Cooking a whole chicken in a slow cooker - have you ever tried it?

I bought a chuck today to cook tomorrow in the slow cooker. I've been doing some reading online, and watching YouTube videos to get tips. Some people say put the chicken upside down, others say not to. Some say to cook it on balls on tin foil to lift it off the bottom of the crock pot (you could use veggies I suppose but I don't have any carrots), others don't.Some say to rub it with oil, others don't.

Have you ever cooked a whole chicken in a slow cooker? What are your best tips? What gives the best flavour?

35 Comments

Just put it in normal way up with a little water and seasoning. Be careful not to overdo as it gets so tender it falls to bits when you try to lift it out. Very tasty nevertheless.

Needs to be off the bottom though. I was going to say carrots, but you don't have any

I always do my on top of spuds and carrots, and put them in the oven near end of cooking to crisp up, I do put mine upside down, but no added liquid needed, as it produces so much, but they do fall apart very easily

I use tinfoil balls to keep it off the bottom, any veg you use will just be mush. I sprinkle paprika over the chicken for flavour and a bit of colour.

I've cooked it with no liquid added and nothing underneath and it was ok, I cook it on veggies now. Don't leave it too long or it'll fall apart when you lift it up

whitebook

I use tinfoil balls to keep it off the bottom, any veg you use will just … I use tinfoil balls to keep it off the bottom, any veg you use will just be mush. I sprinkle paprika over the chicken for flavour and a bit of colour.

I always heard cooking with Tin foil causes Alzheimer's, and not to be funny I can't recall where I heard that from. Always put me off of using it though.

Never heard that one, spose you could use baking paper or small ramican dishes if you didn't want to take the chance.

my slow cooker has three settings low, high and automatic (auto). I have had my slow cooker for over 20 years and have never thought about cooking a whole chicken in it. Please tell me what size chicken you suggest and what setting and how many hours. It sounds a fantastic idea. Thank you.

I've cooked whole chickens like this for years. I don't bother with tin foil balls or veggies, I just use a mug full of water then throw the chicken in. It always comes out so tender and moist. You probably won't get the chicken back out in one piece though as it will be falling apart. I also use slow cooker liners, especially if I'm cooking a chicken, as you can just dispose of it really easily when you're done.

Original Poster

Thank you everyone! I might use potatoes as a base (or not), and definitely not tin foil if there's any risk. The question is... do I use water if I'm not using veggies? My slow cooker only has high, low and off - no auto. Not sure how auto would work though!

Websites recommend you cook a whole chicken for 6-7 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high. As for size, you get one that will fit in your crock pot. I confess I bought a £2.99 small chicken from Asda and not a free range organic bird (I would if I could afford to but at the moment, I can't due to a massive vets bill).

squiff

Thank you everyone! I might use potatoes as a base (or not), and … Thank you everyone! I might use potatoes as a base (or not), and definitely not tin foil if there's any risk. The question is... do I use water if I'm not using veggies? My slow cooker only has high, low and off - no auto. Not sure how auto would work though! Websites recommend you cook a whole chicken for 6-7 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high. As for size, you get one that will fit in your crock pot. I confess I bought a £2.99 small chicken from Asda and not a free range organic bird (I would if I could afford to but at the moment, I can't due to a massive vets bill).

Personally I've found the chicken creates loads of juice already. No need to add any extra.

Yeah 6-7 on low should be fine. Enough liquid will come off the chicken. Can rub the chicken with any spices or crushed garlic etc.

Thank you for your help. I'm gad you started this thread. I am going to get a chicken for my slow cooker. Yay !!!

Original Poster

xxdeborahxx

Thank you for your help. I'm gad you started this thread. I am going to … Thank you for your help. I'm gad you started this thread. I am going to get a chicken for my slow cooker. Yay !!!

Aww! We can learn how to cook a chicken together, lol!

Infinitesd

I always heard cooking with Tin foil causes Alzheimer's, and not to be … I always heard cooking with Tin foil causes Alzheimer's, and not to be funny I can't recall where I heard that from. Always put me off of using it though.

Only if the shiny side is on the outside. X)

rub with olive oil garlic paste paprika salt and pepper and a dash of Worcestershire sauce...done it loads of times..no water
added but with all kinds of vegetables

Original Poster

afnoor

rub with olive oil garlic paste paprika salt and pepper and a dash of … rub with olive oil garlic paste paprika salt and pepper and a dash of Worcestershire sauce...done it loads of times..no water added but with all kinds of vegetables

Thank you. I'll give something like that a bash!

So glad I read this - didn't know you could cook a whole chicken in here! I really need educating on the uses of my slow cooker!!

I just put it in upside down and season, it's so easy. I have also done a leg of lamb.

dont do it, it'll turn to mush and you'll have to dig all the bones out.

just spatchcock it and it'll cook i the oven in 30 - 40 minutes

you're asking for trouble cooking a whole chicken on a long and low temperature, if there is any nasties on the chicken you will give your whole family food poisoning, add to that you have all the stuff from the internal cavity going in to your meal, if at the slaughterhouse the intestines or stomach was ruptured, you'll have all kinds of bacteria in there.

a whole chicken is one thing I wouldn't trust in a slow cooker.

