheeran really work? I mean, he's got ginger hair hasn't he?
Edited by: "deeky" 22nd Dec 2017

Original Poster

But wouldn't that lead to the "bird " being "overdone" even maybe a little "flambe " ?

Original Poster

deeky5 m ago

Wasn't meant to be but you know what they are like on here once the kids are in bed , twisting my every word

rogparki10 m ago

Wasn't meant to be but you know what they are like on here once …Wasn't meant to be but you know what they are like on here once the kids are in bed , twisting my every word

Yeah, it was only when Angel... said that, it got me thinking

Original Poster

deeky3 m ago

Yeah, it was only when Angel... said that, it got me thinking …Yeah, it was only when Angel... said that, it got me thinking

And me until then it was entirely innocent Honest !

Angel_Of_The_North43 m ago

Hello stranger

it has to be cooked to death for that authentic, xmas dinner

You will get better results if you cook it in an oven rather than in a case.

Gravy is for this put gravy on it and stop faffing around

I recommend poaching or steaming for that moistness.
You need a big pan though.
Else roast turkey upside down and turn over in last 15 mins to brown breast.

Angel_Of_The_North7 h, 44 m ago

Not for an old turkey.

Herb butter rubbed under skin of breast
Baste regularly
Remove foil for last 30mins
Then the most important part,
Let the poor thing rest after you have dragged it out of the oven, for at least 40 minutes before carving and serving.

Eat out.

Hi place plenty if bitter between the skin & crown then cover with bacon cover with foil and cook. Baste your crown every 30 .mins with the juices a few times ànd put a bowl of water on the top shelf of your oven as the water puts moisture into the air of your oven and helps reduce to dryness of your turkey crown but remember not to over cook . 20 mins per 1lb in weight then add another 20 mins at the end . Rebaste when your turkey is removed from the oven and allow to stand for a little .your turkey will be so succulent .

MSK.16 h, 6 m ago

Hello stranger

HI MSK, the reindeer dragged me back! I still visit HUKD way more than I should, costs me a fortune but I’m addicted! Hope you’re well xxx

splender9 h, 7 m ago

Not for an old turkey.

I don’t know, us old birds have plenty juice left in us!

deeky16 h, 36 m ago

Yeah, it was only when Angel... said that, it got me thinking …Yeah, it was only when Angel... said that, it got me thinking

rogparki16 h, 32 m ago

And me until then it was entirely innocent Honest !

I’ve no idea what you mean?
hope you guys are well xxx

Angel_Of_The_North6 m ago

HI MSK, the reindeer dragged me back! I still visit HUKD way more …HI MSK, the reindeer dragged me back! I still visit HUKD way more than I should, costs me a fortune but I’m addicted! Hope you’re well xxx

Why haven’t you been engaging on misc lately.
Your absence has been noted.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 22nd Dec 2017

Toptrumpet9 m ago

Why haven’t you been engaging on misc lately. Your absence has been noted. …Why haven’t you been engaging on misc lately. Your absence has been noted.

Sorry sir, I’ll be attending more often in the New Year

Original Poster

Angel_Of_The_North2 h, 10 m ago

Sorry sir, I’ll be attending more often in the New Year

The mind is still in boggle mode having digested (almost !) your tips on how to keep the bird moist

No one should have a problem with a turkey crown.

The problem comes from the dark meat on a full turkey taking double the time to cook than the white meat. Spatchcock it if you've a big enough oven, that should reduce the cooking time of the dark meat to be more in line with the breast.

For a crown, go get a meat probe, bring it to 175 internal and rest it to 180. or 180 oven to 185 resting. If you can cook a roast chicken you've no excuse for over-cooking a turkey crown.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions