Groups

Cooking gammon

As per the title, I have a 2.5kg gammon that I'd like to cook the day before crimbo.

I'd like to have crackling but I'm also going to do a honey glaze.

Anyone got any tips or special 'formulas'?

I'm also not sure about putting the honey glaze on the skin as I think that will soften the crackling - can anyone confirm?

My current plan is to sear it in a frying pan first, then put in in the oven on 200+ to get the crackling nice and crispy, then turn it down to cook more slowly before adding the honey glaze in the last 30 minutes - basting every ten minutes.

17 Comments

Watching with interest. Didn't realise it was possible to get crackling on gammon (unless it's transplanted)

Original Poster

SuffolkLad222

Watching with interest. Didn't realise it was possible to get crackling … Watching with interest. Didn't realise it was possible to get crackling on gammon (unless it's transplanted)

sainsburys.co.uk/sho…kg)

Why don't you think the skin will make great crackling?

Because you don't generally get skin on gammon joints

I usually do the coke recipe for gammon so I buy a bit of skin & make it separately. Lay a large clean tea towel out, put skin on it, heavily score it, rub with LOTS of salt do NOT put in fridge.

Wrap skin up in tea towel for several hours

Take skin out & use hair dryer to really dry it out before salting & wrapping back up for a few hours.

Now roast skin & you'll get the most amazing crackling
    Edited by: "Rich44" 21st Dec 2016

wait until the crackling is crispy take it off the joint put to one side then glaze the uncovered gammon put back in oven for 15-20 minster job done

minutes

Original Poster

Rich44

Because you don't generally get skin on gammon jointsI usually do the … Because you don't generally get skin on gammon jointsI usually do the coke recipe for gammon so I buy a bit of skin & make it separately. Lay a large clean tea towel out, put skin on it, heavily score it, rub with LOTS of salt do NOT put in fridge. Wrap skin up in tea towel for several hoursTake skin out & use hair dryer to really dry it out before salting & wrapping back up for a few hours. Now roast skin & you'll get the most amazing crackling

Sounds good! I did hear someone else mention using paper towels in a similar way.

Original Poster

dafunq

https://snapguide.com/guides/cook-a-pork-shoulder-get-crispy-crackling-on-top/ this made amazing crispy crackling

Thanks, nice detailed instructions - I might add pepper as I love the taste.

Usually i rest my pork thrn the crackling is taken off and back in the oven for a while to crispen up

I like the idea of soaking a Gammon Joint in Coca Cola overnight and cooking it using that method, never heard of it before up until recently...seems very popular as well.

My favourite gammon recipe (just discovered) is putting half a jar of marmalade in the slow cooker, trim the fat off the gammon, score the top into diamond shapes and stud it with cloves in between the diamonds. Cook on slow for 6-7 hours and turn every two hours to coat the gammon in the gorgeous glaze, then get your munch on! It tastes soooo Christmassy and is very moreish!

Edited by: "squiff" 21st Dec 2016

FTCom

I like the idea of soaking a Gammon Joint in Coca Cola overnight and … I like the idea of soaking a Gammon Joint in Coca Cola overnight and cooking it using that method, never heard of it before up until recently...seems very popular as well.

Gammon and Coke in the slow cooker is good, saves soaking it overnight.

Original Poster

I found this link for making the best crackling - apparently using a hair dryer and goose fat gets the best results.

I cook mine in cider in the slow cooker

boil it as you normally would a ham but for slightly less time because you'll be glazing it in the oven after, about 1 1/2 hours for that size of gammon, if you have a temperature probe take it to about 55 degrees.

once its cooked, remove the skin by running your hand between the skin and fat, this swill leave a nice rough surface for the glaze.

baking tray covered in greaseproof paper, skin flat on top, fat side down, no additional oil, salt and pepper it, in to the oven on as high as it will go for about 45 minutes, half way through drain off any fat.

to glaze the ham / gammon, stud with cloves, in a pan melt some honey, brown sugar, black treacle, mustard and all spice / mixed spice, baste over the ham,place in to the same hot oven as the crackling, every 10 minutes remove and baste more of the glaze, after 4 - 5 coats it will be done and have a nice thick sticky glaze and so will your crispy perfect crackling.

i'd always recommend boiling the ham over a purely roasted ham / gammon because you end up with a more uniformly cooked roast which is a lot juicier, and the 'leftover' ham will last a lot longer than a purely roasted joint.
    Edited by: "eset12345" 21st Dec 2016

Original Poster

Thanks for all the good tips - I think I'll try the coke one next time
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheapest Place to Buy Half Decent LED Bulbs - Bayonet & Spots54
      2. Upgrading qacoustic speaker setup33
      3. Google assistant notification811
      4. cheap glasses websites811

See more discussions