Edited by: "eset12345" 13th Dec 2016

Original Poster

eset12345

dont do it, it'll turn to mush and you'll have to dig all the bones … dont do it, it'll turn to mush and you'll have to dig all the bones out.just spatchcock it and it'll cook i the oven in 30 - 40 minutesyou're asking for trouble cooking a whole chicken on a long and low temperature, if there is any nasties on the chicken you will give your whole family food poisoning, add to that you have all the stuff from the internal cavity going in to your meal, if at the slaughterhouse the intestines or stomach was ruptured, you'll have all kinds of bacteria in there.a whole chicken is one thing I wouldn't trust in a slow cooker.

You're the only person on the internet that I have found with that opinion. Interesting. I will look into it.

PS. What's spatchcocking?
Edited by: "squiff" 13th Dec 2016

squiff

Thank you everyone! I might use potatoes as a base (or not), and … Thank you everyone! I might use potatoes as a base (or not), and definitely not tin foil if there's any risk. The question is... do I use water if I'm not using veggies? My slow cooker only has high, low and off - no auto. Not sure how auto would work though! Websites recommend you cook a whole chicken for 6-7 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high. As for size, you get one that will fit in your crock pot. I confess I bought a £2.99 small chicken from Asda and not a free range organic bird (I would if I could afford to but at the moment, I can't due to a massive vets bill).

As long as you don't own a pet chicken...

eset12345

dont do it, it'll turn to mush and you'll have to dig all the bones … dont do it, it'll turn to mush and you'll have to dig all the bones out.just spatchcock it and it'll cook i the oven in 30 - 40 minutesyou're asking for trouble cooking a whole chicken on a long and low temperature, if there is any nasties on the chicken you will give your whole family food poisoning, add to that you have all the stuff from the internal cavity going in to your meal, if at the slaughterhouse the intestines or stomach was ruptured, you'll have all kinds of bacteria in there.a whole chicken is one thing I wouldn't trust in a slow cooker.

Had slow cooked chicken many, many, many times, and never had an issue. Never had it turn to mush, or had to dig bones out.

As long as it's cooked through, there's no issue.

I use 2 ramekins to keep off bottom and seal lid with foil.till it shrinks a bit xx yummy

Shouldn't need any water - the juices from the chicken would do the job. Only add liquid for flavour in my opinion (e.g. chicken stock, gravy or white wine). If you don't have one, I suggest you purchase a meat thermometer to help you tell when it's cooked through. Using a baster also helps to keep it moist and flavoursome. Add a bit of thyme, lemon thyme, oregano, sage or rosemary for extra flavour.

I've never cooked a whole chicken in the slow cooker . I'll certainly give it a go . Thanks for starting this thread op. With regards to the tin foil ramekin vegetable debate , I put mine on sliced onion when I roast it
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 14th Dec 2016

miikeyblue

Had slow cooked chicken many, many, many times, and never had an issue. … Had slow cooked chicken many, many, many times, and never had an issue. Never had it turn to mush, or had to dig bones out. As long as it's cooked through, there's no issue.

it only takes once before you're exploding from both ends for a week

squiff

You're the only person on the internet that I have found with that … You're the only person on the internet that I have found with that opinion. Interesting. I will look into it.PS. What's spatchcocking?

i'm sure im not the only one, but as a chef for over a decade i'd errr on the side of cation when it comes to chicken, lethal things if they have been mishandled.

spatchcocking

removing the backbone and flattening it out so the whole bird cooks in the same time as a chicken leg would, much better way to cook a chicken, if you put it in the oven legs first you'll end up with perfectly cooked legs and a succulent breasts in about 30 - 40 minutes.

http://hilahcooking.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/spatchcock-chicken-01.jpg

Slow cooker is such a waste of time and energy. Use pressure cooker instead.

Chicken is the only meat that ain't nice in slow cooker. We use a halogen oven. The bowl type on the side. It's spot on in that

I cook pork and gammon in mine but never tried chicken so will do next time. Has anyone cooked a joint of beef in one? I cook mine in the oven oil it is so tender it falls apart and for Christmas normally leave it on low overnight in the oven. If I could do it overnight in slow cooker that would be fab. One of the joys of my Christmas is waking up to the smell of roast beef!

Original Poster

I love doing gammon in my slow cooker. It's about a year since I last did it, when I cooked it in Coke (everyone was raving about it at the time) and I didn't particularly like it.

Anyway, the chicken went in at 11am on low and it's still cooking. I stuffed garlic cloves under the skin and seasoned it with herbs (can't remember which ones now). I put it straight in the pot (without veg or ramekins or balls of tin foil) with a stock cube and a small amount of water. It's still cooking but should be ready about 6.30pm. I'm going to cook veg separately - parsnips instead of carrots - and do some stuffing too. I'll let you know what it was like after I've eaten it, but I'll check it's properly cooked very carefully first.

Original Poster

It completely and utterly fell apart... but tasted delicious once I'd fished the bones out. Won't be doing that again in a hurry!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Consensus seems to be cook on low for 4-7 hours depending on size (and internal temperature) of chicken!

reddit.com/r/s…all

For more slowcooking recipes, talk etc check out the sub

reddit.com/r/s…ng/

squiff

It completely and utterly fell apart... but tasted delicious once I'd … It completely and utterly fell apart... but tasted delicious once I'd fished the bones out. Won't be doing that again in a hurry!

Thanks for keeping us updated. I still will try it though.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Problem with new double glazed installation66
    2. whats a worthy sony x3 compact replacement?49
    3. Buyers Surveyor undervalued our house44
    4. Does Tesco call you after a delivery?45

See more discussions